Rich Hampel

Default Ocracoke

Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

Thanks
RayD

Great question... I'm hoping to find out around 10/18/04. I was thinking
about calling the Anchorage Inn & Marina at 252.928.6661. If you call,
please post the reponse.

Chart 11550_1 indicates that the channel is deeper than the sound at about
10-16 feet.

"Rich Hampel" wrote in message
Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

Thanks

DSK

Rich Hampel wrote:
Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

??? Where are you trying to go? There's no way to get from the Pamlico
River anywhere near Ocracoke without crossing Pamlico Sound. It'd be
like trying to get into Block Island from the Pawcatuck River

Are you going from the ICW out to Ocracoke? That would go from the mouth
of either the Neuse or Pamlico River across the Sound, about twenty five
miles, up to either Big Foot or Nine Foot channels. Big Foot channel is
harder to follow and is about 5'.... the other is a longer way but
slightly easier and about 8'... both go past the entrance into Silver
Lake, the harbor at Ocracoke, out to the sea channel, so they aren't
"red right returning" until you make the final turn into Silver Lake.
This confuses a lot of folks and gives the place a reputation for being
more difficult than it really is.

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Rosalie B.

DSK wrote:

Rich Hampel wrote:
Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

??? Where are you trying to go? There's no way to get from the Pamlico
River anywhere near Ocracoke without crossing Pamlico Sound. It'd be
like trying to get into Block Island from the Pawcatuck River

He did say Sound/River

Are you going from the ICW out to Ocracoke? That would go from the mouth
of either the Neuse or Pamlico River across the Sound, about twenty five
miles, up to either Big Foot or Nine Foot channels. Big Foot channel is
harder to follow and is about 5'.... the other is a longer way but
slightly easier and about 8'... both go past the entrance into Silver
Lake, the harbor at Ocracoke, out to the sea channel, so they aren't
"red right returning" until you make the final turn into Silver Lake.
This confuses a lot of folks and gives the place a reputation for being
more difficult than it really is.

We've always stayed away because we felt the shallower channel was too
shallow and the deeper channel had a bridge that was too low.

Bob did want to go out Oregon Inlet and back in Little Creek, and we
even ordered the paper chart. But it didn't really tell us anything
more than the other charts did, and it has somehow gotten lost. (and
I swear I didn't do it).

I don't really care much for Pamlico Sound. Albemarle has a nasty
rep, but it's never been a problem for us. Pamlico OTOH has never
been nice.

grandma Rosalie
RayD

Are you referring to the channel east of Roanoke, north of the Pamlico
Sound? I am not aware of any bridges over the Big Foot channel.

What are your bad experiences sailing the Pamlico Sound? Weather?

With my keel swung up, i draw about 4 feet. Instead of taking the ICW down
the Alligator River, I'm thinking of motoring around Roanoke (thru the 5ft
reported channel) and sailing down the sound to Ocracoke.

What say ye?

We've always stayed away because we felt the shallower channel was too
shallow and the deeper channel had a bridge that was too low.

Rich Hampel

I dont know the name of the channel that cuts through between Roanoke
Is. and Kill Devil; but, about 8 years ago I went east on the Albemarle
to Manteo on Roanoke Is. ... and that channel had 8-10 ft. depth all
the way in.

I really enjoyed Manateo/Roanoke ... the people are 'super'. Only one
marina in Manteo but very well kept ( at least it was).
Rosalie B.

"RayD" raydatgisdotnet wrote:

Are you referring to the channel east of Roanoke, north of the Pamlico
Sound? I am not aware of any bridges over the Big Foot channel.

OK - you made me look at the charts. What we had been thinking of was
another way to get from Albemarle to Pamlico Sound without having to
go through the Alligator Pungo Canal. (Bob likes the Alligator because
we can usually sail there, but there's a lot of problems with
deadheads in the canal) We'd have to go through either Roanoke or
Croatian Sound, and one is shallow (we draw 5') and the other one has
the bridge and we have a 58.5' mast. I wasn't really thinking about
the actual channel exit. Sorry.

What are your bad experiences sailing the Pamlico Sound? Weather?

Yes mostly. We've just been through the corner of Pamlico Sound from
the Bay River to the Neuse River but we've done it 6 times. Looking
at my logs, I see that the first year (Nov 2000) was relatively benign
(foggy the next day going down, and foggy in Oriental in the morning
going back(April 2001)).

The second year (Nov 2001) going south was rough and windy. We had
people with us and the guy really enjoyed the sailing, but I was a bit
unhappy. Coming north we had fog coming out of Oriental again (April
2002). We also had a lot of fog on the Pasquotank in Nov 2003 which
basically cleared up as soon as we got to Albemarle sound.

Then this past winter (Nov 2003) it was OK coming down but it was
really windy and rough coming back in (and of course that's the
freshest in my memory).

I wrote: "April 24, 2004 continued
We go through the Adams Core Creek Canal and into Adams Creek. It is
quite windy - the wind has picked up to 19-22 knots and it has gotten
cloudy. I suggested that Bob put out the lines for docking in
Oriental while we are still in Adam's Creek before we get into the
Neuse River where it will be less protected. GLORY DAYS passed as he
was doing that, and stared in astonishment. I don't know whether they
were surprised that he was out on deck, or whether they couldn't
figure out what he was doing. There's a sailboat race in Adams Creek,
and another one at the entrance to Adams Creek in the Neuse River. I
overheard some of the racers at dinner, and they had a very boisterous
race. There are big waves in the Neuse. I saw a kayak paddle drifting
past as we went into the Oriental channel....

