Ryk

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:41:39 GMT, Skip VerDuin
wrote:

I did
the Oswego and Erie in the mid '90s with a 4-crew nicely on a 44 ketch.
Make SURE you lash the mast well, it's like the inter coastal getting
past big-fast-boat-wakes. I'd be interested to hear how much water
there is in the canal after you make the trip - I may do the same late
next year in CIRCE and I need 6-1/2ft(-).

HMS Bounty (LOA 169 feet, Draft 13 feet) transited from Oswego to NYC
in mid November of this year. I think I would have heard if they'd had
any grounding problems -- my son is on board.

Ryk

Skip VerDuin

Ryk wrote:

HMS Bounty (LOA 169 feet, Draft 13 feet) transited from Oswego to NYC
in mid November of this year. I think I would have heard if they'd had
any grounding problems -- my son is on board.

Ryk

Ryk,

MUCH better than I remember... THANKS!

Skip
rhys

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:40:17 -0500, Ryk
wrote:

HMS Bounty (LOA 169 feet, Draft 13 feet) transited from Oswego to NYC
in mid November of this year. I think I would have heard if they'd had
any grounding problems -- my son is on board.

Wow, I'm surprised that portion of the operation is that deep. I guess
there was still the idea that naval vessels might be needed there when
the locks were built. Cool.

R.
PaulPgh777

I sail a Precison 23 (Displacement of only 2500#) based out of Erie PA. Over
the last two years I have covered all of Lake Erie visiting most major ports
and have done a few crossings. The weather and waves can pick up fast and I
have a healthy respect for the conditions. My advice, know what your boat and
crew can handle. Listen to weather reports while in route and watch it
yourself. My experience has been that I can get to a safe port before the
weather beats us up. You definitely can't be in a rush and can't follow a
schedule too closely. Lake Erie is not like being in the middle of the
Atlantic, safe harbors are hours away not days away.

Some Lake Erie Boaters jeff® General 2 August 18th 04 03:58 AM
Lake Erie Nasty Tonight Gary General 14 November 20th 03 01:46 AM
Bad News for Lake Erie: From the Toledo Blade RGrew176 General 4 September 27th 03 03:10 PM
The 4th and boating.Lake Oroville. basskisser General 9 July 14th 03 06:24 PM