BoatBanter.com

-   -   Problems with ethanol in fuel (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/23016-problems-ethanol-fuel.html)

Larry Weiss September 21st 04 06:36 PM

Problems with ethanol in fuel

Both of my power boats have developed severe engine hesitation
problems. They run okay at idle but sputter and stall when revved. My
mechanics have complained that they are seeing this problem left and
right - and are blaming it on the gasoline, which around here (Long
Island, NY) now contains 10% ethanol. I know ethanol is not good for
rubberized fuel lines, but did not know it caused running problems
(unless the fuel lines are deteriorating and clogging). The gas in each
boat was purchased at a different fuel dock.

If my mechanics are correct, this is a serious regional (national?)
problem. Anyone else experiencing difficulty? Any comments or
suggestions? How can we get gasoline without ethanol in it? How is the
marine industry addressing this?

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"
"a little after..."

Matt Lang September 22nd 04 12:14 AM

Larry Weiss wrote in message ...
Both of my power boats have developed severe engine hesitation
problems. They run okay at idle but sputter and stall when revved. My
mechanics have complained that they are seeing this problem left and
right - and are blaming it on the gasoline, which around here (Long
Island, NY) now contains 10% ethanol. I know ethanol is not good for
rubberized fuel lines, but did not know it caused running problems
(unless the fuel lines are deteriorating and clogging). The gas in each
boat was purchased at a different fuel dock.

If my mechanics are correct, this is a serious regional (national?)
problem. Anyone else experiencing difficulty? Any comments or
suggestions? How can we get gasoline without ethanol in it? How is the
marine industry addressing this?

I have experienced some cars also not runnig with ethanol blend ... I
dont know the technical reason, but may speculate its different
properties dont lead to proper air mix.

Aside from that you should never use ethanol fuel in 2 strokes.

Matt

Bowgus September 22nd 04 12:31 AM

Ethanol, or alcohol, mixes with any water. It's used up here by some in the
winter (auto engines) to pick up any condensation and so on to prevent gas
line freeze. So, if the alcohol in the mix becomes saturated (with water), a
drop in temperature will cause that water to be dumped, leaving the water in
the fuel system ... especially not good in injected engines. If that's
what's happening, maybe a water separator mounted close to the engine might
be an idea? The dumping of water by saturated ethanol fuel caused by a drop
in temperature is a fact ... but a 10% mix ... ???

John Wentworth September 22nd 04 01:15 AM

Larry Weiss wrote:

Both of my power boats have developed severe engine hesitation
problems. They run okay at idle but sputter and stall when revved. My
mechanics have complained that they are seeing this problem left and
right - and are blaming it on the gasoline, which around here (Long
Island, NY) now contains 10% ethanol. I know ethanol is not good for
rubberized fuel lines, but did not know it caused running problems
(unless the fuel lines are deteriorating and clogging). The gas in each
boat was purchased at a different fuel dock.

If my mechanics are correct, this is a serious regional (national?)
problem. Anyone else experiencing difficulty? Any comments or
suggestions? How can we get gasoline without ethanol in it? How is the
marine industry addressing this?

Larry Weiss
"...Ever After!"
"a little after..."

Here's a good compilation of current manufacturer's recommendations.
Mercury seems especially against ethanol fuel.
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/2003marine.pdf

JamesgangNC September 22nd 04 02:30 AM

It attracts water and when it reaches saturation the water dumps out. Not
so good in a boat as i's hard to avoid water. If you can remove the sending
unit from your fuel tank and see if it has water in the bottom. Get it out
if it does. Drain all your fuel filters regularly. Keep the water out and
you'll have less trouble. But it's hard to do.

Woodchuck September 22nd 04 03:04 AM

Over here in Western Pennsylvania I use Sunoco 93 octane and haven't had any
problems. I used the same fuel since 99 in my Mercury OB. 10%, don't think
so as the max is no more than 5% from Sunoco.

JAXAshby September 22nd 04 03:20 AM

Aside from that you should never use ethanol fuel in 2 strokes.

we used to mix ethanol into the gas in our outboards when I was kid to increase
hp (local law limited hp to kids under 12 to 10) and it made our boats go
faster. why can't you use ethanol in 2 strokes?

