Default Scenic overload

I've realized one of my problems with cruising (or any long vacation)
is I reach "scenic overload" where pretty things become mundane, "just
another beautiful vista". My mind can hold only so many of these
before I have to go home and recharge my desire for more. Anybody
else have this issue?

Frogwatch wrote:
I've realized one of my problems with cruising (or any long vacation)
is I reach "scenic overload" where pretty things become mundane, "just
another beautiful vista". My mind can hold only so many of these
before I have to go home and recharge my desire for more. Anybody
else have this issue?

Alternate by also looking at some ugly scenes......

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
I've realized one of my problems with cruising (or any long vacation)
is I reach "scenic overload" where pretty things become mundane, "just
another beautiful vista". My mind can hold only so many of these
before I have to go home and recharge my desire for more. Anybody
else have this issue?

I don't have that problem. The reason being: there are way too many totally
ugly and ineptly-sailed boats in sight daily that it wants to make be barf
because they are so cluttered and lubberly maintained. Here is one good
example of which I speak.

http://islandtimepc.com/sitebuilderc...G.w300h410.jpg

But, to be fair, Flying Pig does have one quite comely attribute: She's on
the right:

http://islandtimepc.com/sitebuilderc...Lydia-Skip.jpg

I just have to wonder what the world's come to when a desirable woman like
that puts herself in such slovenly circumstances? If she would sail with me,
I would be happy to teach her what higher standards are all about.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:54:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

That looks like a bigger boat that what you have. Does that make a
difference, as far as comfort goes? I guess it depends on how far you
go. We're finally starting to get some warmer weather out here and
hardly any fog, but it's still pretty cold at night. I have to take
some vacation time in warm weather, including at night!
--

47 is special

wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Does bigger necessarily mean better? Now, I realize that's a loaded question
to ask a woman LOL because I know where a woman's mind is much of the time
(especially prime-of-life, single, adventurous, 47-year-olds) but really!

What is with this bigger is better crap when it comes to a sailboat? Bigger
usually only means a bigger headache, bigger problems, bigger expense,
bigger aggravation, bigger nuisance, smaller cruising opportunities. People
who own big (over thirty-two feet) sailboats spend the majority of their
time working on them, fixing worn and broken parts and systems, etc. Those
of us who don't have eyes bigger than our stomachs are attracted to the
beauty and functionality of 'the right size'.

Most women understand that 'the right size' is better than bigger. And, the
right size used skillfully will bring more enjoyment than some large, poorly
maintained and less than skillfully wielded instrument. Now, while a
27-footer is on the small size for a cruising couple, it can be very
suitable for that compatible couple who don't get on each other's nerves.
Smaller spaces are more conducive to enjoying a secure feeling and a safe
environment. Smaller spaces allow one to enjoy the larger spaces outside by
virtue of reduced maintenance requirements. Shallower draft allows greater
freedom to sail shallow areas where more of that outside space is private.
Who needs the inconsiderate crowds of the 'bigger is better' sycophants?

Me, I'd take a comely, compatible lass (5'4" or so, slim and fit) in a small
boat over some greedy harridan in a huge luxury yacht any time. A high
maintenance large yacht AND a high maintenance, trophy woman is a recipe for
a very unfulfilling life.

Just had another cold front blow through last night. Was 50 degrees outside
this morning. It's warmed up to 67 degrees now with sunny skies. Wind has
come down to 10-15 knots now as opposed to 25-35 knots last night. But, last
night was a great night to snuggle in the v-berth with that somebody special
who could cook a good breakfast in the morning.

Wilbur Hubbard

In article s.com,
llid says...

wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

Based on my experience with cruising sailboats from 24' to 35', there
isn't all that much difference in the required systems. At each end
of the range, you need one engine, one stove, one depth sounder and
one head. You also need two or three sails and an effective reefing
system. Perhaps I'm biased because my experience with the 35' end
of the range is with charter boats, where the KISS principle seems
well entrenched. The 35' sailboats I've chartered weren't burdened
with electric heads, microwave ovens, televisions, air conditioning,
radars, etc. etc.

I bought a 24' fiberglass cruising boat in 1974, and spent a whole
summer working on it and cruising. I don't think my ratio of work
to cruise would have changed had the boat grown by 8 feet. What happens
with larger boats is that the owners generally have more money to
add gadgets. It's not the size of the boat that is the problem, it's
the depth of the wallet! That wallet would have limited me just as
much had my boat magically grown by 8 feet.

