Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default An Interesting Day of Cruising anf Fishing

As some of you may remember, our trip north this year started out with
some fairly decent fishing. Coming up out of Florida we caught 4 Mahi
Mahis, 1 Tuna, and 1 Bonito. All decent fish, all good eating as
confirmed by our fillet, fry and release program. Then we hit a dry
spell and did not catch another fish until July when we caught a
decent sized blue fish in the islands south of Cape Cod. And then
another long dry spell even though quite a few serious attempts were
made in areas known for both blue fish and stripers, not even a
nibble.

Our luck changed today near Orient Point on the north eastern tip of
Long Island when we hooked up a 30 foot sailboat on two rods
simultaneously. The sailboat and I fought valiantly for several
minutes amidst some heated discourse by both boat owners but in the
end he broke off, taking about $30 worth of lures away with him.

It was some sort of omen of things to come however. Although
discouraged by the breakoff, and the "big one" getting away, I
immediately rerigged both rods and minutes later we had a strike from
a very feisty blue fish just south of Plum Gut. Unfortunately he was
a bit on the small side resulting in a donation to Davey Jones. Ten
minutes later we had another strong bite from a second blue fish.
This one got almost to the boat but gave one last minute jump and
flip which was successful in throwing the hook. Close but no cigar.

It looks like we'll be eating out tonight.