John Smith

Default Electric OB ona dinghy question

I have the Typhoon inflateable keel dinghy from Bombard. About 8' long The
strongest electric transommount trolling motors made at 12 volts run about
50 lb thrust. Without adding one or two batteries to gain a higher thrust
.....does anyone know what speed with say two people and a couple bags of
groceries might be attained?

M.

Grzegorz Aksamit

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:00:23 -0500, John Smith wrote:

I have the Typhoon inflateable keel dinghy from Bombard. About 8' long The
strongest electric transommount trolling motors made at 12 volts run about
50 lb thrust. Without adding one or two batteries to gain a higher thrust
....does anyone know what speed with say two people and a couple bags of
groceries might be attained?

M.

I have Minnkota 55lbs on a 17' 1500lbs sailboat and it gets up 3.1 knots on
a flat water.
Same motor on a 9' hard dinghy with one person and the group 27 battery on
board gets 4.2 knots. I was told I could gain about half a knot by changing
to an aluminum "power" prop (~$30) and another half a knot if added a Kort
nozzle ($$$)

Greg