The same thing happens with houses----the bigger the house, the more
space you have to accumulate junk.

SNIP non-boating content

Just had another cold front blow through last night. Was 50 degrees outside
this morning. It's warmed up to 67 degrees now with sunny skies. Wind has
come down to 10-15 knots now as opposed to 25-35 knots last night. But, last
night was a great night to snuggle in the v-berth with that somebody special
who could cook a good breakfast in the morning.

Mark Borgerson

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:14:45 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

You're totally right. Bigger isn't better... well... never mind. lol

When I get to the ripe old age of 47, I'm sure I'll know this. Are you
with someone who's 47? That part was a little confusing.

What is with this bigger is better crap when it comes to a sailboat? Bigger
usually only means a bigger headache, bigger problems, bigger expense,
bigger aggravation, bigger nuisance, smaller cruising opportunities. People
who own big (over thirty-two feet) sailboats spend the majority of their
time working on them, fixing worn and broken parts and systems, etc. Those
of us who don't have eyes bigger than our stomachs are attracted to the
beauty and functionality of 'the right size'.

Definitely... the right size is important and cozy. I was thinking
that it would really limit where you can go, so I looked up the depths
of the nice places in Florida... they're all really shallow areas.

Most women understand that 'the right size' is better than bigger. And, the
right size used skillfully will bring more enjoyment than some large, poorly
maintained and less than skillfully wielded instrument. Now, while a
27-footer is on the small size for a cruising couple, it can be very
suitable for that compatible couple who don't get on each other's nerves.
Smaller spaces are more conducive to enjoying a secure feeling and a safe
environment. Smaller spaces allow one to enjoy the larger spaces outside by
virtue of reduced maintenance requirements. Shallower draft allows greater
freedom to sail shallow areas where more of that outside space is private.
Who needs the inconsiderate crowds of the 'bigger is better' sycophants?

I have a little apartment. It's maybe 1000 sq. ft. Two bedrooms so I
can have a computer office. It's plenty big. I don't have a lot of
stuff... never saw the need. I mean you just have to keep track of all
the stuff, dust it, clean it. Forget it!

You definitely have to get along with the other person. I know some
people and all they do is bicker. What's the point? Why are they even
together? Sometimes silence really IS golden.

Me, I'd take a comely, compatible lass (5'4" or so, slim and fit) in a small
boat over some greedy harridan in a huge luxury yacht any time. A high
maintenance large yacht AND a high maintenance, trophy woman is a recipe for
a very unfulfilling life.

My minimum requirements for a guy include healthy and fit. I can't
stand those muscle boys either. That's all they do is maintain their
muscles. I do a lot of bicycle riding, but I don't call myself a
cyclists... don't have all the fancy clothing, just some tights and a
helmet (for a crazy drivers).

Just had another cold front blow through last night. Was 50 degrees outside
this morning. It's warmed up to 67 degrees now with sunny skies. Wind has
come down to 10-15 knots now as opposed to 25-35 knots last night. But, last
night was a great night to snuggle in the v-berth with that somebody special
who could cook a good breakfast in the morning.

I like weather 75 to about 90 during the day. Cooling off in the
evening is ok, but I like to take dips in the dark (is that actually
safe down your way?).

Ok, so a dumb question... if there are two people in a V berth, the
people have their heads on the wide part of the V right? Seems like
that would give you room to move around and also keep the other
person's feet warm if necessary. I can have cold feet and wear socks.
:-)

Breakfast... yeah! Does a boat your size have an oven top? I make a
mean omelet. I hope you're not a health nut when it comes to
ingredients. Sometimes sausage is appropriate. (Please no "jokes")
--

47 is special

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 14:14:45 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

You are so kool, Jessica. Tell me you aren't just some troll.

When I get to the ripe old age of 47, I'm sure I'll know this. Are you
with someone who's 47? That part was a little confusing.

47 is special

I had assumed you were 47 because of your sig. So what is the 47 referring
to?

