Bob H

Default Winter Storage and NOT Winterizing?

In my search up here in the northern states for a Regal cruiser I've =
come across several parties that have their vessel in heated storage. =
They claim that they do not winterize their boat.

Put aside the obvious risk of "What if you loose power and heat" ... =
what about the engine? I thought it was not good to leave it sit for =
5-6 months with raw water in the block, as rust corrosion would be =
accelerated. I thought that was one of the side benefits of cooling =
system flush with winterizing fluid as it protected against corrosion.

Also ... I thought you were not supposed to leave the engine sit without =
fogging to protect internal surfaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic from practical, mechanical =
experience?

Thanks,

Bob

Wayne.B

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:11:03 -0600, "Bob H"
wrote:
In my search up here in the northern states for a Regal cruiser I've come across several parties that have their vessel in heated storage. They claim that they do not winterize their boat.

Put aside the obvious risk of "What if you loose power and heat" ... what about the engine? I thought it was not good to leave it sit for 5-6 months with raw water in the block, as rust corrosion would be accelerated. I thought that was one of the side benefits of cooling system flush with winterizing fluid as it protected against corrosion.

Also ... I thought you were not supposed to leave the engine sit without fogging to protect internal surfaces.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic from practical, mechanical experience?

Leaving a block with fresh water in it for the winter is not really a
problem, salt water however is undesirable for obvious reasons.

Fogging is not the same thing as winterizing and should be done
regardless, but there are many boats left idle for extended periods
without it.