Rosalie B.

Default Long Weekend in the Chesapeake

After we got back home to Point Lookout Marina in Smith Creek off the
Potomac in May, we hauled the boat to check on it and fix where we ran
around in the channel south of Wrightsville Beach. Then we went to
visit our #3 daughter at her new home near Dallas, and I went to my
45th college reunion in Ohio.

Bob decided that since we weren't going south next winter, he'd just
give it a lick and a promise so we put her back in the water in the
middle of June. The first time we had a chance to take her out was
the first week in July when our son, SIL and grandchildren came to
visit. We went across the Potomac to Coles Point Plantation for
lunch. Unfortunately, the wind was either non-existent or on the nose,
so it was mostly motoring.

Since then I've been looking for a weather window that wasn't tornados
or "damaging lighting" storms, and it looked like this weekend would
be it although I would rather go during the week. Thursday August 5th
was the projected start day, but it rained pitchforks all day, so we
waited until Friday.

Friday August 6, 2004

It was about 10 before we got the boat dried off, and got her ready to
leave. The wind tried to blow us sideways into the slip, but it
worked out OK. We were going to get fuel, but Bob figured we'd never
get off the fuel dock afterwards, and we don't really need it as we've
got about 50 gallons.

Bob did his usual trick of putting the sails up right away as we
motored out the channel of Smith Creek. I had a hard time holding the
bow into the wind which was 20-30 knots. Finally he turned away from
the wind and got the rest of the sail up (just main and staysail) and
turned the engine off, and we sailed toward the mouth of the Potomac.

I'm hoping that the winds will drop off a bit this afternoon as
predicted - NOT.

We hear on the radio that there is a sailboat taking on water off
Point Lookout, and we see the CG boat from St. Inigos going out to
him. Eventually we get to the mouth of the Potomac, and see him with
the CG boat and also the state police helicopter overhead. According
to what we hear on the radio, a plastic thru hull broke and a 2"
stream of water was coming in to the boat. But it was so rough that
the CG couldn't take the boat in tow and they are having trouble
getting the pump started so everyone is bailing.

We had a very fast trip downwind to Reedville. The peaches that were
in the wire hanging basket got so beat up that Bob threw them out
later. As we come down to the Greater Wicomico, we see a menhaden boat
coming out of the river. They apparently decided it was too rough for
them, and turned around and went back to the dock along with all the
rest of their kin.

When we tied up at Reedville Marina, we had gone 29.3 nm at an average
speed of 5.7 knots. The GPS said the max speed was 9.8 knots which is
more than our 7+knot hull speed.

The owner of the marina was not there, and they don't answer the
radio, so I called on the phone and some of the restaurant personnel
came out and helped us tie up on the face dock. His instructions to
them before he left was that any boat less than 35 feet could take any
available slip. I like a face dock better, although we are subject to
a lot of dock walkers looking at the boat.

Note - this is really a restaurant with docks, although they do have
bathrooms for the boaters. But if the restaurant is closed (and they
are closed Monday, and mid December to mid May), there is no one there
even to answer the phone.

We had an early dinner at the Crazy Crab - I had a crabcake with
broccoli and an enormous sweet potato, and Bob had shrimp salad with
cole slaw and potato salad. Then we walked up as far as the museum.
They were having an Antique and Classic Boat Show this weekend, and
boats were on display on trailers and also at the docks behind most of
the houses on Main Street.

They put a big power boat named Fair Dinkum in front of us on the face
dock. Neither of us can stay more than Friday night, as they need the
docks and slips for the boat show.

After we got back to the boat, we got dessert (I had apple pie with
ice cream and Bob had coconut cream) and took it back to the boat to
eat. The restaurant was too full for us to get a seat, and it was
pretty windy and cold to eat outside.

Saturday, August 7, 2004

Saturday, we wait for Fair Dinkum to leave - he needs a fan belt and
no one here has any idea when or where one can be purchased. The gas
dock is right in front of Fair Dinkum, and someone is there getting
gas, so he has a hard time getting out. (And his being there makes it
hard for other people to get in to get fuel, although we did see a
single hander in a crab pot boat make a very nice job of it.)

It is very easy to get off the dock with FAIR DINKUM gone. We push
off about 9:20 and Bob puts up the main and jib, and turns off the
engine when we get out of the river. We heard someone on the radio
asking someone else if he was trying to avoid submarines by zig
zagging the way he was.

The wind decreased and at 1207, Bob started the engine. We are coming
into Tangier. We talk to the dockmaster at Parks, and she puts us
alongside of the little house with the bathrooms. This is perfect for
us, as I don't have to climb over the lifelines, and we are not
aground at low tide. We have come 16.9 nm at an average speed of 4.4
knots. The charge for a boat over about 35 feet is $25.00

I decided that we should have lunch in town, and we both had Tangier
crab soup and apple pan dowdy at the Fisherman's Corner. The apple
pan dowdy turned out to be apples and granola and ice cream in a tall
glass. Then we walked out in town, (I bought a map from a box on a
fence for $1.00) and got a tour on a golf cart tour vehicle for $4.00
each. Bob got some ice at the grocery story (we aren't running the
refrigeration just for this weekend).

