Default where next

With my 28' sailboat in Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas, the next logical
place to go seems to be Spanish Wells in the Eleuthras, a distance of
about 65 miles over open water. This is just a matter of awaiting a
good weather window.
How about Naussau? Any good reason to go there?
Eventually, I'd like to end up in Georgetown and have her hauled out
for hurricane season. Between now and June, I can probably get a
total of about 3 weeks of sailing in two trips.
Does anybody know anything about the northern channel into Spanish
Wells? Cruising guide says to be very careful about it.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 08:26:46 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

With my 28' sailboat in Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas, the next logical
place to go seems to be Spanish Wells in the Eleuthras, a distance of
about 65 miles over open water. This is just a matter of awaiting a
good weather window.
How about Naussau? Any good reason to go there?
Eventually, I'd like to end up in Georgetown and have her hauled out
for hurricane season. Between now and June, I can probably get a
total of about 3 weeks of sailing in two trips.
Does anybody know anything about the northern channel into Spanish
Wells? Cruising guide says to be very careful about it.

The cruising guide is right although locals use it all the time. The
channel is more dangerous heading south in my opinion because you
don't know what you are getting in to. For a first trip, especially
if there are heavy winds or swells, I'd recommend coming in from the
west, passing south of Egg Island. Royal Island Harbour makes a good
overnight if you arriving late in the day. Spanish Wells is an
interesting town but absolutely the "must do" activity is to follow
the Devil's Backbone over to Harbour Island. That will also allow you
to scout the northern approach along the way if you are still
interested. There is an unlit steel marker at the south end of the
channel. It will also take you right by Preacher's Cave on North
Eleuthera. If you look closely you can spot the trail leading back
through the beach grass. I assume you have the Explorer chart books?
The way points for Devil's Backbone are quite accurate if you follow
closely.

Be aware that the inlet at Little Harbor up on Great Abaco Island can
be very dicey in rough weather.

wrote:
[...]

Actually, my chart books only cover the northern Bahamas so I need to
get new charts. What chart books and guides do you like for this
area?

wrote:
[...]

====

You could probably get by with just the Explorer chart books that
cover Eleuthera and the one for the Exumas.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/60035.html

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-60033.html

They are the bare minimum that everyone must have. In addition I'd
also recommend Pavlidis:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-bi060.html

and maybe Van Sant:

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/-bi001.html

All of these are usually available less expensively from Amazon.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
With my 28' sailboat in Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas, the next logical
place to go seems to be Spanish Wells in the Eleuthras, a distance of
about 65 miles over open water. This is just a matter of awaiting a
good weather window.
How about Naussau? Any good reason to go there?
Eventually, I'd like to end up in Georgetown and have her hauled out
for hurricane season. Between now and June, I can probably get a
total of about 3 weeks of sailing in two trips.
Does anybody know anything about the northern channel into Spanish
Wells? Cruising guide says to be very careful about it.

Nassau sucks. Your boat will probably be robbed if you leave it there alone
and spend any time ashore. Too many scumbags hang out in the harbor there.

Spanish Wells is a good option. You have a deep water crossing and you must
cross the outlying reef but if you do it when the sun is high the visibility
is good through the channel and you should have no trouble getting in.
Explorer Charts are good ones to use for navigation.

Wilbur Hubbard