Paul Schilter

Doug,
I'm sorry but I find this statement funny. I doubt the FBI has the
stomach to monitor this newsgroup. I wouldn't take long to figure out it
was a waste of their time.
Paul

Doug Dotson wrote:
snipped
THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. I have nothing to hide, jeez.

You'd better. I hope that the Homeland Security and the FBI see it that
way. I happen to know that they monitor alot of these newsgroups
including this one.

snipped
Doug Dotson

Apparently they either have an interest or too much time on their
hands. But then again, when has any government organization had any
adversion to wasting time

Doug Dotson wrote:
snipped
THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. I have nothing to hide, jeez.

You'd better. I hope that the Homeland Security and the FBI see it that
way. I happen to know that they monitor alot of these newsgroups
including this one.

snipped

Doug Dotson

Why would the engines care about flooding the cockpit?

"Paul Schilter" wrote in message

dbohara,
This is funny, if you used the space blanket with the reflective side out
you'd light up like a bulb on the radar screen. I believe stealth
technology is based on absorbing the energy and then having acute angles
on the surface so the reflection that is left is diverted away. Floods his
cockpit? I don't think the engines would like this. The solution is
LEAD!!! Construct the whole boat of LEAD!!! :-)
Paul

wrote:
snipped
THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. I have nothing to hide, jeez. Really,
all this is about is my belief that some people are so reliant on high
tech stuff that they forget about elegant low tech solutions. Would
covering the entire boat with an aluminized "space blanket" with no
exposed edges or folds reduce the radar cross section much? I assume
the metal shrouds produce significant radar return so they are a
problem unless he somehow replaced them. We can assume that he either
doesnt run his engine or that he floods his cockpit partway to hide the
engine IR signature.
Go fast boats are probably easier to see than a small sailboat as their
power output is so high.

Peggie Hall

THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL. I have nothing to hide, jeez.

I'm bored enough on a Saturday night to get into this one...

IMO, how easy it would or wouldn't be to just disappear depends on the
circumstances. If you're a fugitive being sought, it might not be that
easy...but if you're someone who just wants to escape his life, it
should be very easy. Just buy a boat without telling anyone...tell your
friends and family that you have to go to Chicago, St, Louis,
Paris--anywhere but out to sea--for a week...set sail instead...giving
you at least a week's head start in a direction no one would ever look
in...and even when they do think of checking on your boat--the one
everyone knows you own--it'll still be in her slip. You could be
anywhere in the world before anyone figured out how or when you left, or
which direction to look. By then you've grown a beard, dyed your hair,
lost 20 lbs...the only thing that might give away your location is any
record of the places in which you've had to show your passport. But if
you're REALLY determined to disappear, it's not that hard these days to
get a new passport under a new name. Unless you're a fugitive, no one
would ever have any reason to question its legitimacy.

The only real issue would be money...but anyone planning such a move
should be smart enough to quietly start transferring funds to an
offshore account in an untraceable manner (convert to cash, deposit only
that cash to offshore account) months or even years ahead of time.

IOW, anyone who really wants to disappear can do it with some planning.

--
Peggie
----------

Your name

It is really quite simple and low-tech. You can guarantee you will not
be found only if you are not there!

Go out, sink the boat, come back in, and go anywhere but where they will
be searching for you.

Or, go out, turn around, and return to port well before the 36 hours.
Eventually the boat will be found, but that will only mean that at some
point in time you were somewhere in the world. Not very much to go on.

If you have trouble with this answer, I think you have some other
agenda. True, someone might want to disappear. But you've posed a
problem in which someone wants to disappear using an empty gum wrapper,
yesterday's newspaper, and a half-eaten bagel on a day when the
temperature is over 72 degrees! And then you want to discuss at length
the reflective properties of foil-backed gum wrappers?

If your question were strictly technical, the "disappearing" scenario
would be superfluous since you could just ask about visual and radar
detection of various hull signatures.

Peggie Hall wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

prodigal1

WaIIy wrote:

Any cash withdrawal of $10,000 or more gets reported to the federal
government.

If I recall correctly, a few years ago there was some deal to report
"unusual activity" of anyone's account to the feds.

ahh...the land of the free!

Paul Schilter

Doug,
Aren't most cockpits self bailing? So in order to flood the cockpit
wouldn't you have to flood the engine room? Which would amount to
sinking the boat. I speaking of a power boat.
Paul

Osama Found Hanged JGK Cruising 0 July 24th 04 03:46 AM
Siphons, anti-siphons & wet exhausts JAXAshby ASA 57 June 19th 04 08:25 PM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM