Default My big boat project for the week.

As a live aboard sailor, I do all the maintenance my boat
might require. This week's project was not a difficult one.

About a year ago I made a rain fly out of Plexiglas which
fits atop the aft end of the companionway sliding hatch.

Many modern sailboats, probably because of the necessity
of getting a GRP deck out of the deck mold, are built in such
a way that the companionway itself slopes aft at the
bottom which allows rain to fall straight into the companionway
if the washboards are not in place. Well, I need ventilation
since I cruise the low latitudes where it's often quite hot so
I can't have the washboards in the companionway when it's
raining as the accommodation becomes insufferable hot.

So, I have constructed a hand-sewn, Sunbrella edged screen
that is Velcroed along the aft side of the companionway
sliding hatch and this hangs down about 2/3rds of the way
and rests against the bottom companionway washboard
thus thwarting mosquitoes and no-see-ums but allowing
air to pass through the top half of the companionway.

In order to keep rain from blowing and dribbling off the aft
end of the companionway hatch slider, down the screen,
and into the accommodation, I fitted the Plexiglas
rain fly so it overlaps the sliding hatch by about one foot.
A little roof of sorts. Well, clear Plexiglas was not my cup
of tea because it started to look shabby and stained from
the DEET in the mosquito spray which I use on the screen
to drive away the dastardly little critters. Also any added
protection from the sun's damaging rays afforded by the
Plexiglas will be maximized by a layer of paint. The
bug screen will last longer.

So, I decided to paint the Plexiglas. It took me about ten
minutes. Job done except for having a few beers while
the paint dries.

Ah, the rigors of the cruising life . . .

--
Sir Gregory

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:01:02 -0400, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"
åke wrote:

So, I decided to paint the Plexiglas. It took me about ten
minutes. Job done except for having a few beers while
the paint dries.

Ah, the rigors of the cruising life . . .

===

You're lucky that you didn't have my anchor neighbor from Antigua to
distract you. Those big fenders on he foredeck can catch your eye at
some critical juncture and make a botch of the whole project.

I'd respectfully suggest that if you are going to paint the plexiglass
that you could have used marine plywood instead for a considerable
cost saving.

åke wrote:

So, I decided to paint the Plexiglas. It took me about ten
minutes. Job done except for having a few beers while
the paint dries.

Ah, the rigors of the cruising life . . .

===

You're lucky that you didn't have my anchor neighbor from Antigua to
distract you. Those big fenders on he foredeck can catch your eye at
some critical juncture and make a botch of the whole project.

I'd respectfully suggest that if you are going to paint the plexiglass
that you could have used marine plywood instead for a considerable
cost saving.

I have discovered that wood = rot. I can no longer abide wood at all.
Even for decoration wood is untenable. So, I've been slowly replacing
wood with plastic. I've only got a few sticks of wood remaining on the
outside of my vessel. I have plenty of wood inside the accommodation
where it doesn't get wet so it tends to rot much more slowly.

The Plexiglas was free. I found it in a dumpster that's behind a
hardware store. I think it was the front side of some kind of a
sign board that they no longer wanted.

I saw that big fender but I liked those little bumpers on the
chest of that woman better. LOL! Women! They pretty much
prove the existence of God. It certainly takes a god to
render such perfection of form. . . Now their brains, well
that's a different story entirely.

--
Sir Gregory