What is with this bigger is better crap when it comes to a sailboat?
Bigger
usually only means a bigger headache, bigger problems, bigger expense,
bigger aggravation, bigger nuisance, smaller cruising opportunities.
People
who own big (over thirty-two feet) sailboats spend the majority of their
time working on them, fixing worn and broken parts and systems, etc. Those
of us who don't have eyes bigger than our stomachs are attracted to the
beauty and functionality of 'the right size'.

Definitely... the right size is important and cozy. I was thinking
that it would really limit where you can go, so I looked up the depths
of the nice places in Florida... they're all really shallow areas.

Indeed! The bigger boats lose out because of their extreme draft.

[...]

Wonderful attitude. You'd make some sailor an excellent mate.

You definitely have to get along with the other person. I know some
people and all they do is bicker. What's the point? Why are they even
together? Sometimes silence really IS golden.

Agreed 100%. Oftentimes a bunch of constant jabbering is a sign of
insecurity and weakness. Myself, I am the strong silent type.

Me, I'd take a comely, compatible lass (5'4" or so, slim and fit) in a
small
boat over some greedy harridan in a huge luxury yacht any time. A high
maintenance large yacht AND a high maintenance, trophy woman is a recipe
for
a very unfulfilling life.

My minimum requirements for a guy include healthy and fit. I can't
stand those muscle boys either. That's all they do is maintain their
muscles. I do a lot of bicycle riding, but I don't call myself a
cyclists... don't have all the fancy clothing, just some tights and a
helmet (for a crazy drivers).

That's me - healthy and fit. I keep fit racing my time trials bike. My best
10K time is 22m,42sec. Keep riding bicycles as nothing makes a woman's legs
and bottom look better. Definitely smart wearing a helmet as motorists have
no clue. Tights are good especially if they have the pad for the seat sewed
in. A good jersey is important, too. If you fall you need the scrape
protection on your shoulders especially.

Just had another cold front blow through last night. Was 50 degrees
outside
this morning. It's warmed up to 67 degrees now with sunny skies. Wind has
come down to 10-15 knots now as opposed to 25-35 knots last night. But,
last
night was a great night to snuggle in the v-berth with that somebody
special
who could cook a good breakfast in the morning.

I like weather 75 to about 90 during the day. Cooling off in the
evening is ok, but I like to take dips in the dark (is that actually
safe down your way?).

Wow, you sound just perfect. Where I am there aren't any sharks except for
a nurse shark or two and they are timid. Unless you happen to step on one
they don't bother you. They are bottom feeders and mostly just lay around on
the bottom.

Ok, so a dumb question... if there are two people in a V berth, the
people have their heads on the wide part of the V right? Seems like
that would give you room to move around and also keep the other
person's feet warm if necessary. I can have cold feet and wear socks.
:-)

Most women have cold feet. LOL! The v-berth is great for sleeping but not
so good for sex as there isn't a whole lot of room to spread one's legs.
Thats' why a 5'4" woman is the perfect size for 5'10" man and a 6"4" v-berth
because her feet don't go down far enough to get into the smaller angle at
the point where the man's feet end up.

Breakfast... yeah! Does a boat your size have an oven top? I make a
mean omelet. I hope you're not a health nut when it comes to
ingredients. Sometimes sausage is appropriate. (Please no "jokes")

My little galley has a two-burner stove top but no oven. Mean omlettes are
most excellent for breakfast. When it comes to food, I eat just about
anything. Not the least bit particular. Onions, garlic, green peppers,
cheese in omlettes are all very tastey. I love a good cup of espresso in the
morning with creamer and honey.

Wilbur Hubbard

http://islandtimepc.com/sitebuilderc...ictures/.pond/...

http://islandtimepc.com/sitebuilderc...ictures/Lydia-...

I just have to wonder what the world's come to when a desirable woman like
that puts herself in such slovenly circumstances? If she would sail with me,
I would be happy to teach her what higher standards are all about.

==============

I've been aboard the Flying Pig several times and it is a pretty good
boat for the kind of liveaboard cruising that they are doing. It
would be easy to argue little nits here and there but that's mostly a
matter of personal taste. By the way, Lydia seems perfectly happy
with Skip, the FP, and the life style.

wrote:
"Frogwatch" wrote in message

[...]

Pssst! Don't tell Skippy but I think he's an OK kind of d00d. I just like
to rag his crotch from time to time. LOL! (And, Lydia seems to be quite a
catch - for a geezer like Skippy)

Wilbur Hubbard