Marley

Default Satellite telephone services

Hi Folks,

Can anyone give me a general idea of the cost of satellite phone
services through out the caribbean?

Specifically:

1) Typcial cost of phone (simple handheld phone, nothing fancy)

2) Typical monthly fee, and how many satellite minutes are included.

3) Does the per minute fee vary based on location, or is it a worldwide
per minute charge?

I'd also like to know which satellite services folks find better serves
their needs.

My general intent is to use the phone for emergency communications if
need be, and also to allow occasional calls to home (Canada) to my
broker, family, friends etc. Truth be told, it's mostly the brokers I
need to stay in touch with, as trading is a time sensitive issue at times.

Thanks

John Helgerson

I don't know about satellite phone, but I live in the Caribbean.

Consider purchasing an unlocked tri-mode GSM phone in the States. Then buy
cards or sign up for a post paid service in the Caribbean. Most of the
Caribbean companies have roaming in the Caribbean. Caribbean companies
include AT&T, Digicelll and Cable & Wireless. They can all be found on the
WEB. Many cruisers do this since they tell me it is a lot cheaper than
satellite phones.

John
.. .

paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 15th 04 11:17 PM
Satellite Radio Coverage W. Coast of Mexico Stan Strebig Cruising 0 February 15th 04 02:47 AM
Successful launch of GPS satellite Harry Krause General 2 December 22nd 03 04:55 AM
FS: Iridium Satellite Phone in London, UK Stephen Denham Marketplace 0 October 14th 03 06:27 PM