"April 25, 2004 We were crashing into the waves all the way up the
Neuse River. Bob put the main and staysail up and we were all the way
up to 7 mph. The Hobucken Coast Guard got a report of a dinghy adrift
(with life jackets in it) near the Oriental entrance channel, and we
saw their boat go after it. There are 4 sailboats behind us. As we
turned the corner into Pamlico Sound and then into the Bay River, Bob
put the jib up."

With my keel swung up, i draw about 4 feet. Instead of taking the ICW down
the Alligator River, I'm thinking of motoring around Roanoke (thru the 5ft
reported channel) and sailing down the sound to Ocracoke.

What say ye?

We've always stayed away because we felt the shallower channel was too
shallow and the deeper channel had a bridge that was too low.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
DSK

RayD wrote:
Are you referring to the channel east of Roanoke, north of the Pamlico
Sound? I am not aware of any bridges over the Big Foot channel.

What are your bad experiences sailing the Pamlico Sound? Weather?

With my keel swung up, i draw about 4 feet. Instead of taking the ICW down
the Alligator River, I'm thinking of motoring around Roanoke (thru the 5ft
reported channel) and sailing down the sound to Ocracoke.

What say ye?

Definitely go. It's deeper than that, it's pretty well marked, and there
are some really nice places... it's a big big tourist area during high
summer though.

With 4' draft you can go a lot great places.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Le Grand Poobah

Hi Rich,
Let me help you out here. If you want to go down around Manteo on the
eastern side of Roanoke, you'll need to pay very close attention.
There are fish obstructions on the N end of the island near the
outdoor theater. There are a couple of temporary markers near the
entrance to SHallowbag Bay (at least there were before the hurricanse
came thru). As you approach Pirate's Cove and the bridge, the channel
narrows up significantly. You can quite literally wade over to
jockey's ridge near this part of the sound. It's best if you follow
someone down from the bridge to Oregon Inlet as getting out of the
channel can put you into 6 inches of water and it dog legs a couple of
times. Once you get past marker 55, you can turn out into Old House
channel and head to Okok.

BTW - The entrance to Pirate's Cove is usually shoal up. I wouldn't
attempt to go in there in a sailing vessel. Likewise, it can be a bit
of a chore getting around in Shallowbag bay near the Manteo waterfront
but it might be worth a shot if you want to stop off somewhere. Stay
away from the shore on the right side going in. The middle of
Shallowbag bay has the deep water and then it dog legs to the right up
to the waterfront. At the top of my web page is a picture of the
sailboat they run in and out of there. Picture was taken at the
entrance to Shallowbag bay. There's another picture of shallowbag bay
farther down.

(http://http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s...&groupid=45696)

Alternatively, you can go down the middle of the western side of
Roanoke Island with plenty of room to spare on either side and 8-10 ft
mean depths all the way. You will have to go under two bridges, but
there's plenty of places to pass thru. There are stumps near the
entrance to Mann's Harbor marina and it's not all that deep either.
I'd stay away from there.

Pea, Hatteras and Okok Islands are very shallow for several hundred
yards out on the north-western side. Stay well off - a mile or more to
be certain.

You can likely motor in to Hatteras harbor without too much trouble,
but the hurricane may have knocked down some markers so be careful.
Following someone in is best. The charter boats come back in around
3-5 pm.

When you get near Okok harbor, you'll see a big sand bluff out near
the channel junction. I suggest you hold outside (west of the bluff)
and wait until you see a ferry and follow it in if you can arrange to
arrive in time for the Swan Quarter or Sea Level ferries. They draw
around 4 ft. for the Hatteras class ferries. Alternatively, follow
another vessel of your class in. Do not follow any small workboats as
they are all shallow draft and have purposefully cut their skegs
short. (I'm serious - all the locals saw off their skegs).

Be sure to make reservations before going. The park service dock is
first come first served and is usually full. Ocracoke Harbor Inn has
docks with deep water alongside for guests. Or you can anchor out in
the middle of the creek (Silver Lake) and dinghy in.

The Pelican restaurant sells spicy boiled shrimp in the courtyard (to
your right thru the "spanish" arch) in the afternoons for cheap.

Have fun,
John...

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:22:44 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

Thanks

Lee Huddleston

wrote:

Anyone with local knowledge know the depths into Ocracoke Island from
the Pamlico Sound / River?

Thanks

Rich,

I draw 6 feet and have gone into and out of Ocracoke several times
from the Pamlico Sound and the Atlantic. You should not have any
problems. It is a really nice place to visit.

I did run aground once coming into Ocracoke from the Atlantic, but it
wasn't the channel depth that got me. I got confused in the dark,
missed an unlighted buoy, and got swept sideways by a raging tide
right onto the side of the channel. Of course, most people would tell
you that coming into Ocracoke Inlet at night (or even any time) is
crazy, especially with a boat that draws 6 feet. I do have to admit
that it will tighten your sphincter. :-)

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove