Don

Broadband Xpress has their "Networked Boat" package that seems like just
what you're looking for. Pricey, though, and I'd bet you can find the
components elsewhere for less money.

I've found BBX to provide very good service, but not until I replaced my
standard wifi PCMCIA card with a high-power card such as the one sold by BBX
for $109. I was able to buy that exact same card (made by SMC) for $55 from
nextwarehouse.com. Made a huge difference - testing with my standard
Netgear card at 30% signal, up to 100% with the SMC card. Adding the 6dbi
indoor antenna is often not needed, but it does help in extreme cases. I
have been reaching it out the cabin hatch and just setting it on the
coachroof.

Don

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
Johnhh wrote:

I currently use a high power PCMCIA card with a 6dbi omni indoor
antennae. This works well for 1/4 to 1/2 mile if I put the antenna on
the cabin roof, but this is very impractical, especially if it is
raining. What I would like to do is mount a permanent exterior
antennae and run it through a network bridge to my own onboard
wireless network. Can anyone recommend a good high power bridge and
antennae?

This is exactly what I'd like to do. I'd like to find an omni antenna w/
bridge
to mount on the mast or someplace. If the bridge puts out a healthy
signal,
there would be no need to run wires except for power. For that matter, a
few
solar cells and a battery inside might take care of that issue too, for a
completely self containted unit. I'm quite surprised no one seems to be
targeting boaters with kits like this, especially considering the
"yachtsman's
discount" to be tacked on. (Does it work with no hassle? Write the guy a
check!)

I've been trying to use marina WiFi networks with little success. Most of
them
really stink, with little coverage and weak signals. I'm often wandering
the
docks carrying my laptop, looking for just the right spot to get enough
reception to do anything. The prices companies like Broadband Xpress
charge are
pretty aggressive. Considering the service is useless more often than
not, it
winds up being a bit of a ripoff. However, if I had a good antenna setup
it
might actually be useful. With all this supposed WiFi access around, I'm
still
checking my email through a cell phone. Currently the best strategy is to
find
a nearby coffeehouse, which often have free WiFi.

Matt O.

Johnhh

Actually Don, their "Networked Boat" package is just what I need, but I
just can't justify the $750 price tag on it. I don't have a good enough
grasp of Wi-Fi hardware to know what I can get as a lower cost substitute -
I'm afraid I'd end up spending that much anyway getting things that didn't
work with their system. I just haven't found anything yet that I feel
confident in.

I couldn't even get on line until I got the high power card and 6dbi
interior antenna. Since I have a sailboat, I usually can't get good enough
reception from in the cabin.

John

Johnhh wrote:

[...]

Vic Fraenckel

I'm wondering about the legality of just poking an antenna up and using any
old service that happens to be in the neighborhood. Granted, people are
stupid for not securing their wifi network, but there is no getting around
the fact that to use someone else's broadband connection with out their
permission is theft-of-service. Also, doing so diminishes the "owner's"
bandwidth. You should also know that a diligent "owner" can find out if
there is an unauthorized connection to "his" network by simply querying his
WAP.

Just my 2 cents.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-George Orwell

Glenn Ashmore

What antenna are you using with the SMC card? What kind of connector does
it take to plug into it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Johnhh wrote:

[...]

Don

I'm certainly not suggesting connections to non-public services. While I do
often see "mystery" SSIDs I have not joined the ranks of hunter-gatherers
that jump onto any available wifi link. Marina sites are becoming more
prevalent (as are RV sites, etc) and for my occasional use I will pay $7 for
a 24-hour period. The gripe is when I can't get a reliable connection in an
area that has wifi advertised.

Don

"Vic Fraenckel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Don

I often don't use an external antenna, but the SMC card has a removeable
plastic antenna and micro-coax connectors (MMCX) for an external antenna.
The SMC part numbers and nextwarehouse.com SKU numbers are

SMCANT-OM5 $22.37 ANTENNA EXTERNAL OMNI W/MMCX (nextwarehouse 46227)
SMC2532W-B $54.86 Elite Connect 2.4GHZ 802.11B HIGH POWER WIRELESS
PCMCIA (nextwarehouse 46183)

SMC has other antennas and higher-speed cards also - see www.smc.com

The removeable plastic antenna is a bit fragile - the first day I had this
card my dog got tangled in the laptop power cord and pulled my laptop to the
carpeted floor. No damage except that plastic antenna got mangled and it
pulled one of the connectors out. There was no damage to the card itself -
it's well encased in a metal shell. However, a replacement antenna cost me
$20 from SMC. I know one guy who leaves the PCMCIA card in his computer all
the time and just plugs the antenna in when needed. I worried that this
might cause problems - running the transmitter circuitry into an open
unterminated load - but he has not had any problems in a year of daily use.
I keep my cheap Netgear card in the computer most of the time and only put
the SMC card in when needed. It's hot-swappable.

