Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Roger Long

Default NY Barge Canal questions

My planned transit of the Erie Canal by 32 foot sailboat this summer
is looking more difficult since the cruising guide arrived yesterday.
My plans require leaving the boat at a couple places, probably
Rochester and Syracuse, for one to two weeks and then returning to
continue the trip. There don't appear to be many places to do this.
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on this?

A while ago, someone said that one of the two yards that take down
masts in Buffalo (where I also have to leave the boat for a while) was
to be avoided. I wouldn't want anyone to bad mouth a business but, can
anyone recommend which yard to use? There appear to be only two so I'll
draw my own conclusions.

When the mast comes down, will the marina have people with the skills
and materials to build a suitable rack to hold the mast? I'd like to
avoid trying to fly out with hammers, saws, drills, and lumber in my
luggage.

BTW I faxed an order to the canal corp the day before yesterday for
the cruising guide. I only specified and paid for standard delivery
but it arrived FedEx yesterday morning! This is incredible service
from a state agency. I didn't expect it for weeks. I've heard that
they are trying hard to attract boaters to the canal system. Maybe
good service is part of that.

--

Roger Long

Canal Logs Capt.American ASA 1 April 16th 04 03:13 AM
Cross Florida Barge Canal Info wanted Grant Ziebell Cruising 3 October 27th 03 01:02 AM
A few basic questions Matthew Rose UK Power Boats 3 August 11th 03 09:38 AM