There is a LOT of current in the marina when we get back. A power cat
is tied up at the end of our dock, and a big power boat named TIGGER
comes in who has been promised that spot. They tied up to the pilings
across the ends of the slips to wait for him to vacate the space - he
was only going to be an hour, but his hour is up and there is no sign
of him.

I've decided to eat dinner at Crocketts family style which is up past
the church. Mr. Parks tells us that she doesn't seat anyone after
5:15, so we hike up there. Dinner is $17.00 each for all you can eat.
They start out putting the cold dishes on the table (cole slaw, potato
salad, pickled beets, ham, and applesauce), and then add rolls, green
beans, corn pudding, fried clam fritters, and either one or two crab
cakes (which are round). It finishes up with home made pound cake.

One of the guys at our table flew in his private plane, and he came
down to see our boat. He is staying at Crockett's B&B because
Shirley's Bay View (over by the airport) is full. His kids are riding
bikes and they have ice cream after dinner at Spanky's. The power cat
is gone, and TIGGER is tied up with their bow sticking across in front
of ours. They intend to go to St. Leonard creek tomorrow.

Sunday August 8, 2004

We really can't leave until TIGGER does. There is a boat behind us so
we can't back up, and the wind is blowing us toward the dock. She
walks out in town to take some photos (b&w), so it is fortunate we are
in no hurry as we are only going to Crisfield today.

After they leave Bob takes off the lines (the boat doesn't move from
the dock) and we motor out the channel toward Tangier Sound. The
depth sounder does go off, and Bob sees as little as 6 feet. We tied
up in Crisfield after a trip of 12.4 nm. We haven't even tried to
sail as the wind is under 5 knots. A boat named EXODUS comes in after
us and is across the dock.

There are many empty slips in the marina, but I suppose it is Sunday
and everyone has to be back at work on Monday. Most stuff in
Crisfield is closed. I took the laptop up and used the email line.

We went up and ate at the Waterman's Inn which was closed when we were
here before (a Monday and Tuesday), and had the Early Bird Platter
(served before 6 pm) for $10.95 each - two small entrees and two
vegetables. Bob had steamed shrimp, a crabcake, lima beans and a
salad, and I had a crab cake, broiled white fish (Tilapia or something
like that), ratatouille and wild rice. We both had dessert - I had
creme brulee and Bob had a chocolate volcano.

After we got back to the boat, I went for a swim, but the water was
quite cold, and I couldn't stay in it long.

Monday August 9, 2004

It looks like the predicted winds are from the SW and will be good for
getting back home today and there are possible thunderstorms again
tomorrow. (They lied about the wind again) So we cast off relatively
uneventfully about 0900. We turned south toward Tangier as Bob thinks
that going through Tangier rather than north around Smith will give us
a better angle on the wind to get from there to the Potomac.

The menhaden boats are out in force, and we see some schools of
menhaden on the surface between Tangier and Smith Point. Nothing we
can do gives us any wind for sailing though. We had chicken for
lunch, and I ate the last nectarine and Bob had a banana.

We got in to the marina just before 4 pm after 36.5 nm at an average
speed of 5.2 knots. We got fuel first (50 gallons - we carry 100
gallons) before we went to our slip. We've used the engine about 14
hours on this trip.

After we get the boat unloaded, we go down to Courtney's for dinner
(Scheibles is closed on Monday and the Spinnaker has not yet been
rebuilt after Isabel). Bob has the soup (Maryland crab or clam
chowder) and salad bar, and I have the salad bar and stuffed local
fish with cheese sauce (@ $12.95) which is wonderful and then I have
blackberry cobbler a la mode for dessert and Bob just has ice cream.
(I've gained 4 lbs.)

Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/
Rich Hampel

Keep up the 'reporting' on the mid-bay !!!!!
Im heading down there in a few weeks and appreciate the 'local info'
including the restaurants!
Whats the current depth into Tangier Island coming in from the west?
Also hows the depth on the east side chennel?

thanx

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

[...]

Rosalie B.

Rich Hampel wrote:

Keep up the 'reporting' on the mid-bay !!!!!
Im heading down there in a few weeks and appreciate the 'local info'
including the restaurants!
Whats the current depth into Tangier Island coming in from the west?

From the west is it fine. (that is from the Chesapeake Bay. You have
to take the markers in turn, there's a green 1, and then a second
green, and then over to the left a red so you come in and it looks
like you are going into the breakwater and then turn a run along side
of it to get around the red.

The markers change sides halfway through - so red is right coming in
and then on the left going out the to the Tangier Sound side.

Also hows the depth on the east side chennel?

After they leave Bob takes off the lines (the boat doesn't move from
the dock) and we motor out the channel toward Tangier Sound. The
depth sounder does go off, and Bob sees as little as 6 feet.

It was about 6 feet in places both times. However, we draw 5' and we
don't go aground until it is 4.6'

grandma Rosalie
Leanne

(I've gained 4 lbs.)

Rosalie
I gained at least 5lbs from your description of all of that fine food. Those
are the kinds of trips that I like.

Leanne