BoatBanter.com

-   -   Poor Skippy! (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/169292-poor-skippy.html)

[email protected] November 2nd 15 11:35 AM

Poor Skippy!

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 16:59:25 -0700, Paul Cassel
wrote:

On 11/1/2015 9:22 AM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 06:37:41 -0500, wrote:

WRONG! Skippy posted soon after that that he had to return
to Florida again because his grandmother-in-law had fallen
and broken her hip or arm or some such. Since she's about
90 years old she needs someone to look after her.

We who have families have obligations to those families. I did see that
post but so what? You really sneer at him for taking care of MIL?

I've seen bitter people in my life, but you take the cake.

-paul

---

He has no one and obviously no one cares for him.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

Paul Cassel[_2_] November 2nd 15 12:42 PM

Poor Skippy!

On 11/2/2015 4:35 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 16:59:25 -0700, Paul Cassel

He has no one and obviously no one cares for him.
--

Clearly a bitterness shines through his posts about Skip. I think you
hit it square.

-paul

---

[email protected] November 2nd 15 11:36 PM

Poor Skippy!

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 05:42:35 -0700, Paul Cassel
wrote:

On 11/2/2015 4:35 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 16:59:25 -0700, Paul Cassel

He has no one and obviously no one cares for him.
--

Clearly a bitterness shines through his posts about Skip. I think you
hit it square.

The pitiful thing is that people have made extremely long voyages in
boats smaller than his. Here is a reference to a young Hungarian who
circumnavigated in a 6 metre sail boat. I met the guy in Thailand and
he is a nice down to earth bloke, Not the "look at me, I am a hero
type" at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h167pT8u_Cg

So he could go cruising, if he wanted to do something other then just
play the fool on the Internet.
--
Cheers,

Bruce

[email protected] November 3rd 15 04:18 AM

Poor Skippy!

On Tue, 03 Nov 2015 06:36:28 +0700, wrote:

The pitiful thing is that people have made extremely long voyages in
boats smaller than his. Here is a reference to a young Hungarian who
circumnavigated in a 6 metre sail boat. I met the guy in Thailand and
he is a nice down to earth bloke, Not the "look at me, I am a hero
type" at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h167pT8u_Cg

So he could go cruising, if he wanted to do something other then just
play the fool on the Internet.

===

Down in the Caribbean islands we've seen boats as small as 22 feet
that have sailed trans-Atlantic from Europe.

[email protected] November 3rd 15 10:55 AM

Poor Skippy!

wrote:

The pitiful thing is that people have made extremely long voyages in
boats smaller than his. Here is a reference to a young Hungarian who
circumnavigated in a 6 metre sail boat. I met the guy in Thailand and
he is a nice down to earth bloke, Not the "look at me, I am a hero
type" at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h167pT8u_Cg

So he could go cruising, if he wanted to do something other then just
play the fool on the Internet.

===

Down in the Caribbean islands we've seen boats as small as 22 feet
that have sailed trans-Atlantic from Europe.

Years ago a couple of Brits crossed in an 18 ft. boat and I suspect
that even smaller have by now.

I asked the Hungarian about crossing large bodies of water and he said
something that (I suspect) most people don't think about. He said that
carrying enough food and water meant he had to sleep in the cockpit
for the first part of any crossing because the cabin was full of food,
water and supplies. When I saw him in Phuket, and I'm sure that he had
only come up from Singapore, there was just about enough room in the
cabin to lay down on the floor :-)
--
Cheers,

Bruce

Paul Cassel[_2_] November 3rd 15 06:03 PM

Poor Skippy!

wrote:

Years ago a couple of Brits crossed in an 18 ft. boat and I suspect
that even smaller have by now.

I asked the Hungarian about crossing large bodies of water and he said
something that (I suspect) most people don't think about. He said that
carrying enough food and water meant he had to sleep in the cockpit
for the first part of any crossing because the cabin was full of food,
water and supplies. When I saw him in Phuket, and I'm sure that he had
only come up from Singapore, there was just about enough room in the
cabin to lay down on the floor :-)
--

The Brits have an informal class of small boats which do long ocean
voyages. They're called cockleshell boats and resemble a large row boat

I met a guy with such a boat. He'd sailed from Vancouver, BC to SoCal.
He had no issues sailing anywhere in the world in his little wooden craft.

-paul

---

Skip Gundlach November 4th 15 01:39 AM

Poor Skippy!

"Sir Gregory Hall, Esq." wrote in message

.... stuff and nonsense.

I'm way behind in my logs, but came back to the Bahamas after getting MIL
back on her feet and independent.

You've not heard a lot from me of late because I've been traveling on land,
for many reasons, some of them family, and some rowing affiliations (which
will also take me to Philadelphia 12-15 May16 for the anniversary of my 3rd
of 4 medals [three of which were gold] for collegiate rowing during my time
in college).

Depending on some other stuff which may come up after the first, I expect to
be back in the Bahamas yet again; 300 new entry fee beats 400 plus a diver
every month in Vero Beach...

As to all the Neal Bashing, enjoy yourselves. Neal and I understand each
other :{)) - I used to flummox both Bob and him (in his many personas, all
well done and separated) on a regular basis...

Right now I'm listening to my granddaughter, a composer, singing and playing
some of her music; tomorrow we're going to the math and science university
classes my other granddaughter (here) is taking, with her, before we go to
help her finish the rework of a motorcycle gas tank she is rehabbing. Then
I'm off to help my son build a deck, before going to the SSCA meeting in
Melbourne...

L8R, y'all

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
and/or
http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not
fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson