Tamaroak

Default Antifreeze in oil

I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff
Terry Spragg

Tamaroak wrote:
I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff

Do a compression test / cooling system leak down test. You have
probably a tiny headache in your gasket. Good luck. The pressure cap
on your radiator(?) has been leaking exhaust. Or, you have a crack.
X-ray, epoxy weld. Relieve end of crack with a 1/64" drill

Don't bother planing the head unless the machine shop can show you a
warp.

each guage is 20 bucks. It will save you paying a safari chasing a
golden goose. Only a girly man would do otherwise.

Go, Arnold! (I really don't know anything about his "views.")

Terry K

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Tamaroak wrote:

I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff

I would discount 4 & 5, as a frost plug doesn't lead to the Base oil pan,
and water pumps aren't Base oil lubricated, so it also doesn't lead to
the oil pan. I would first look at Head Gasket, then look at cracked
head and finally cracked block. Cracked block would not happen in the
middle of the season, unless you had a Coolant FREEZE during that time
period, Cracked head, maybe, but still very unlikely for the same
reasons, except could happen if you overheated the engine recently.
Bad Head Gasket can happen anytime, and is also not to hard to deal
with, except it will require a topend disassembly, which is also
what is required for a cracked head. Cracked block will require
a complete engine removal.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
BSCHNAUTZ

Bruce makes a good point. one other thing is that you could have a cracked
head...but not causing any noticable performance difference.

it IS possible for a head to have a ever so minute crack in a water chamber
that would cause coolent to leak (under pressure) down an oil return hole, or
pushrod hole.

One thing you could do is pull the spark plugs and examine them. if coolant IS
getting into sa cylinder, then a spark plug check can tell many tales, and show
you a cylinder you are having trouble with.

Tim

I would first look at Head Gasket, then look at cracked
head and finally cracked block. Cracked block would not happen in the
middle of the season, unless you had a Coolant FREEZE during that time
period, Cracked head, maybe, but still very unlikely for the same
reasons, except could happen if you overheated the engine recently.
Bad Head Gasket can happen anytime, and is also not to hard to deal
with, except it will require a topend disassembly, which is also
what is required for a cracked head.

Rich Hampel

Most common reason is a blown head gasket, then a rare cracked block or
cracked head.
Easy to verify without disassembling engine: go to auto parts / speed
shop. Get some carbon monoxide test tablets and put into radiator, run
engine for several hours, shine 'black' (UV) light into radiator and
look for fluorescence caused by the indicator chemical (tablets above)
when it binds with the CO.

If you run hard and 'shut down fast' without letting the engine self
cool by idling back to normal temps .... then expect a blown head
gasket. Of course you probably dont retorque the head bolts yearly
like you should if you are running a lot of WOT.

In article , BSCHNAUTZ
wrote:

[...]

Rich Schultz

Captain? Jeff,

Numbers 1 through 3 are possible, I do not believe 4 & 5 could possibly have
anything to do with coolant in the oil. Without more info I would suspect
first the blown head gasket. It would not take much oil in the coolant to
be significant in an analysis.

I would be curious as to where the oil is around a frost/freeze plug that it
could get into the oil.

Capt. Rich
"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff

JIMinFL

Some more suspects.
1 Block off plate between riser and manifold
2 Exhaust manifold
3 Intake manifold or gasket
JIMinFL

"Tamaroak" wrote in message
I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

John

Tamaroak wrote in message ...
I recently had an oil analysis done after changing my oil before winter.
They found a significant amount of antifreeze backed up by my having to
add some during the last part of the season. It's a 1987 5.7L GMC with
closed cooling and 770 hours. It uses no oil and runs great.

I'm trying to determine the possible causes. I've heard:
1. Cracked block
2. Cracked head
3. Bad head gasket
4. Bad frost plug
5. Bad coolant pump (supposedly located on pop of the engine by the
manifold)

Any other ideas?

Capt. jeff

Jeff, you forgot the intake manifold. A bad gasket or a crack can
cause coolant to leak into the engine.

John

frozen antifreeze (OT) Parallax General 0 November 16th 04 06:10 PM
Antifreeze leak and boat leak Ree-Yees General 8 July 27th 04 12:18 AM
heating up antifreeze Richard Malcolm General 5 October 25th 03 03:06 AM
Diluting RV Antifreeze Eric G. General 3 October 18th 03 03:09 PM
Winterize - Antifreeze werlax General 9 October 13th 03 06:32 PM