Default Life in the boatyard...

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:03:30 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:16:14 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
While Lydia was visiting her mother, I took a couple of days to sort
through the thousand or so pix I've taken since the last sorting and
processing, have the bulk of them processed, and uploaded into my
gallery.

The refit proceeds; we'll start putting on the underwater portion of
the hull's final fairing level and longboarding (sanding with a
4.5"x48" flexible board, two people) that tomorrow.

http://justpickone.org/skip/gallery/...scaled_640.JPG

LOL! More blisters than bottom!!!! That Flying Pig boat sure wasn't
even worth all the effort, Skippy!!! You've ended up putting lots of
hours of work and lots of layers of materials on a foundation of MUSH.
Shoulda unloaded that boat on some unsuspecting soul and got yourself
one without blisters with the proceeds - or at least put a good down
payment on it. Something like a 38' Cabo Rico.

http://www.boatquest.com/Sail/CABO-R...D/1/boats.aspx

It's a crying shame to spend so much time, energy and dollars on an
old
POS Morgan. It was never intended to be a real cruising boat in the
first place. It was sold primarily as a dock object to entertain
guests.

Wilbur Hubbard

Much better to expend energy on a tiny Tupperware toy. Originally sold
as a plaything for the poor and disadvantaged.

Cheers,

Bruce

You've GOT to be kidding!! I bought a boat that has a hull that HAS NOT
ONE SINGLE SOLITARY BLISTER. The hull was laid up in 1971 and the entire
boat was commissioned in 1972. Count them, Dockbound Dweeb, forty years
of perfection. Forty years of fast, reliable, trouble-free sailing. Over
210,000 miles of reliability, at a purchase price of a mere 13 large. I
have kept "Cut the Mustard" in 'better than new' condition since 1985
when I purchased her from the original owner. Here are some recent
photos:

http://captainneal.wordpress.com/

The photo on top is OLD. The photos below are recent. Eat your
dock-licking heart out, Brucie Boi. You have NOTHING that can compare.
You FAILED in your circumnavigation attempt by half while I SUCCEEDED in
my coastal cruising lifestyle with 210,000 miles under the keel with
perhaps a paltry 1,000 of those miles motoring - the remainder under
sail.

YOU LOSE!

P.S. "Bruce" sure is a gay-sounding name. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Ah Willie, I went to the site you mentioned... All the photos were of
the topsides of a horrid little yellow boat.

I hate to be the one to tell you but a hull doesn't absorb much water
above the waterline. I'm amazed that a well rounded sailor like
yourself doesn't know that it is the under water portion that gets the
blisters.

Ah well, as I've often told you, opening your mouth simply proves what
most people already assume - that you are the biggest fool on rbc.

Cheers,

Bruce

wrote:

[...]

Willie boy, while you have an eloquent command of the English
language, your math really sucks.

210,000 miles since 1985 works out to 22 miles a day, each and every
day. You could make twice that in a daylight day with your vessel
given fair winds, but not much more, so you could travel every other
day.

You keep harping on being a "blue-water sailor" and owning a
"blue-water yacht", yet in your own words you are living "my coastal
cruising lifestyle".

Let's see, would 26 years of swinging at anchor while reading about
real cruisers add up to 210,000 miles of movement? And be defined as
"coastal cruising" since the boat is moving, albeit from side to side
and a bit of up and down?

Rick

wrote:

[...]

Lets see how many miles he can 'claim' swinging at anchor:-

Lets be as charitable as possible and assume he's anchored with a lot of
anchor cable out, somewhere where the tide 'circulates' at slack water
rather than simply reversing direction, so "Cut the Mustard" swings
round the full perimeter of the swinging circle on every tide.

If the radius of the swinging circle is 40 yards (not unreasonable for
50 yards of warp out with only a bit of chain on the end - and we know
he's an antisocial b*****d who doesn't encourage any neighbours to stick
around), the perimeter is just over 250 yards.

Assuming a semidiurnal tide, he swings through 1/4 NM in just over a day
(a lunar 'day' is approx 50 minutes more than the normal 24H solar one)
so each year he 'logs' 0.9664... * 365 * 1/4 or just over 88 NM!

In 26 years that is nearly 2300 NM. I reckon his swinging circle is a
little smaller and he's only added two extra zeros on the end of his
claimed 'mileage'! [lol]

Assuming he motors at 3 knots, he motors just under 13 hours a year,
which is probably about right if he has a diesel stove and has to go to
the fuel dock a couple of times a year to fill the tank - I cant imagine
any near-by fuel dock would welcome him . . . ;-)

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

"Bruce" wrote in message
snipped some

Ah Willie, I went to the site you mentioned... All the photos were of
the topsides of a horrid little yellow boat.

I hate to be the one to tell you but a hull doesn't absorb much water
above the waterline. I'm amazed that a well rounded sailor like
yourself doesn't know that it is the under water portion that gets the
blisters.

Ah well, as I've often told you, opening your mouth simply proves what
most people already assume - that you are the biggest fool on rbc.

Cut your ignorance quotient, please, Brucie Boi!

Check out the pristine bottom with NO BLISTERS. Smooth as a baby's
bottom. December 2010.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/11238469

http://www.badongo.com/pic/11238471

http://www.badongo.com/pic/11238475

The GRP bottom required NO nothing!!!! No fairing, no hours of washing
to get blister effluent dribbles off, no sealing, no scraping, no long
board sanding, no primer, nothing but the application of three gallons
of Petit Trinidad Pro. New, multi-colored boot stripe tape, however,
just to better accentuate her beauty. The lighter blue paint above the
rubbing strake is now a darker blue as seen in the topsides photos you
were so envious of: http://captainneal.wordpress.com/ The closer match
of colors better integrates the handsome color scheme of the whole boat.

The cast iron keel did have a few rusty areas. These needed to be
scraped, sanded, primed and covered with an epoxy coating prior to
laying on the five or six coats of bottom paint.

Eat your heart out!

Wilbur Hubbard