Joe Blow

Default New computer project

Hi there,

I will be spending some time while my boat is cold and shrink-wrapped to
plan,
test and install a new computer system for navigation and entertainment
purpose.
The system will also replace TVs and audio system to provide some additional
space in the boat. The boat is a 45' Searay express bridge.
My actual marine electronic is Raymarine and includes all the usual toys,
C-Map Chartplotter, GPS, Autopilot ...

I plan to use off the shelf parts but as rugged as possible.

I listed below some of the requirements as well as possible choices. As I
am only starting
this so I welcome your suggestions for additional desirable features and
experiences since
some of you may have similar projects. I will post a resume of these
suggestions as well as
a detailed diagram and cost list of the retained solution when all done.

Bridge:

High Brightness Screen 12" or 15" (preferably with touch screen)
- Raymarine M1500 (worth the price?)
- Planar systems ? http://www.planar.com/
- Gnet ? http://www.gnetcanada.com
- OR use Panasonic MDWD display on bridge for chart display
Wireless Keyboard (Backlighted?) and mouse http://www.gyration.com/
Audio connexion to Marine AM/FM radio for MP3 playing
and DVD playing from onboard PC on bridge (have to replace in dash unit
since it has no external input).

Salon:

Small form factor or media center type PC running windows XP professional
Many possible choices there, any comments on reliability, how about Car PCs
?
Need serials port for GPS connection...
200GB + disk drive (must be then 3.5" type drive)
TV card
Creative USB soudblaster sound card?
CD/DVD reader
Nobeltec Visual series (I currently own 6.0 version)
Connection into Salon Stereo system(also needs to be replaced,
old Bose is dead, or should I strictly go with PC amplified speakers,
maybe klipsh promedia or else?)
20" or larger LCD display that will be used both for computer and DVD/TV
watching.
Small speaker system to replace current Bose Accoustimass (very unreliable
and
impossible to repair at a decent price...available soon on E-Bay :-)

Cabins (3)

Speakers with own volume control (suggestions for speaker switching ?)

Wireless accessories:

Panasonic toughBook MDWD, ViewSonic AirPanel smart display, or maybe pocket
PC
as intelligent remote control unit.
Wireless network. Should be able to connect to external wireless network
and used inside boat. I will use my laptop to transfer files to boat system
and as a backup.

please reply to groups only,

Thanks

computer or not? Parallax Cruising 18 December 6th 04 10:37 AM
DESIGNING PORTAL CREATION DATABASE SHOPPING CART ANIMAT Ad-Aero General 0 May 19th 04 02:10 AM
Press Release: 3.2Ghz P4 Computer That Fits in the Palm of Your Hand Stealth Computer Electronics 8 March 29th 04 06:05 AM
project planning example William R. Watt Boat Building 8 January 22nd 04 12:10 AM
Computer Install on 24' Power Boat Jim Pook Electronics 4 October 28th 03 05:08 AM