BoatBanter.com

-   -   Not wanting to be found (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/27103-not-wanting-found.html)

Gogarty January 17th 05 02:41 PM

In article , says...

wrote:
THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. I have nothing to hide, jeez.

I'm bored enough on a Saturday night to get into this one...:)

IOW, anyone who really wants to disappear can do it with some planning.

It used to be in this country if you wanted to disappear it was the simplest
thing in the world. Sigh! Not anymore.

Gogarty January 17th 05 02:42 PM

In article , says...

WaIIy wrote:

Any cash withdrawal of $10,000 or more gets reported to the federal
government.

If I recall correctly, a few years ago there was some deal to report
"unusual activity" of anyone's account to the feds.

ahh...the land of the free!

Yup.

Glenn Ashmore January 17th 05 03:31 PM

"Gogarty" wrote in message
IOW, anyone who really wants to disappear can do it with some planning.

It used to be in this country if you wanted to disappear it was the

simplest
thing in the world. Sigh! Not anymore.

If you want to stay legal, find a really dangerous mobster and testify
against him. That will get you in witness protection. OTOH, it does have a
few drawbacks. ;-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Dag Stenberg January 17th 05 07:17 PM

Gogarty wrote:
In article ,
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom says...
I can't believe anyone is even responding to this wacko.

Oh come on! It's an interesting exercise.

Actually, yes. There are thriller novels where the hero actually
does disapperar in a sail yacht, "you can cruise the Caribbean until the
end of time without being detected". I did think it was a bit strange
when I read that. I would like to cite a title, but my bookshelf is a
mess.

Dag Stenberg

Gogarty January 18th 05 03:16 PM

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a highjacked cruise ship in the western
Atlantic outside the Caribbean that all the resources of the US Navy and
several others could not find for several days. Does anyone recall that
incident?

Wayne.B January 19th 05 01:43 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:21:15 -0500, rhys wrote:

You ARE Captain Ron, sailing the "Marguritaville" to USVIs after a
messy divorce.

===================

I think that's already been done. There are waiting lists for Captain
Ron entry permits.

Richard P. January 19th 05 04:16 AM

I believe you may be referring to the Achille Lauro incident back on October 7, 1985, but that took
place in the Mediterranean. http://www.specialoperations.com/Ima...2/achille.html

Unless there was another one that I am not aware of and cannot locate any references to it via
Google.

Gogarty January 19th 05 12:51 PM

In article KalHd.120158$6l.42333@pd7tw2no, says...

"Gogarty" wrote:
Earlier in this thread I mentioned a highjacked cruise ship in the western
Atlantic outside the Caribbean that all the resources of the US Navy and
several others could not find for several days. Does anyone recall that
incident?

No, the Achille Lauro incident was quite different and much later. There was
never any doubt where that ship was at all times.

I'll find it. I remember it well. It was such a huge embarrassment to the US
Navy.

Gogarty January 19th 05 09:26 PM

In article KalHd.120158$6l.42333@pd7tw2no, says...

I believe you may be referring to the Achille Lauro incident back on October

7, 1985, but that took
place in the Mediterranean.

http://www.specialoperations.com/Ima...2/achille.html

Unless there was another one that I am not aware of and cannot locate any

references to it via
Google.

She was the Portugese liner "Santa Maria" and the event happened in 1961.

The hijacking took place after the ship departed from La Guaira. An armed band
of Portuguese political insurgents, traveling as passengers, took command of
the ship. Radio connections were stopped and, for several days, her
whereabouts were unknown. A huge air-sea search was mounted before the ship was
finally surrendered without any loss of life or damages. She was returned to
her owners at Recife in, Brazil and where the terrorists were arrested. Luis
Miguel Correia, Portugal's foremost maritime historian, recalled the event.
"Captain Henrique Galvao and his team of 24 Portuguese and Spanish rebels,
operating from a base in Venezuela, decided to attack a passenger ship from
one of the Iberian nations to protest the dictatorships of Franco in Spain and
Salazar in Portugal. The SANTA MARIA was selected because she was by far the
largest and best ship, although two Spanish liners, the COVADONGA and the
GUADALUPE, were also considered.

[email protected] January 20th 05 02:54 AM

Wayne.B wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:21:15 -0500, rhys wrote:

You ARE Captain Ron, sailing the "Marguritaville" to USVIs after a
messy divorce.

===================

I think that's already been done. There are waiting lists for

Captain
Ron entry permits.

Actually, I did think it might be a mildly interesting part of a
thriller novel if it was realistic. I am a poor writer of fiction so
somebody else should write it. My writing is mostly techie things (ok,
those are mostly fictitious too but not intentionally) and would be
unable to make it interesting. I could write pages on the mathmematics
of radar cross section but would anybody read it?
I also think a sorta "whodunit" involving the long distance cruising
community could be interesting as it would mix the sociology of
cruisers with (maybe) a good story. I reserve the screen rights.
As far as disappearing goes, it might be easier on land. Remember Eric
Rudolph? That was in N. Carolina where it gets cold. I think I could
walk into the N. Florida woods and disappear for a year or two if
necessary.
I also think some of the psychology of cruising involves "disappearing"
(never trust pop psychology from a physics geek)from society.