Default Cannibal

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Don't people put their whole dinghy on
their boats?

Yeah, but they're heavy (or can be) and damn difficult to handle -
there's not a lot of room on most boats what with masts, shrouds, and
spinnaker poles. If you're only going a few miles, and the conditions
are OK then it's just easier to tow. I would never tow one far, there's
drag, wear and tear on both your boat and dink... I've heard of some
people towing to arrive at their destination and look to the dink and
find it not there!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:51:21 +0000, Justin C
wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Twart? Isn't that across something?

Don't people put their whole dinghy on
their boats?

Yeah, but they're heavy (or can be) and damn difficult to handle -
there's not a lot of room on most boats what with masts, shrouds, and
spinnaker poles. If you're only going a few miles, and the conditions
are OK then it's just easier to tow. I would never tow one far, there's
drag, wear and tear on both your boat and dink... I've heard of some
people towing to arrive at their destination and look to the dink and
find it not there!

Justin.

I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip
I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

They're called davits. And, they are not really called for on a smaller
sailboat. They are quite heavy and bulky for one (not to mention ugly) and
they cause the stern to squat which isn't a good thing.

The stainless steel tubing I constructed and installed is lightweight and
strong. It has the added advantage of being quick-pinned to the fastener
points so it can be raised up along the backstay if one so desires. My
little, 50-pound, fiberglass dinghy is easy enough to lift up and lay,
upside-down atop the carrier with gunwale right up against the backstay
where it can be safely lashed down.

The extra sixty pounds or so near the transom has little noticable effect on
the trim of the hull. These fools who advocate putting the dinghy
upside-down on deck don't understand how in-the-way the thing always is.
They just saw photos in magazines or heard tell of stowing the dinghy on
deck and it becomes a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. It's the same thing
with the rows of plastic fuel jugs along the twoXsix along the lifelines.
Monkey-see, monkey-do. Nothing uglifies a cruising boat as ugly blue or red
plastic jerry cans jury-rigged to the lifelines. Makes me want to puke every
time I see it.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:41:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip
I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

They're called davits. And, they are not really called for on a smaller
sailboat. They are quite heavy and bulky for one (not to mention ugly) and
they cause the stern to squat which isn't a good thing.

Ah.. thanks for the technical name.. I guess it would add a bunch of
weight. The engine on the Cat was basically underneath the stairway.
Dave (owner) said it was pretty much near the keel, but back a little
bit. I didn't notice any leaving back, but I wasn't really looking.

The stainless steel tubing I constructed and installed is lightweight and
strong. It has the added advantage of being quick-pinned to the fastener
points so it can be raised up along the backstay if one so desires. My
little, 50-pound, fiberglass dinghy is easy enough to lift up and lay,
upside-down atop the carrier with gunwale right up against the backstay
where it can be safely lashed down.

Did you do the welding? I've always wanted to take a welding class.
Seems like it would be fun to be able to attach two pieces of metal
whenever you want. I was also interested in the art aspect. I'm
betting I could get one of the commercial welders to give me a lesson,
but I'm always hesitant about work/fun mixes.

The extra sixty pounds or so near the transom has little noticable effect on
the trim of the hull. These fools who advocate putting the dinghy
upside-down on deck don't understand how in-the-way the thing always is.
They just saw photos in magazines or heard tell of stowing the dinghy on
deck and it becomes a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. It's the same thing
with the rows of plastic fuel jugs along the twoXsix along the lifelines.
Monkey-see, monkey-do. Nothing uglifies a cruising boat as ugly blue or red
plastic jerry cans jury-rigged to the lifelines. Makes me want to puke every
time I see it.

Why would you carry fuel on deck? Wouldn't it go in a tank that is
built into the boat (assuming you have an engine like that - like the
Cat). Even the little can that goes to an outboard would need to be
held somehow in case you lean over. You don't want it to go thrashing
around...

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Ah.. thanks for the technical name.. I guess it would add a bunch of
weight. The engine on the Cat was basically underneath the stairway.
Dave (owner) said it was pretty much near the keel, but back a little
bit. I didn't notice any leaving back, but I wasn't really looking.

Putting a heavy diesel low in the center of the boat is the best situation
with regards to the weight. It acts like ballast and stabilizes the boat.
Having too much weight on the ends of the boat causes it to pitch
excessively in certain condtions of wind and sea.

Did you do the welding? I've always wanted to take a welding class.
Seems like it would be fun to be able to attach two pieces of metal
whenever you want. I was also interested in the art aspect. I'm
betting I could get one of the commercial welders to give me a lesson,
but I'm always hesitant about work/fun mixes.

There was no welding required. Just bending and fitting the hardware. I can
weld steel but stainless steel is more of a challenge as one needs to use
some inert gas to make good welds. (TIG welding) Welding is a good skill to
learn. Did you ever see that movie, "Flashdance?" Now, there was one hot
welder. LOL!

snip
Why would you carry fuel on deck? Wouldn't it go in a tank that is
built into the boat (assuming you have an engine like that - like the
Cat). Even the little can that goes to an outboard would need to be
held somehow in case you lean over. You don't want it to go thrashing
around...