Bowgus September 22nd 04 04:00 AM

Immiscible liquids are liquids that do not dissolve in one another. Some
combinations of liquids mix in all proportions, e.g. alcohol and water, mix
at some compositions but not at others, or hardly mix at all, e.g. gasoline
and water.

Bowgus September 22nd 04 04:03 AM

Scotch and water ...

.cable.rogers.com...

Rich Hampel September 22nd 04 05:20 AM

You can use straight ethanol if you want ..... but you have to change
the jets in a carb or change the 'open' interval in a TBI or Injection
system. Ethanol burns hotter and more completely but requires a much
richer (fuel/air ratio) mixture. For simple injection systems all that
needed is to increase the fuel 'rail' pressure a bit to affect MORE
fuel pressure to the injector(s). For a carburated engine the old
'rule of thumb' when rejetting was to double the orfice diameter when
running on straight ETOH .... thats 180 proof, hic, ..... *;‹s
Depending on the coloric value of the fuel, 90% ETOH required 4 times
the volumetric flow in comparison to 100 Octane gasoline.

For the original poster who was complaing of hesitation, etc. with ETOH
10% ... you need to change the injector 'open' interval value or
consider changing jets to affect a richer mixture.

Rich Hampel September 22nd 04 05:26 AM

Nope 10% ethanol mixed with gasoline will result in the water component
forming into an emulsified form which doesnt separate readily.

Actually the additional water content helps increase the "octane"
number, and also helps to clean the piston ring grooves, blows the
carbon out of the combustion chamber, etc.
Some engines (back in 'muscle car days') used water injection to boost
power output while helping to cool the combustion chambers.

article gers.com,

Rich Hampel September 22nd 04 05:28 AM

Sorry, Jax is totally correct. You are wrong.
Ethanol and water forms an azeotrope .... no 'free' water, just water
in an emulsified form .... beneficial to engine performance.

In article
le.rogers.com,
Bowgus wrote:

Wrong.

Rolf September 22nd 04 07:33 AM

"Woodchuck" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ok here some fact about alcohol addition to fuel:
For a long time people have sometimes added a bit of alcohol to the
gasoline in areas where water might get into the gas tank. The water
does not mix with the gasoline and in cold climates can freeze in the
gas line and in warmer climates prevent the engine from starting.
Water is not a good fuel. Addition of the alcohol will cause formation
of a ternarty mixture with the water and the gasoline and avoid the
water from separating out.

More recnetly in some states like california the EPA in order to
reduce engine pollution the government has mandated the use of
Oxygenated fuels. This is gasoline that has up to 10% alcohol added to
make the gasoline burn cleaner. The 10% number comes from an agreement
of automobile engine manufacturers who have agreed that up to 10 % the
engine is not harmed and no special adjustment is required.
With more than 10% alcohol the power of the engine is reduced and
parts may suffer. In Brazil some cars use pure alcohol, these are
special engines and people don't like them because they have no power
( I used to live there and had a car with an alcohol engine)

For these reasons I don't think that poor running of an engine with a
gasoline/10% alcohol is the problem. Water tends to cause starting
problems but once the engine is running at high speed the water tends
to disperse ( not dissolve ) and go through the engine with the
gasoline.

There may be several reasons for the stalling problem. Most likely the
engines are starved of fuel when revved. Since it occurs on both
engines it may be a simple as some blockage in the fuel line that
allows some fuel to get through, enough for idle, but not enough for a
high rev. S I would look for the problem in the fuel filters, fuel
line, fuel pump etc

JAXAshby September 22nd 04 12:40 PM

Immiscible liquids are liquids that do not dissolve in one another.

so? green traffic lights mean "go", but so what?

Some
combinations of liquids mix in all proportions, e.g. alcohol and water, mix
at some compositions but not at others, or hardly mix at all,

you might wish to check your "facts" with a chemist next time before you open
your mouth.

e.g. gasoline
and water.

