Default Yesterday...

"all my troubles seemed so far away..."

Yah, right...

Yesterday wasn't a good day for me...

It started with me on my back under the keel, sanding off the the shine on
the extra epoxy layer we'd put on under there, so it could take bottom
paint, before we got dropped back on the blocks (we'd been hung in the
slings over the weekend so we could add some fiberglass to the lower area of
the keel, which went very well). Very sore muscles from all the sanding
I've done, exacerbated, now, by the contortionist position I was in.
Then...

I discovered a couple of places on the leading edge of the keel, to which we
were about to add a couple of layers of fiberglass, which had to be ground
out to a degree which would require filling with more glass. Not a biggie,
but a nuisance, and a delay.

The day improved when Lydia started digging at an area under the entrance to
the forward head, where we'd done lots of leak remediation. Prior owners
had masked the problem with a sheet of melamine under the door - which when
opened up, showed lots of rot. Dug it out, and are considering how to
handle it short of dismantling the panels which hold both the saloon and
forward berth doors into that shower/head.

It had the icing on the cake when I put my new jug of Gatorade I'd mixed,
just before going to bed, into the freezer. It was just a LITTLE too tall,
making the latch not seat properly before my usual (double seals, so takes
some effort to make latch) forceful seating. Since the latch wasn't in the
receiver, that whack made it break out of the top of the lid. More
nuisance, made more so by the need to have the lid open while I redo
whatever damage has been done.

But wait...

All this physical work with the sander and grinder is taking a toll on this
66YO body, and by morning, I was having difficulty finding a comfortable
place to sleep, as my right shoulder hurts too much to lie on my right side,
my left shoulder hurts enough that I can't lie on IT very long, and, this
morning, my left hip woke me up.

Since I'm up, I might as well get to work!

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:09:51 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

[...]

Ibrofen is your friend. Take 400-500 mg. three times a day directly
after a meal and try to get the coated tablets that dissolve a bit
further down the digestive tract.

They can cause an upset stomach or bleeding - much like aspirin - but
they do reduce muscle pain dramatically.

By the way, 66 isn't old :-)
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

"Flying Pig" wrote in message

trim

But wait...

All this physical work with the sander and grinder is taking a toll on
this 66YO body, and by morning, I was having difficulty finding a
comfortable place to sleep, as my right shoulder hurts too much to lie on
my right side, my left shoulder hurts enough that I can't lie on IT very
long, and, this morning, my left hip woke me up.

You should get your lovely young wife to give you some massages before you
go to sleep. A good masseuse can do wonders for tired, aching muscles and
other things ;-)

I am certainly glad I'm not you. Why, these days it's all I can do to keep
from sweating halfway to death just laying around the boat reading with fans
blowing on me. I drank half a gallon of OJ yesterday afternoon and didn't
even have to **** any of it out. I'd hate to be outside doing hard physical
labor. That's one reason why I never understood why some people just have to
have way-big boats. The labor alone to upkeep them is just not something a
sane person would relish.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

Ibrofen is your friend.

Which is called, around the Port Townsend boatyard, as "Vitamin I", or
"boatworker popcorn"

Tom

comments on comments in the thread:

I take a mixture of ibuprofen and acetaminophen, when I get up, when I go to
bed, and in between. Beeing 200# I go by what used to be the prescription
dosage, 800mg for I, and whatever the same number of caplets, both coated,
works out to for A. Not good for long term, but not a problem for this
short period.

I drink a half gallon of gatorade, a liter of coffee, and 12oz of coke, plus
miscellaneous water, during the day. Urination isn't frequent, but it's not
the color of the old stop signs, either :{))

It was only the contortions under the boat which had me so sore - and,
today, after I did the glassing (chop, resin, and cabosil) of the divots I
took in the centerline of the keel, and a small spot on the rudder, then
sanded it ready for cloth, tomorrow, I went to a family friend's house, with
the pool.

I got a hydro-massage by putting my shoulders up to the vents. Perhaps
tonight I'll use the percussion massager we got several years ago - my tops
of my shoulders (I forget the name of that muscle which goes from the neck
to the arm) are sore, but the rest of me has recovered.

Fortunately, as Bruce pointed out, 66 isn't all THAT old, and, as a former
competitive rower (sliding seat, 1x sculls and 8+s) and water skier, my
shoulders are in decent shape so recover reasonably.

It was just the total irritation of the day which did me in :{))

So, tomorrow, we'll add glass to the leading edge of the keel to replace
what's been sanded off by many different prior owners' sanders, as well as
the "Mad Sander" who took off all the bottom paint, barrier coat, and a fair
amount of fiberglass, and finish up the trailing edge of the keel and the
top of the skeg's sharp corners (with biaxial, but without a mat back like
the 1708 we'll use on the leading edge, and did already on the straight
parts of the skeg and trailing edge of the keel). About 45SF in three
layers of biax, so we bought an additional gallon of resin and the
appropriate sized hardener for our West System epoxy we'll be using...

L8R

Skip, off to bed so we can start when the sun comes up. Gonna be a long day,
as we have to do it all in one go on the keel...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Yesterday at Eureka, CA Bill McKee General 1 October 24th 09 05:59 AM
Yesterday's Sail Capt. Rob ASA 49 November 5th 06 10:06 PM
Yesterday evening Shortwave Sportfishing General 0 July 17th 05 11:59 AM