WilliLyn6

Default Mercruiser 140 drive ?

I bought a 1986 16' sunbird with a mercruiser 140 ,I O It has a bent prop
shaft,"{ I thought it had a bad vibration" }...... any way, I don't know what
type of drive it has. My guess is it's an Alpha? ... Not 1, Or what ever! I'm
new to boats. Can some one tell me what it is, by these ser.#'s. I want to get
the parts online.
A5067~~ A0617~~ 1.98r
any help, will help . these #'s are from the drive
Bob Dimond

The drive is indeed an Alpha 1 generation one. the 1.98R is most likely
the gear ratio for the upper unit. ANY R/MR/Alpha 1 gen 1 lower will
bolt to your upper housing without modification. If you shop around
you should be able to get a used one for 500.00 or less. Just rebuild
the water pump before installing. If you looking to save money, this is
very much a do it yourself job.

http://www.sterndrive.cc

They sell complete units for $1195.00 and lowers for $695. These
prices are for NEW units, no exchange. No water pump rebuild necessary.
I have a complete unit on my boat, but because of the lack of hours, I
cannot comment on their longevity.

Bob Dimond