rhys

Default 2004 BVI Anchor Test and Pain Killer Cruise preliminary report

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:39:57 -0400, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

I wish. This was on a Beneteau 505 bareboat charter. I was in need of
some motivation for the final stages of building. If I keep my A** in
gear this Fall and Winter RUTU will be in the water by next summer.

I hear you. My engine's in pieces in the garage while I slave at a
desk this year. Argh.

R.
Glenn Ashmore

I will take a picture and send it to you. They should be easy to add
just before you need to get the anchor regalvanized but unless you
bought it before early 2002 your anchor should have them. I only
received one S80 in the old style.

Keith wrote:
Can you send me a picture? Someday I might want to weld some onto mine, if
they help. You know the address. Thanks!

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Paul L

Glenn,
Have you posted the details of your anchor test yet?

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
We're back! 10 days of sailing and daily anchor testing. Brought down a
33 lb. aluminum Spade and borrowed equivalent Delta, CQR and Bruce anchors
from BVIYC. Primary rode was 3/8" all chain and secondary was 40' of 5/16
with three strand. We tested setting, basic holding power and long term
drag under pressure on both rodes in sand, sand over grass, mud/sand mix
and muck. It took about 2 hours a day with all 7 crew working. Two in
the dinghy changing anchors, two snorkeling with cameras, measuring rods
and marker buoys, helmsman, windlass operator and note takers.

The test sites were Cistern Point, Cooper Island (grass over sand); Dead
man Bay, Peter Island (grass over sand); Green Key (loose sand); Great
Cruz bay (mud/sand mix) and Hurricane Hole, St. John (muck).

The procedure was to drop an anchor and mark where it landed with a buoy
(pool noodle tied to a 5# lead weight). Set it and drop another buoy and
measure the distance it took to set. Let out to 7:1, back down slowly
then up to 2,200 RPM for 5 minutes and measure the drag distance. Hook on
the dynamometer, increase RPM until it broke out and record the maximum
rode tension. If it didn't back out we shortened rode until it did
recording maximum tension and ratio. We then reset and pulled from about
90º to the side to see how it realigned to the new pull.

Basic findings:
We found little difference between all chain and rope/chain except on
extremely short (under 4:1) rodes.
The Bruce set fastest overall in all but grass over sand but drug first
every time.
Delta and CQR set and held about the same (holding considerably better
than the Bruce) but when pulled off center the CQR realigned itself better
without breaking out when pulled at an angle.
The Spade required a little more attention to get it to set but held
considerably better on shorter scope than all the others in all bottoms.
It also realigned itself with less position loss than the others.

We found that you have to let the Spade sit for a few seconds and let the
wind push the boat back before it would right itself. In stronger wind it
was necessary to slowly let out scope to give it time to start to set.
Once the bow came up into the wind it set perfectly every time. If you
back down before it has a chance to right itself it just skids on its
side.

I will post pictures, a cleaned up spread sheet and add more detailed
results on my anchor site once I quit rocking.