BoatBanter.com

-   -   What are the pros and cons of a folding prop? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/22060-what-pros-cons-folding-prop.html)

MLapla4120 August 28th 04 01:50 AM

What are the pros and cons of a folding prop?

I'm going to re-power soon and am also going to get new shaft and prop.
It seems that in my boat class (Westsail 32), some people are going
to folding props to help speed under sail.
I'm for increased speed, but also want reliability. My current bronze
propeller is pitted and old. Every time I turn around and look at it, it
is full of sea growth. That makes me think I'm getting poor performance.
So, I'm for an improvement, but I am unsure of what kind.
Any opinions from boaters that have encountered this situation would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark , "Belle" Westsail 32

Paul L August 28th 04 02:58 AM

You will definitely will see a decent speed improvement under sail with a
folding prop. Depending on the prop you buy, you should see better
power/control in reverse too. They are very reliable now, so I don't think
that is a down side. The biggest downside is their cost. I have a Max prop
and think it great.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org

JAXAshby August 28th 04 04:37 AM

You will definitely will see a decent speed improvement under sail with a
folding prop

no, you won't. folding props only hve value for racing boats, where 2 seconds
a mile means the difference between 2nd place and 6th.

According to MIT tests, a folding prop means a savings of a mere 170 pounds
drag at 5 knots (or 40 pounds drag at 2-1/2 knots, or 10 pounds drag at 1-1/4
knots) over a --------- three ------------ blade prop. ***Much*** less with
compared to a two-blade, and even less compared to a two-blade rotated verticle
behind the keel.

Wanna guess just how much powered is required to pull 170# at 5 knots?

Paul L August 28th 04 06:02 AM

Its real easy to test, as I can get my folding 3 blade to stay open. I can
see the boat speed, then have it fold and measure the speed. It is
significant. If the MIT tests say otherwise then they are not testing
reality - wanna guess what errors they made in the test or you in the
interpretation??.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org

Ayesha August 28th 04 09:48 AM

Assuming you're talking about a sailboat, then I'm currently taking a
look at www.kiwiprops.co.nz which look neat, and the testimonials
read well. But I've no personal experience. I'd like to hear from
anyone who has

JAXAshby August 28th 04 02:30 PM

Its real easy to test, as I can get my folding 3 blade to stay open. I can
see the boat speed, then have it fold and measure the speed. It is
significant. If the MIT tests say otherwise then they are not testing
reality - wanna guess what errors they made in the test or you in the
interpretation??.

sure, paul lever knows more testing props than MIT. good on ya, paul.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org

Glenn Ashmore August 28th 04 03:17 PM

As usual, Jax has taken some good data and come up with a completely
erroneous conclusion. The drag from the prop increases as the square of
the speed. Using the MIT figures, at 8 knots you are looking at
something over 430 pounds of drag. For a medium displacement boat that
can add up to 15% or more in improved performance. For a 40' LWL
cruiser that means an extra 20 to 25 miles a day.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rosalie B. August 28th 04 04:13 PM

"Paul L" wrote:

[...]

We have a feathering prop (vs a folding prop) and we do get an
increase of about 1/2 knot under sail, and it also backs better under
power. I haven't tried to quantify the backing under power - it is
just what we feel.

Disadvantages are - you lose a bit of power forward because the blades
are flat and the prop takes a bit more maintenance than a fixed prop.

[We were sailing but had the engine on in neutral so the prop was not
feathered - we were running the refrigeration- and when we had
finished that, we turned off the engine and feathered the prop, and
our speed increased 1/2 knot - same wind and current. Now I know this
is not a completely scientific test, but it is significant to us.
There are also people in our group who did tests with a fixed prop
over a measured course, and then did the same tests with a folding
prop over the same course and found a similar result.]

grandma Rosalie

JAXAshby August 28th 04 04:42 PM

glenn, just where is it you found you "facts" that "a medium displacement boat"
has 2,866.66666666 pounds of drag?

btw, "a medium displacement boat" that does 8 knots continuous is rare indeed.

btw-2: that 15% that is so often bandied about comes from a marketing
department at a folding prop company.

btw-3: ------ folding -------- three blade props are rare indeed.

btw-4: the subject of this thread is folding, not feathering (a hugely more
expensive breed of cat)

btw-5, the 170# figures from MIT were for --------- three --------- bladed
props. Two bladed props have much less drag, and two bladed props aligned
behind the keel have even less.

btw-6, when the winds are sufficient to drive ""a medium displacement boat" at
8 knots, you have more than enough wind to drive the boat at 8 knots with a
bucket dragging behind just by putting up anothe 20 square feet of sail.

btw-7: most folding/feathering props are promoted by their marketers as an
improvement in **LITE** airs, not heavy.

Glenn Ashmore August 28th 04 05:48 PM

JAXAshby wrote:
glenn, just where is it you found you "facts" that "a medium displacement boat"
has 2,866.66666666 pounds of drag?

From the VPP diagrams and backup data on my boat, the VPP for a
Beneteau First 47, C.A. Marchaj's "Sail Performance" and working
backwards from Dave Gerr's figures. The VPPs were run with standard and
Gori folding 3 bladed props and showed from 12 to 15% increased speeds
with the folding props up to about 80% of the first reef point.

20 miles a day is a 15% improvement on a base 5.6 knot cruising speed
and you are correct that folding props make the most difference in light
air.

Reducing drag has the advantage over adding sail area in that it does
not add to heeling moment.

BTW, Gori, Martec, Brunton/Varifold and others make 3 blade folders.
Volvo even makes a 4 bladed folder.

Now, you can continue to rant and make an ass of yourself as usual but
that is all I have to say about it.

Rosalie B. August 28th 04 06:28 PM

(JAXAshby) wrote:

Rosalie, your prop was also turning while you were running the engine. that
alone is one hell of a drag.

That's what I was saying. When the engine is running the prop is
turning. When we shut the engine down and feather the prop the prop
doesn't spin the shaft anymore. That's why we got it - so that the
shaft wouldn't spin under sail.

I don't know if the prop spinning under sail has more drag than one (a
three blade one) that is stationary but not feathered, but the only
way we could keep it from turning while under sail would be to put
vise grips on the shaft.

JAXAshby August 29th 04 12:44 AM

Glenn, how does it feel to have a fish hook in your mouth?

the marketing people done did snag you.

170# at 5 knots is 85# at 2.5 knots is 42# a 1.25 knots. For a fixed
***three*** blade prop.

In other words, zip.

In fact, a two blade at 5 knots was IIRC about 75# and a two blade behind the
keel wwas about 45#.

In other words, "You how the f*&*% much to gain 0.05 knots speed??"

And, that damned feathering three blade cost you HOW much in forward speed
because the blades are flat?

Folding props are for race boat boats, and boat owners who like to brag how
much *they* spent on their boat. Sorta like the suburban home owner bragging
about spending $400/week to have his LARGE swimming pool cleaned.

btw, glenn, Dave Gerr rehashes other people's writings without all that much
verification.

glenn, just where is it you found you "facts" that "a medium displacement

boat"
has 2,866.66666666 pounds of drag?

From the VPP diagrams and backup data on my boat, the VPP for a

JAXAshby August 29th 04 12:50 AM

There aren't too many other things you can do to gain that much performance
that easily.

sure there are. you can clean the bottom of your boat. you can thoroughly
fair the hull before you bottom paint. you can take 500# of useless junk out
of your boat. you can trim the sails. you can buy better sails. you can take
down your dodger and/or bimini and/or 3 of your 8 solar panels. you can use a
hank on jib instead of a roller furled jib. you can use a vinyl bottom paint.
you can do polars on your boat to sail it smarter. you can move your anchor
and 275 foot of chain to the center of the boat. you can sail more so you need
300# less fuel onboard. ----------------------- you can install a two blade
prop ------------------------- which i damned cheap and damned effective. you
can line up your prop with the keel.

To name just a few.

JAXAshby wrote:
glenn, just where is it you found you "facts" that "a medium displacement
boat"
has 2,866.66666666 pounds of drag?

From the VPP diagrams and backup data on my boat, the VPP for a Beneteau

JAXAshby August 29th 04 12:51 AM

I don't know if the prop spinning under sail has more drag than one (a
three blade one) that is stationary but not feathered,

It does, but quite a bit.

JAXAshby August 29th 04 12:52 AM

uhhhhhhhh, mmc? which word didn't you understand?

From: "MMC"
Date: 8/28/2004 3:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Uh huh, and the point would be?

JAXAshby August 29th 04 01:11 AM

Wanna guess just how much powered is required to pull 170# at 5 knots?

about 2-1/2 hp. that's a LOT, isn't it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes August 29th 04 01:21 AM

There is another J36 at our marina, which has a fixed prop. It is
astonishingly slower than our boat. I know the sails aren't identical,
but we have caught them going to windward when we didn't even have a
jib hoisted.

Their bottom is cleaner or as clean.On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:02:39 GMT,

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
You will definitely will see a decent speed improvement under sail with a
folding prop

no, you won't. folding props only hve value for racing boats, where 2
seconds
a mile means the difference between 2nd place and 6th.

According to MIT tests, a folding prop means a savings of a mere 170
pounds
drag at 5 knots (or 40 pounds drag at 2-1/2 knots, or 10 pounds drag at
1-1/4
knots) over a --------- three ------------ blade prop. ***Much*** less
with
compared to a two-blade, and even less compared to a two-blade rotated
verticle
behind the keel.

Wanna guess just how much powered is required to pull 170# at 5 knots?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?

Rosalie B. August 29th 04 02:43 AM

(JAXAshby) wrote:

There aren't too many other things you can do to gain that much performance
that easily.

sure there are. you can clean the bottom of your boat. you can thoroughly

If you sail instead of sitting in the marina your boat will have a
clean bottom.

fair the hull before you bottom paint. you can take 500# of useless junk out
of your boat. you can trim the sails. you can buy better sails. you can take
down your dodger and/or bimini and/or 3 of your 8 solar panels. you can use a
hank on jib instead of a roller furled jib. you can use a vinyl bottom paint.
you can do polars on your boat to sail it smarter. you can move your anchor
and 275 foot of chain to the center of the boat. you can sail more so you need
300# less fuel onboard. ----------------------- you can install a two blade
prop ------------------------- which i damned cheap and damned effective. you
can line up your prop with the keel.

The person that inquired has a Westsail. This is not a racing boat.
He wants to sail faster WITH the dodger and bimini, and with the
roller furled jib and with the solar panels and the fuel etc. He
isn't racing.

Just because these are all things that can make a boat go faster
doesn't mean that they are viable options for a cruising sailboat nor
that the folding prop isn't also an option that he can use
effectively.

grandma Rosalie

Shen44 August 29th 04 03:41 AM

Subject: What are the pros and cons of a folding prop?
From: Rosalie B.

[...]

Question. Your engine was running but you were in neutral gear. Why wasn't the
prop feathered? i.e., does the prop "unfeather" when the engine starts or when
you put it in gear? What causes the prop to feather?
This is an area I'm not familiar with, though I frequently use VP/CP props.

Shen

Rosalie B. August 29th 04 04:58 AM

From: Rosalie B.

[...]

I don't know what a VP/CP prop is.

When our engine is running the shaft is spinning because we have a
Borg-Warner transmission. Our shaft spins whenever the engine is on
regardless whether it is neutral or not. The prop feathers when the
engine is turned off and the shaft stops spinning. The stopping of
the shaft spinning feathers the prop if I understand it correctly.
You really wouldn't want the prop feathered if the engine was on - if
it feathered when you went through neutral when docking or something
it would be very awkward.

grandma Rosalie

Rick August 29th 04 01:28 PM

Back in my racing days I used a Martec II folding prop. It I remember right
(Martec recommended) it was a 14x12 and replaced a 16x10 2 bladed and worked
ok. It was on a Yanmar 2GM20F. Less power in forward and significantly
less power in reverse. You need to be much more aggressive in reverse when
docking. Lots more walk to port also. Still had to line up the shaft (I
used the keyway since the two were inline) to get it to fold in light air
since the weight of the prop would cause it to open. I have even heard of
folks jumping overboard and putting a rubber band around them to keep it
closed. If it got fouled with growth so it would not open all the way it
would let you know by vibrating when trying to go forward. This is just
some of the things you need to put up with when you race.

I believe it did fold when going from forward to reverse. You could hear it
go "clunk."

With my current cruising boat I would look at feathering props if I were to
upgrade. I need a good reverse and these provide it.

I guess the question is did it help? I would guess so. Could I tell? No
not really.

I agree with JAX. There is quite a bit of stuff you can do to the bottom of
the boat for speed. But bolting on a folding prop is definitely easy. The
other speed improvements require hard work.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

Rosalie B. August 29th 04 02:17 PM

"Rick" wrote:

Back in my racing days I used a Martec II folding prop. It I remember right

I have been told that a folding prop and a feathering prop are
different. I haven't seen a folding prop, so I don't know what the
difference is.

(Martec recommended) it was a 14x12 and replaced a 16x10 2 bladed and worked
ok. It was on a Yanmar 2GM20F. Less power in forward and significantly
less power in reverse. You need to be much more aggressive in reverse when
docking. Lots more walk to port also. Still had to line up the shaft (I
used the keyway since the two were inline) to get it to fold in light air
since the weight of the prop would cause it to open. I have even heard of
folks jumping overboard and putting a rubber band around them to keep it
closed. If it got fouled with growth so it would not open all the way it
would let you know by vibrating when trying to go forward. This is just
some of the things you need to put up with when you race.

Yes, I sometimes go over to check and see if the prop is moving freely
and to wipe or chip off growth.

We had a 3 blade prop to start with, and we put on a 3 blade
feathering prop that was as close to the diameter and pitch of the old
prop as possible.

I believe it did fold when going from forward to reverse. You could hear it
go "clunk."

This is transmission dependent to a certain extent. Our transmission
goes clunk when going from forward to reverse. I can't hear the prop
feather. The only way we know if it has not feathered is that we can
still hear the shaft rotating.

With my current cruising boat I would look at feathering props if I were to
upgrade. I need a good reverse and these provide it.

I guess the question is did it help? I would guess so. Could I tell? No
not really.

I agree with JAX. There is quite a bit of stuff you can do to the bottom of
the boat for speed. But bolting on a folding prop is definitely easy. The
other speed improvements require hard work.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

prodigal1 August 29th 04 03:31 PM

Rosalie B. wrote:

I don't know what a VP/CP prop is.

variable pitch/constant pitch
the former you can feather, the latter you can't

MMC August 29th 04 05:01 PM

What I understand from any of your postings is that you are incredibly
insecure, misinformed, and HAVE to have the last word.
My point was, Rosalie had performed her own test on drag with prop folded
and unfolded and stated her results. You're pointing out that her prop was
turning and creating drag really didn't support your fantasy position in
this discussion. My fixed prop turns too, when in forward, reverse, or in
idle and sailing. In fact, the only time it doesn't turn is when the boat is
dockside. Amazing, huh?
I've avoided responding to your posts for years, but couldn't when you
lamely tried to make Rosalie look bad when all she was doing was
participating in a discussion (which she understands better than you do).

Shen44 August 29th 04 05:49 PM

I don't know what a VP/CP prop is.

Variable pitch/controlable pitch.
I use the terms interchangeably, but as you'll see, others use them slightly
differently.

When our engine is running the shaft is spinning because we have a
Borg-Warner transmission. Our shaft spins whenever the engine is on
regardless whether it is neutral or not. The prop feathers when the
engine is turned off and the shaft stops spinning. The stopping of
the shaft spinning feathers the prop if I understand it correctly.
You really wouldn't want the prop feathered if the engine was on - if
it feathered when you went through neutral when docking or something
it would be very awkward.

Interesting, thanks for the info.
I would wonder if once you were underway and using your prop, even going from
ahead to astern (unless you had a shaft brake) that the shaft would generally
continue to rotate on it's own, keeping the prop "unfeathered", though I can
see where the manufacturer might want to guarantee it would stay that way (just
clarifying in my own mind G).

Shen

Rosalie B. August 29th 04 09:40 PM

(Shen44) wrote:

I don't know what a VP/CP prop is.

Variable pitch/controlable pitch.
I use the terms interchangeably, but as you'll see, others use them slightly
differently.

When our engine is running the shaft is spinning because we have a
Borg-Warner transmission. Our shaft spins whenever the engine is on
regardless whether it is neutral or not. The prop feathers when the
engine is turned off and the shaft stops spinning. The stopping of
the shaft spinning feathers the prop if I understand it correctly.
You really wouldn't want the prop feathered if the engine was on - if
it feathered when you went through neutral when docking or something
it would be very awkward.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

We have a Max-Prop BTW.

I would wonder if once you were underway and using your prop, even going from
ahead to astern (unless you had a shaft brake) that the shaft would generally
continue to rotate on it's own, keeping the prop "unfeathered", though I can
see where the manufacturer might want to guarantee it would stay that way (just
clarifying in my own mind G).

I'm not sure that I understand this question, or if it is a question,
but in our particular configuration (which is NOT the norm) with a
Borg-Warner transmission, the shaft cannot be stopped from turning by
putting the gear shift lever into reverse or neutral (whether the
engine is running or not) which I guess is what is done on most kinds
of engine/transmission linkages. We don't have a shaft brake.

[I do know one man who DOES stop the shaft rotation when under sail
with vice grips but that involves pulling up the cockpit hatch covers
and getting down into the engine room both to start and stop the shaft
rotation.]

In the beginning, we tried to ease the engine into neutral and then
shut it down, but the prop would not feather doing it that way. Some
people go overboard the other way and rev the engine way up before
they cut the power, but that isn't necessary. All that is necessary
is that you not throttle way back before you cut the engine.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html

rhys August 30th 04 03:43 AM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:48:25 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

20 miles a day is a 15% improvement on a base 5.6 knot cruising speed
and you are correct that folding props make the most difference in light
air.

Reducing drag has the advantage over adding sail area in that it does
not add to heeling moment.

BTW, Gori, Martec, Brunton/Varifold and others make 3 blade folders.
Volvo even makes a 4 bladed folder.

Now, you can continue to rant and make an ass of yourself as usual but
that is all I have to say about it.

For what it's worth:

Buddy of mine with a steel Wallstrom-designed (partner to Brewer) 1979
ketch popped for a three-bladed AutoProp, a feathering design. He had
to haul out for many reasons: 1) to confirm the exact geometry of his
hull around the shaft; 2) to cut back his rudder at that point for the
install; and 3) to get the prop itself on. 1) was because it's
essentially a custom casting, and NOT cheap (about $3,500 Cdn.).

After three seasons now, he's happy as a clam with his decision and
outlay. He says the following:

Advantages:

Bigger prop, better bite and power curve. He's got a 35 HP Volvo
(probably 15-25 HP too small for a 28,000 lb. boat), but according to
him, the power he transmits to the prop is greatly increased. His top
speed without redlining has gone from 6.5 to 8.2 knots, or
approximately hull speed.

He says he gains 1/2 knot due to the self-feathering action, a
significant gain in typical light Lake Ontario air for this
essentially blue-water cruiser.

He backs down (after a quick rev to feather out the blades) far more
effectively now. He stops far more rapidly.

His docking is far more controlled. He can move his heavy, trad.
keeled boat like a minivan now. It's quite interesting to see.

Disadvantages:

The cones in his transmission have been wearing far more quickly and
have required replacement. He can handle this himself as a repair, so
it's more an annoyance than a tragedy, and spares from Volvo are
pricey.

He figures that shifting the gears with a bigger, heavier prop is
causing wear and tear beyond the engine spec. You can hear the "clunk"
of his shifting outside the boat, actually. He is consulting with a
marine engineer to determine a better course of action, but he is
leaning towards a shock-absorbing coupler and a thrust bearing
designed to isolate the engine transmission more effectively from the
sheer inertia of this otherwise fine prop.

Overall, he is so happy with the performance, however, both under sail
and power, that he would consider getting a new diesel to make full
use of the prop, rather than sticking with the small but still viable
diesel that perhaps doesn't have the beef at the back end to cope with
God's Own Feathering Prop G.

Hope this little tale helps.

R.

JAXAshby August 30th 04 04:37 AM

mmc, go away. you are a lying sack of squat trying to get people hurt. go
away.

Jim Richardson August 30th 04 06:00 AM

On 30 Aug 2004 03:34:57 GMT,
JAXAshby wrote:
rhys, hate to tell you this, but an Auto-Prop doesn't feather.

The blades rotate until they are inline with the shaft axis, how is this
not feathering?

Still, the clown spent $3,500 Cdn, so you gotta expect him to tell you
*something*.

What would have done the job as well, for less money?

'Windows' really does make a fine swear word, representing all that's
taboo and awful - just like '****', '****', etc."
-- Mark Hughes, sdm

JAXAshby August 30th 04 12:57 PM

paul, AC is a newbie who has been deliberately trying to harm people with his
nonsense posts. AC is the kind of person you tell to go pull a fake gun on a
cop late at night. AC, has no value in any fashion.

JAXAshby August 30th 04 12:58 PM

The blades rotate until they are inline with the shaft axis, how is this
not feathering?

take a look at the blades. they rotate and thus *reduce* drag, but they
certainly don't "feather".