BoatBanter.com

-   -   Ratheon 72CRC Radar/Chartplotter alarm volume (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/22478-ratheon-72crc-radar-chartplotter-alarm-volume.html)

Bc8181 September 8th 04 02:32 AM

Ratheon 72CRC Radar/Chartplotter alarm volume

Hello folks,

Tried to set up the alarms on a friend's Nonsuch 30 (he had never used them)
and discovered we couldn't hear them due to high freq. hearing loss and unit
being incased in a Navpod. Any way to hook up a louder alarm for the cabin?

Thanks,
Bob

Bc8181 September 8th 04 08:17 PM

Subject: Ratheon 72CRC Radar/Chartplotter alarm volume
From: "Doug Dotson" AMcom
Date: 9/7/2004 7:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time

"Bc8181" wrote in message
Hello folks,

Tried to set up the alarms on a friend's Nonsuch 30 (he had never used
them)
and discovered we couldn't hear them due to high freq. hearing loss and
unit
being incased in a Navpod. Any way to hook up a louder alarm for the
cabin?

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks Doug for your response. Nope, the rather exhaustive manual for the unit
has zilch about an external alarm. The person who installed the unit
originally said it was not possible. I have since talked to Raymarine tech
support and they suggested a $160 Seatalk converter box that I could then wire
to a piezo horn. Guess this is the way to go since a radar alarm's not much
good if you can't hear it down below.

Bob

rhys September 8th 04 09:06 PM

On 08 Sep 2004 19:17:45 GMT, (Bc8181) wrote:

Bob

Thanks Doug for your response. Nope, the rather exhaustive manual for the unit
has zilch about an external alarm. The person who installed the unit
originally said it was not possible. I have since talked to Raymarine tech
support and they suggested a $160 Seatalk converter box that I could then wire
to a piezo horn. Guess this is the way to go since a radar alarm's not much
good if you can't hear it down below.

OK, I may be oversimplifying this, but I have three and a half
suggestions. One is to wire the leads from the radar alarm to a small
amplifier circuit, and then to a speaker near your friend's berth or
wherever.

Two is set up a circuit to trigger a light (mini strobe?) in the
cabin. Power goes to the alarm speaker and BLINK BLINK in the V-berth
until the alarm is shut off.

Three is to wire a small condenser mic (you could use a garage sale
Walkman, even) beside the alarm and run to a little amp (the cabin
stereo, maybe, or the VHF speaker).

A final option is to see if the frequency of the alarm can be adjusted
somehow to a range your man can hear.

R.