Don

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
What antenna are you using with the SMC card? What kind of connector does
it take to plug into it?

--
Glenn Ashmore

Don

I'd be interested in knowing what marinas you have difficulty with. I also
have a sailboat and this weekend I was in Bellingham's Squalicum Harbor. My
slip at Gate 6 is in a spot that had very bad reception from BBX, and at
most times of the day I could not make a reliable connection with the
standard wifi card. It was sometimes better (I suspect high tide is better
than low tide). With the high-powered card this weekend I got a rock-solid
100% connection for both uplink and downlink not even using the external
antenna.

I had similar experiences with BBX in Nanaimo at the dock, and at Silva Bay
(Gulf Islands) at anchor. I spent quite a few minutes of cell time on the
help line trying to get connected. At the time I did not have the
high-power card but I'm pretty sure that this would take care of the
situation. I've been using BBX service occasionally for a couple years and
over the past year or so the BBX web site has steadily increased their
insistence that you must have high-power gear to use their service. In my
experience this is often not the case, but sometimes it is very true. I
guess with all the local interference of multiple wifi users, good reception
in populated areas is getting very difficult to achieve.

I agree that this gear can be very expensive, and trial-and-error is not my
favorite way to go. Also, on a sailboat I have wondered about antenna
placement. I would think that the masthead would be the ideal location as
far as reception and protection from lines and sails, but there are a couple
of problems - the 60-foot+ cable run might be too long, and the energy from
keying the VHF at 25 watts with its antenna right next to the wifi antenna
might fry the wifi receiver. Are the frequencies enough different to avoid
this? I thought about putting a wifi antenna at spreader level, maybe 20
feet above the deck, but having the antenna parallel and close to the
grounded mast might reduce its effectiveness. Maybe halfway out on a
spreader, leaving it vulnerable to flapping sails? These problems seem more
troubling than finding the components for the right price. By the way, I
have confirmed that the SMC high-power card that I bought is identical to
the one sold by BBX, even though the brand and labeling is different. The
FCC registration numbers on the card itself match. I'm really not sure who
actually manufactures this card, but there are at least a few different
labels on it.

Don

"Don" wrote in message
Broadband Xpress has their "Networked Boat" package that seems like just
what you're looking for. Pricey, though, and I'd bet you can find the
components elsewhere for less money.

Johnhh

My boat is moored in Anacortes at Cap Sante and this is where I do the vast
majority of my connecting. From where I'm located I am pretty sure my only
problems are getting the antenna high enough and I'm looking for a more
permanent solution than my indoor antenna attached to the wi-fi card. The
cable isn't long enough, I can't use it in the rain and it is only a matter
of time before that micro connector to the card gives out.

I have a radar mast on the stern where I intend to mount the permanent
antenna. The only issue will be keeping it above or below the radar so I
don't fry something.

My understanding is that longer antenna cables can cause serious signal
degradation. Some manufactures make exterior bridges that can be mounted
very close to the antenna and then powered over the Ethernet cable. That
seems worth looking into if you need a long run. I figure I can mount an
interior bridge about 15 feet from my antenna.

John

"Don" wrote in message
Broadband Xpress has their "Networked Boat" package that seems like just
what you're looking for. Pricey, though, and I'd bet you can find the
components elsewhere for less money.

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Don" wrote:

[...]

WiFi works in the ICM Band @ 2.4 Ghz. Your vhf Marine Radio works at
156 Mhz. Thats more than an order of magnitude difference. The WiFi
is Spread Spectrum, where as your Vhf is FM. The two will never see
each other at the RF level. Coax Length will be VERY limiting in the
ICM Band. If you just get the external antenna above the deck, it will
make a considerable difference, over using anything inside the house, and
leaking out the windows. If your really into the BEST that money can
buy, then get a 10db Omni Antenna, and feed it with 1/2" Hardline, and
mount it about 15' off the deck. You really don't have to worry to much
about grounded things like spreaders, mast, or shrouds, as these are
fairly transparent at 2.4 Ghz. You will get about the same shading as
what you get on your Xband Radars from the same things.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @