TORMAC53

Default AGM batts-how hot can they take

I have two AGM batteries in wooden boxes. They are right next to the exhaust of
a 85 hp perkins. This is the second set to "die" an early death. How sensitive
to heat are these. If in a well vented box of 3/4 marine ply that is sealed
with epoxy and painted, with a lid. How hot could the exhaust get the bat.
Real distance from the bat is 1" inside, then the 3/4"ply, then 4 to 5 " to the
mainiflold.
I want to stay with the AGM but never had this problem with the wet batts. I
will add heat and sound sheilds into the area if I have to but it is crowded
there already.
Thanks
Bob
Doug Dotson

Does your charge have provision for a temperature sensor on the battery?
If not then the higher temp of the batteries will result in overcharging.
Overcharging a wet battery just leads to water loss (unless it is extreme).
Overcharging an AGM will quickly destry it.

Doug
s/v Callista

"TORMAC53" wrote in message
I have two AGM batteries in wooden boxes. They are right next to the

exhaust of
a 85 hp perkins. This is the second set to "die" an early death. How

sensitive
to heat are these. If in a well vented box of 3/4 marine ply that is

sealed
with epoxy and painted, with a lid. How hot could the exhaust get the bat.
Real distance from the bat is 1" inside, then the 3/4"ply, then 4 to 5 "

to the
mainiflold.
I want to stay with the AGM but never had this problem with the wet batts.

will add heat and sound sheilds into the area if I have to but it is

crowded
there already.
Thanks
Bob

TORMAC53

Yes the charger is temp sensitive. I am more concerned about the heat of the
engine regarless of charging. I know charging temp is important to the ultimate
best charge but I am more intrested in the survival aspect
Doug Dotson

I suppose you can get some spec from the manufacturer dealing
with storage temperatures. Battery temperature is much more
important than getting the ultimate charge. As I said earlier,
overcharging an AGM is the leading cause of battery failure.
Other than that, they are very rugged. I believe that AGM
are used inmost military vehicles and many aircraft in general.
The environments they are used in can get very hot and very
cold.

Doug
s/v Callista

Battery Questions bruce Electronics 2 August 26th 03 09:14 PM
More Battery Questions CaptMP General 3 August 26th 03 08:22 PM