Default Electrical Advice

I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger standby generator on our house,
probably a 17KW model.

The generator will be approximately 50 to 60 feet away from the house
circuit breakers. The wire will run under the main level floor and above
the lower level ceiling.

I want as little current drop as possible. The generator provides
100 amps.

One of the contractors under consideration wants to use aluminum wire,
but I am more than willing to pay the premium between aluminum and
copper. I don't have an electrical "handibook" available.

What I am wondering:

1. Is 4/0 copper wire heavy enough?

2. Anyone know a supplier for about 70 feet of the stuff?

Our local electrical suppliers don't seem to want to provide a length
that short.

Thanks.

OH...boating connection...with the genny, I'll be able to charge up boat
batteries even if the power company loses power... :)

--
I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.

On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 16:07:28 -0400, X ` Man
wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger standby generator on our house,
probably a 17KW model.

The generator will be approximately 50 to 60 feet away from the house
circuit breakers. The wire will run under the main level floor and above
the lower level ceiling.

I want as little current drop as possible. The generator provides
100 amps.

One of the contractors under consideration wants to use aluminum wire,
but I am more than willing to pay the premium between aluminum and
copper. I don't have an electrical "handibook" available.

What I am wondering:

1. Is 4/0 copper wire heavy enough?

4/0 is severe overkill.

For 100 amps, #2 will give 3% voltage drop at 100 ft of 2-wire cable
(200 ft total lenght of conductor).

#2 copper is 0.162 ohms per 1000 ft

#4/0 copper os 0.0508 ohms per 1000 ft.

2. Anyone know a supplier for about 70 feet of the stuff?

Our local electrical suppliers don't seem to want to provide a length
that short.

Thanks.

OH...boating connection...with the genny, I'll be able to charge up boat
batteries even if the power company loses power... :)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

Electrical Advice... X ` Man General 70 October 7th 11 02:05 PM
Way OT, but needing some electrical advice Tim General 12 January 6th 10 01:03 AM
electrical generator - out of an electrical trolling motor??? Mic Electronics 12 May 10th 05 05:52 PM
Prop Size - Advice on Advice? Lloyd Sumpter General 8 December 31st 03 03:17 AM