Ken September 22nd 04 01:02 PM

One thing with ethanol is that the stuff contains oxygen atoms along with
the hydrogen and carbon atoms, where as straight gasoline is hydrogen and
carbon only. The oxygen tends to lean the mixture entering the engine. No
matter what carb setting you apply after that, the air/fuel ratio never gets
back to what it was. A lean mixture will burn hotter and more readily
creates detonation and preignition (4 cylinders inboards tend to have
dieseling problems with the stuff). It can also cause stalling problems.
With cars the oxygenated fuels tends to work ok as the computers and sensors
keep a good control. With marine engines its a problem.

Vito September 22nd 04 06:33 PM

"Larry Weiss" wrote in message
Both of my power boats have developed severe engine hesitation....
.... blaming it on the gasoline, which around here (Long
Island, NY) now contains 10% ethanol.

Problems we had in motorcycles involved water. Seems that while gas and
ethonol mix fine and ethanol and water mix that ethanol saturated with water
doesn't mix with gas nor burn well.

Matt Colie September 22nd 04 10:06 PM

Larry,

As so often happens in these groups, there is a good deal of less than
complete data. After several decades of working in the test labs of
Detroit let me fill in some of the problems.

Old issue:
Alcohol is a solvent for the "Permatex" that used to seal two-stroke
crankcases. This would allow charge mixture to leak out, air to leak in
during the cycle and the engine would go lean and self distruct. There
was also an issue raised with the alcohol interfering with the lubricity
of the ashless oil causing a breakdown under load. I never saw this
verfied and was told by a lubricant supplier that it was simply false.
This would make sense becuase the engine damage that I surveyed was all
piston damage most likely the result of lean mixture.

Fix - Use an alcohol resistant silcone base RTV sealant during assembly.

Known issue:
All elastomers have some absortion rate of almost all liquids. It is
additive. So, if Hexane make a 4% swell, and butane makes a 2% swell
then expect winter pump gasoline to cause 6% swell. Alcohol swell is
typically 3-4%, so it added to the fuel you should now expect a 10%
swell. That will FU (make less than optimal) a rubber tipped needle and
seat of an old carburetor float valve system in fine style.

Fix - Go find a Grose Jet to replace the rubber tipped needle and seat.
These were made for out labe by a shop in RI (Providence - I think). If
the neat guy that runs the shop is still there, he has data for most
things and can make what you have data for. - Not cheap - Very Good

Little known issue:
But, touched on by one poster. The F/A will be differnet for an -OH
(the family of alcohols) blend fuel than it is with pump grade non-OH
blended fuel. This can and often did cause drivability and performance
issues. Modern cars correct for this on the fly (not goingthere now).

Fix - Older engines can not do this automaticly, but can be corrected
for the 12-20$us that a box of carburetor jets will cost (you can stiil
buy at speed shops). Upsize the main jet(s) in the carburetor until
the engine runs as it should.

Unfortunately, this was much easier to do in a engine dynamometer test
room that I might be in a boat, but I have done it and it takes some
patience and persistance.

Good Luck
Matt Colie

Bowgus September 22nd 04 11:09 PM

Geez ... the only opening of the mouth I've done so far is to sip my scotch
(alcohol) and water (water) solution. JAXAssby, you seem to have a real
problem with alcohol, whereas, everything I've said so far is 180 proof :-)
Adios buddy, it's been entertaining :-)

Bowgus September 22nd 04 11:18 PM

And when the temperature drops ... although I suppose some of you guys don't
live where that happens ... the alcohol can get dumped. Refer to the
excellent link posted by John Wentworth to "2003 Marine Manufacturere Fuel
Recommendations" at http://www.ethanolrfa.org/2003marine.pdf

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Sorry, Jax is totally correct. You are wrong.
Ethanol and water forms an azeotrope .... no 'free' water, just water
in an emulsified form .... beneficial to engine performance.

In article
le.rogers.com,
Bowgus wrote:

Wrong.

Bowgus September 22nd 04 11:20 PM

Oops ... must be the scotch ... the water gets dumped ... how true :-)

"Bowgus" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
And when the temperature drops ... although I suppose some of you guys

don't
live where that happens ... the alcohol can get dumped. Refer to the
excellent link posted by John Wentworth to "2003 Marine Manufacturere Fuel
Recommendations" at http://www.ethanolrfa.org/2003marine.pdf

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Sorry, Jax is totally correct. You are wrong.
Ethanol and water forms an azeotrope .... no 'free' water, just water
in an emulsified form .... beneficial to engine performance.

In article
le.rogers.com,
Bowgus wrote:

Wrong.

JAXAshby September 23rd 04 02:32 AM

whatever are you talking about, blow gut. I lived a LOT of years where
wintertime temps were well below zero actual (the lowest I ever saw was -48
actual, not "windchill"), and alcohol was -- at the time -- a standard
ingredient added at gas tank fill time. in fact, one very large petro company
advertised they added alcohol at the refinery.

"Bowgus"

Matt Colie September 23rd 04 11:25 PM

Matt,

Believe it.

Of that stuff you call gasoline (those things that come of the the
distillation between 100 and 200 degF) there is no chemical formulae.

It is all organic hydrocarbon and the best they can due is provide a
hydrogen/cardon ratio. And that is Gasoline...

What gets added after that is anybody's bet. It isn't Tetraethyllead
Pb(C2H5)4 anymore, but it can be any portion of a chemical alphabet
soup (like MTBE, TAME and ETBE) with out even getting to the oxygenates.

Most what was added in teh pst improved the octane rating. now what is
added is largely to improve the combustion efficiency.

Matt Colie (Engine Lab Rat -ret)

Date: 9/22/2004 6:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time

And when the temperature drops ... although I suppose some of you guys don't
live where that happens ... the alcohol can get dumped. Refer to the
excellent link posted by John Wentworth to "2003 Marine Manufacturere Fuel
Recommendations" at
http://www.ethanolrfa.org/2003marine.pdf

That stuff we were always using up in Minnesota. It came in a 10 oz or
so can, it was called "Heet". The gasline between the tank and the
engine was where the water would collect and freeze. You'd dump in a
can or two of Heet, go away for awhile, then come back and start the
engine.------You know, when I think about it, that doesn't make
sense.The correct way was to dump it in when you filled your tank, but
that implies having a plan, which usually wasn't the case 40 years
ago. Does anybody know if that stuff works after the fact, that is,
will it thaw a frozen line? I'm thinking yes. I remember 40's,
possibly 50 degrees below actual, not windchill. My first car, a '56
Rambler Super Cross Country, had clear vynil plastic covering the
seats. When I sat down on it, it was so cold it didn't just crack, the
whole front seat cover shattered like glass.

surfnturf September 24th 04 03:07 AM

Hi Matt,

Sorry, but I agree with Matt. Lotsa oxygen, but an organic chemist could
help us about the locations that they are stuck on. Suspect that is what
people are talking about with oxygenated fuels.

surfnturf

JAXAshby September 24th 04 04:17 AM

I am talking about Minnesota and upper Wisconsin. I, too, saw many times a
can or two of Heet thaw out a frozen gas line.

"My advice, sir, don't forget your De-Icer" was long an advertising slogan for
Standard Oil. Eventually, all petro companies added alcohol to wintertime gas.

Ever hear of Eureka or Durrand or Lykens or Frederic or Wayzata or Plymouth or
Dinkytown?

Steven Shelikoff September 24th 04 04:30 AM

On 23 Sep 2004 12:12:48 -0700, (Matt Lang) wrote:

I find it highly unlikely that there are no Oxygen (O) atoms in gas....

There are, but tiny amounts. Gasoline is mostly hydrocarbon molecules,
which like the name implies, is only hydrogen and carbon atoms. There
are many of different types of hydrocarbon molecules in typical
gasoline. However, there are also trace amounts of other compounds in
there, some of which contain oxygen atoms as well as sulphur, nitrogen,
some metals ...

Steve

JAXAshby September 24th 04 04:35 AM

"My advice, sir, don't forget your De-Icer"

actually, "My advice, sir, get De-Icer."

Ken September 24th 04 01:51 PM

With the stuff you get from the gas pump, ya, there is oxygen in the
formula. It is being put there by design for pollution purposes (EPA
mandates) and for economic reasons (sometimes its cheaper to blend straight
gas with something). At a chemical level, gasoline does not contain oxygen.
The key word is formula.

