Russ

Default Boat Sales Info Needed

I own a 34' boat that I am going to sell privately in Maryland. It now has
Maryland sticker and is documented. Anyone know if there is a one stop web
site that
will help guide me through the process of selling it privately? I would
also like to find help on a simple bill of sale or any other pertinent
documents that might be needed for the sale.

renewontime dot com

I own a 34' boat that I am going to sell privately in Maryland. It now has
Maryland sticker and is documented.

It has a Maryland registration -and- is USCG Documented?

I would
also like to find help on a simple bill of sale or any other pertinent
documents that might be needed for the sale.

If the vessel is -only- registered with the state and the dollar amount is
low, you may be able to just contact the State of Maryland and find out what
forms they require to transfer ownership. The exact wording of a bill of
sale is something a lawyer should draft, but you may be able to find a
sample (what lawyers call "Boiler Plate") on the net some place.

If the vessel is USCG documented, then the process can be more complicated.
It is possible to do the entire transaction yourself, but I don't recommend
it. You're better off finding a good vessel documentation service to handle
it for you.

This process is one of those things that spending a couple hundred dollars
now for a professional service to handle may save you thousands of dollars
later...

Hope this helps,

Paul

Rosalie B.

"renewontime dot com" wrote:

I own a 34' boat that I am going to sell privately in Maryland. It now has
Maryland sticker and is documented.

It has a Maryland registration -and- is USCG Documented?

In MD that is required. All boats have to have the sticker - they
just don't have to have the numbers on the bow if they are documented.

I would
also like to find help on a simple bill of sale or any other pertinent
documents that might be needed for the sale.

If the vessel is -only- registered with the state and the dollar amount is
low, you may be able to just contact the State of Maryland and find out what
forms they require to transfer ownership. The exact wording of a bill of
sale is something a lawyer should draft, but you may be able to find a
sample (what lawyers call "Boiler Plate") on the net some place.

You will have to pay the equivalent of sales tax on the sale I think.

If the vessel is USCG documented, then the process can be more complicated.
It is possible to do the entire transaction yourself, but I don't recommend
it. You're better off finding a good vessel documentation service to handle
it for you.

This process is one of those things that spending a couple hundred dollars
now for a professional service to handle may save you thousands of dollars
later...

Hope this helps,

Paul

grandma Rosalie