They carry extra fuel so they can increase their range and save money in
foreign ports where fuel might be much more expensive. They probably really
don't need the extra fuel but, since they've seen it done that way, they
think it's right and proper. There are so many people who are totally
unoriginal these days. They only feel comfortable following the crowd.
Monkey-see, monkey-do. These are the same type of people who will enter a
large anchorage where there is tons of space but they feel the need to
anchor right on top of me. I guess they think if another boat is anchored
there then THAT must be the best place to be. So clueless!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:30:15 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
snip

Ah.. thanks for the technical name.. I guess it would add a bunch of
weight. The engine on the Cat was basically underneath the stairway.
Dave (owner) said it was pretty much near the keel, but back a little
bit. I didn't notice any leaving back, but I wasn't really looking.

Putting a heavy diesel low in the center of the boat is the best situation
with regards to the weight. It acts like ballast and stabilizes the boat.
Having too much weight on the ends of the boat causes it to pitch
excessively in certain condtions of wind and sea.

But you have a small gas outboard right, so it wouldn't be more than
maybe half a normal person's weight...thus no big deal?

Did you do the welding? I've always wanted to take a welding class.
Seems like it would be fun to be able to attach two pieces of metal
whenever you want. I was also interested in the art aspect. I'm
betting I could get one of the commercial welders to give me a lesson,
but I'm always hesitant about work/fun mixes.

There was no welding required. Just bending and fitting the hardware. I can
weld steel but stainless steel is more of a challenge as one needs to use
some inert gas to make good welds. (TIG welding) Welding is a good skill to
learn. Did you ever see that movie, "Flashdance?" Now, there was one hot
welder. LOL!

Sure... Jennifer Beals (sp?) was hot in that, but she wasn't the
dancer. I should definitely take a class. I think I can get it paid
for through work, so why the heck not. There must be a CC around here
that offers it. I bet I'll be the only woman in the class... great
ratio!!

snip
[...]

Seems to me that the last thing you want to do is having fuel on the
deck. It could even be stolen if you leave the boat. I could see maybe
having some extra if you're crossing an ocean, but if you just stock
up on food and water, it seems like you could just wait it out if you
can't sail, right? All the big yachts must cost a bunch of money, so
they can't be hard up for money for fuel.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

But you have a small gas outboard right, so it wouldn't be more than
maybe half a normal person's weight...thus no big deal?

Exactly, You're so aware, girl. I recently downgraded to a smaller, lighter
motor. This new one only weight sixty pounds. Not really a detriment at all.

snip

There was no welding required. Just bending and fitting the hardware. I
can
weld steel but stainless steel is more of a challenge as one needs to use
some inert gas to make good welds. (TIG welding) Welding is a good skill
learn. Did you ever see that movie, "Flashdance?" Now, there was one hot
welder. LOL!

Sure... Jennifer Beals (sp?) was hot in that, but she wasn't the
dancer. I should definitely take a class. I think I can get it paid
for through work, so why the heck not. There must be a CC around here
that offers it. I bet I'll be the only woman in the class... great
ratio!!

I do recall reading she had a fill-in for some of the more extreme dance
scenes. You should take a welding class. And, as in inpector it would be a
good skill to have so you could more readily recognize bad welding. If they
pay for it, so much the better. Great ratio, indeed! But, in California, who
knows, the class might be full of lesbians.

Seems to me that the last thing you want to do is having fuel on the
deck. It could even be stolen if you leave the boat. I could see maybe
having some extra if you're crossing an ocean, but if you just stock
up on food and water, it seems like you could just wait it out if you
can't sail, right? All the big yachts must cost a bunch of money, so
they can't be hard up for money for fuel.

Seems dumb to me, too. You won't catch me doing it. The last time I sailed
to the Bahamas I stayed there six months and I had five gallons of gasoline
stashed in a cockpit locker and 3.5 gallons in the little fuel tank for the
outboard and I never bought any gas the whole time I was there. I sailed
most everywhere and only motored when I had to get in and out of windless or
headwind harbor entrances. A sailboat loaded with jerry cans on deck shouts
loudly - motorhead!

wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

Ok, but wouldn't it be more convenient to just keep them out of harms
way in the dinghy if you can?

A dinghy can flip, and an inflatable, in a strong breeze can become a
kite, then you lose everything that's in it, thwart and all.

Twart? Isn't that across something?

It's the seat you sit on when you're rowing, or (probably) any other
seat athwart (across) the boat.

I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

Davits. Little cranes that lift the boat out of the water. Apparently
good for deterring dinghy theft. I don't like 'em, I think they ruin the
look of a nice boat. I'd be worried in heavy weather, with following,
breaking seas that a wave would take away the dinghy or take away the
dinghy and davits or take the dinghy and *one* davit and I've have the
whole kit and caboodle fixed to my boat by the other davit and surfing
down a wave *into* the back of my boat or wrap around my rudder, or,
most drastic, both davits and the dingy go and I get left with huge
holes in the back of my boat! Nope, don't like em!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

wrote:

In article , Jessica B wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Davits on the stern, unless the boat is 40-feet or more is just too
much. They are heavy, unsightly and dangerous. Considering the size and
weight of most inflatables or rowing dinghies these days it's easy to have
two or three hundred pounds hanging right off the transom - the very worst
place for the weight.

Wilbur Hubbard