Scott Vernon

Yes, a deep cycle will start your Yanmar, but you are reducing the
life of the battery by doing so.

There's a reason, other than marketing, why batteries are labeled
'starting' or 'deep cycle' or 'dual purpose'.
I believe the main difference is the thickness of the plates. Starter
batts, are built for short duration, high loads. DC are for less
load over a longer time period. DP are a compromise between the two.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Is there any reason to consider using dual purpose or a one starting,
one deep cycle set up with a 20 hp Yanmar diesel? I would think the
starting loads on the small engine are low enough that two deep cycle
batteries would do fine.

--

Roger Long