Doug Dotson

If your engine has a compression release, it can be started using a bunch
of D-cells.

"Ryk" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:27:05 GMT, Skip wrote:

Or do what a large percentage of owners do - live with the dual-battery
discharge rules you suggest (and the outcomes).
As you know, you'll face lot's of compromise decisions as you finish her
out to your satisfaction (not ours).
You will probably live thru whatever decision you make as we all have up
to this point.

Dual batteries are working fine for me on an Atomic 4 gas engine, and
the system is simple, if not idiot proof. As insurance for those times
I may be an idiot, I carry a "booster pack" which is a sealed battery
complete with jumper cable style clamps and all the appropriate
switching, available at automotive suppliers for around US$50. Light,
cheap, simple and I can use it to boost my car in the winter.

Ryk

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

Is there any reason to consider using dual purpose or a one starting, one
deep cycle set up with a 20 hp Yanmar diesel? I would think the starting
loads on the small engine are low enough that two deep cycle batteries would
do fine.

Just about everything I've seen in the thread is correct, but I have a
couple of odd thoughts for you to consider.

We currently have 2 group 31s, about 230 total AH. Our 2GM20F will start
off a half-discharged group 27, so starting isn't a serious issue. Major
consumption is lights -- many, many lights -- as we're addicted to
reading and night sailing.

Our main problem has been that we motor too little. Usually, we've been
lucky to have even 50% charge.

----

Our last charter, the starting battery connected directly to the
alternator. The house battery was tied in via a simple on-off switch: On
to charge, off otherwise. That's not the best way to charge and it's
possible to drain all the batteries, but you can't fry the regulator.
-----

Last spring, we got a 12 watt solar charger which changed our habits
significantly. When we weekend, we're charged to 100% as we start out.

On our annual 3 week cruise around the Chesapeake, that little charger
satisfied our needs completely as long as we motored into a harbor every
few days. One morning, the battery was dead. A few hours of sun later,
we had enough charge to start.

I'll probably combine the two ideas next time I have to replace a
battery. Remaining 31 goes next to the engine, short leads. House bank
gets beefier, panel goes directly to it. Battery switch is almost always
off.

--
Jere Lull
Rico

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

[...]

Ahoy Jere!
Have you moved or am I mistaken? I thought you were in the SanD area. If
you're the same guy, I was seeking information about finding moorage a
couple of years ago around the south bay etc. Never made it to SD though,
but am now in middle Tennessee. Boy the sailing is sure different here!

Rico

Jere Lull

In article ,
"Rico" wrote:

Ahoy Jere!
Have you moved or am I mistaken? I thought you were in the SanD area. If
you're the same guy, I was seeking information about finding moorage a
couple of years ago around the south bay etc. Never made it to SD though,
but am now in middle Tennessee. Boy the sailing is sure different here!

No, have only sailed the Right coast, mostly Chesapeake Bay.

--
Jere Lull

batteries Walt Boat Building 8 December 6th 04 01:54 AM
Interesting batteries Gould 0738 General 51 October 18th 04 11:42 PM
Parallelling AGM starting and Golf Cart Batteries... Larry W4CSC Cruising 10 April 26th 04 07:58 PM
Parallelling AGM starting and Golf Cart Batteries... Larry W4CSC Electronics 5 April 26th 04 07:58 PM
Battery Belgian Electronics 3 January 16th 04 04:20 AM