If only the powers that be would quit changing the formula. Carbs are
limited range animals that can't fully handle all that difference. Engines
demand a specific ratio of hydrocarbons to oxygen to produce optimum burn
(or a richer mixture for optimum power). With a constantly changing formula,
it becomes harder or impossible to adjust a carb to produce that optimum.

For more info on gas see
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gasoline1.htm
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem99658.htm
http://www.smokemup.com/tech/fuels.php

om...

Jim Richardson September 24th 04 09:01 PM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:28:58 GMT,
Rich Hampel wrote:
Sorry, Jax is totally correct. You are wrong.
Ethanol and water forms an azeotrope .... no 'free' water, just water
in an emulsified form .... beneficial to engine performance.

So does this mean that a 55 gal drum of water, will form an emulsion
when you add 1 drop of Ethanol to it? this doesn't make sense.

Surely there's some point at which adding more water to the ethanol will
leave a non-emulsified amount of water?

In article
ble.rogers.com,
Bowgus wrote:

Wrong.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
alcohol and water are 100% missible (sp?) with each other, meaning
there is no such thing as a water saturated alcohol solution.

Proud Member of THRUSH:
the Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables
and the Subjugation of Humanity

Sam September 24th 04 09:48 PM

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
[...]

I was pretty sure Heet thawed out frozen lines but it seems it must
all sink to do that and then that's all the engine would burn until it
was gone.Oh well, it worked,that's what counted.Another bit of
excitement was sliding a pan of burning fuel oil under the motor to
warm it up enough to start or thawing the houses water pipes with a
bic lighter and a can of the wifes hair spray.I grew up in
Rochester,but my ex's sister lived in Wayzata so we were there
occasionally.My grandma lived on Lake Calhoun, I spent a lot of time
there when I was young.Lived in Wis. for 13 years,some of it in
Nelson, where the Chippewa runs into the Mississippi,about 20 miles up
the Chippewa there was a town named Durand.Is that it?

surfnturf September 25th 04 02:42 AM

Uhhh, kinda embarrassed. Too long since high school, should have done my
research before spouting off... I'll back the other Matt now. Cs&Hs, no Os
until you get into the additives etc.

Been fooling around with wood chemistry too much.

surfnturf

snip the embarassment

DDeanFountain September 25th 04 04:14 AM

WRONG! No matter how much alcohol you add to gasoline, once it is mixed, any
water in the alcohol will separate almost immediately. Water does nothing to
increase the octane of any fossil fuel. When water injection was used on
automobiles it was used to slow the burn time of cheap low octane gasoline. By
adding water you could keep your timing advanced to specs without the clatter
of a pinging engine from detonation on high compression engines. One primary
reason alcohol is added to fuel is its ability to retain more oxygen so when
added to gasoline you actually end up with a more efficent burn. Its an EPA
thing. Alcohol actually has a lower octane rating but because of its added
oxygenation properties, its benficial when added to gasoline.

JAXAshby September 25th 04 12:56 PM

WRONG! No matter how much alcohol you add to gasoline, once it is mixed, any
water in the alcohol will separate almost immediately

where did you learn this? please be specific, as millions of drivers with
experience in cold winter states disagree with you.

Brian Whatcott September 25th 04 05:53 PM

wrote:

Sorry, Jax is totally correct. You are wrong.
Ethanol and water forms an azeotrope .... no 'free' water, just water
in an emulsified form .... beneficial to engine performance.

The first line should warn you that a mistake is in the offing.

Here are some definitions:
"azeotrope" a mixture of liquids with a constant boiling temperature
- because the vapor has the same composition as the liquid.

Contrast this with a mix of grain acohol (aka ethanol) and water:
when heated, the ethanol evolves preferentially: this process is
called "distillation"

An "emulsion" is a preparation of two immiscible liquids: though they
will not mutually dissolve, finely divided particles of one phase
remain stable in the other component, often with a milky appearance:
mayonnaise is a classic example.

The problem in the lines quoted is the confusion between water/oil or
water/gasoline mixes which CAN emulsify - and water/alcohol mixes
which DO NOT emulsify.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK