BoatBanter.com

-   -   Changing boat name (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/26071-changing-boat-name.html)

Roger Long December 10th 04 12:13 PM

Changing boat name

Can anyone tell me what is involved in changing the name of a non-documented
yacht.

Do you just paint the new name on the transom and fill in the proper form
blank next time you register or is there something more involved?

--

Roger Long

Keith December 10th 04 01:46 PM

You have to dename the boat in a ceremony so Poseidon et al won't get
confused or ****ed off at you. Besides, it makes for a great party! See:
http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

As far as the tax authorities, just do whatever your state requires. In TX
they couldn't care less about your boat name. Federally documented boats are
another story.

--

Keith
__

Doug Dotson December 10th 04 09:30 PM

If it is non-documented then you can do anything you want. Next time
you register just state the new name. It is informative only (at least in
Maryland).

Doug
s/v Callista

Doug Dotson December 10th 04 09:35 PM

"Keith" wrote in message
You have to dename the boat in a ceremony so Poseidon et al won't get
confused or ****ed off at you. Besides, it makes for a great party! See:
http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html
http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

A load of superstitous bunk, but is is a great party! Except for the problem
of cleaning all the red wine stains off the foredeck :)

As far as the tax authorities, just do whatever your state requires. In TX
they couldn't care less about your boat name. Federally documented boats
are another story.

I believe he said un-documented.

--

Keith