Default Attention all sailboats in the Key Largo area.

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Ah, Wilbur...

Too bad we're in the Bahamas (where we have similar conditions forecast
other than the 75ish water).

However, if we get to the states early enough, we'll have to dawdle our
way north, and we'll be sure to make KL one of our stops...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, doing boat chores as usual before going off to volleyball
for my exercise

Exercise my arse. You just want to oggle the bikini babes.

(Sure hope Skippy hasn't come to grief. Haven't seen a post from him for
several weeks.)

Wilbur Hubbard

Default Oh well.

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 15:36:57 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 13:37:59 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
m...
snip
I don't think Yuengling is available out here. Whenever I go to a
party, it's always wine, wine, wine. Never a beer or a decent one
anyway.

Sounds like pretentious, Yuppieville, California. LOL!

You're damn right! I hate it here... a bunch of preppy little boyz and
girlz. I live in the pretentious capital of the Cal... the People's
Republic of Santa Monica. The only two things that are any good are
the beach and the cheap rent.

I never even heard of Yuengling before last month. The supermarkets just
started stocking it. I've noticed the local supermarkets now have a
large
stand-up cooler aisle for all sorts of micro-brewery beers. There is a
great
variety to try. Samuel Adams has many a good custom brew, too. But,
there's
just something about Yuengling Standard Lager that suits my taste in
beer.
It even puts Kalick to shame.

80... sigh.. I hate cold weather! I think I need a warm vacation, but
work is work.

To heck with the work! I retired when I was fifty-five and have never
regretted it. People shouldn't work the best years of their life away
and
retire only after their bodies are slap worn out so they have trouble
enjoying life and/or getting around. Few things are more pitiful than a
half-blind and crippled sailor.

I work to live not live to work... a nice, easy job.. no stress and I
get out of the office regularly.

Do you think you'll get wind for sailing when the cold front arrives
or will it be too much? Not really familiar with the weather down
there.. all we have here is fog... endlessly I think.

San Francisco? Anyway, when cold fronts pass the wind is usually quite
brisk gusting up to about 40 knots so it's best to wait until the front
passes and the winds veer from the NW and N to the NE. Once the wind is
from
the NE it steadies out to around 20 knots and the sailing is fine. Also,
NE
winds herald a warming trend as they roll across the warmer Gulf Stream
and
carry warmer air across the Keys.

God no! I couldn't live in that f*cked up place. Besides, that's
really cold. What size is your sailboat?

27-foot Coronado.

Here is a photo I took when I had her hauled and painted the bottom last
month.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/11238469?size=original

A lot of people here are jealous of my fine little yacht.

Wilbur Hubbard

Sharp! It looks like it's brand new. You must be meticulous in your
care. I confess that I don't know much about sailboats, but I do know
about neat and tidy (and warm weather!).

I must have missed this post in the shuffle. Thanks for the good words,
Jessica. It's refreshing after the constant jealousy-related put downs some
of the pretend sailors in the group seem overly fond of dishing out.

Neat and tidy is important in a sailboat as cluttered and untidy results in
accidents and equipment failures. What many people seem to forget is that
"first she's a sailboat." In other words, first things first and don't
install or change anything that reduces the efficiency of the sailing
machine. And, spend the majority of time on the boat as a sailing system
than anything else.

This is the problem I have with people like Joe. He was constantly modifying
his erstwhile motorsailer, "Red Cloud." He had her looking "real purty" from
a cosmetic standpoint, at least but, unfortunately, he spent the majority of
his time trying to make RC into a floating apartment with all the shoreside
amenities so he could satisfy his wife's domestic urges. In doing so, he
ignored the important things like making sure his rudder was up to the task
on an ocean voyage. Because of his poorly engineered rudder and his not
paying attention to it and not modifying it to cope with normal ocean voyage
conditions, it failed catastrophically and punched a hole or holes in his
transom. Now, wouldn't his time have been better spent not worrying about
the shower, mirrors, vanity and hair drier, etc. for his wife and taking
care of important ships systems? No man compromises the integrity of the
ship in order to appeal to the distaff side.

The bottom line is a sailing yacht will always be a compromise but one
should always compromise greatly on the "all the comforts of home" than on
the ship's systems side. The functionality and safety of the ship always
takes precedence over crew comfort. This is what wannabes like Joe, Bruce
and Skippy can't seem to get through their highly-domesticated skulls.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:29:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snipped a bunch

Sharp! It looks like it's brand new. You must be meticulous in your
care. I confess that I don't know much about sailboats, but I do know
about neat and tidy (and warm weather!).

I must have missed this post in the shuffle. Thanks for the good words,
Jessica. It's refreshing after the constant jealousy-related put downs some
of the pretend sailors in the group seem overly fond of dishing out.

Neat and tidy is important in a sailboat as cluttered and untidy results in
accidents and equipment failures. What many people seem to forget is that
"first she's a sailboat." In other words, first things first and don't
install or change anything that reduces the efficiency of the sailing
machine. And, spend the majority of time on the boat as a sailing system
than anything else.

Yes this is certainly true. One thing we're constantly reminded about
is to be aware of the general condition of a job site. It's a clue
about what you'll find when you start really looking. Our first
priority as inspectors is for personal safety. I have my PPE kit with
me at all times. I don't go into areas that look messy, e.g., piping
laying around. Again, I don't do much commercial these days, and we
tend to give resid. consumers a break, but commercial sites have been
cited for stuff strewn about.

I keep reminding myself that boats are female! So, we have to be
handled surely but gently. We're a bit fickle but if we're treated
right, we have great moves!

[...]

Well, I'm certainly not into the "comforts of home" too much. I'm not
spartan, but I don't have an apartment filled with stuffed animals
either!

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:11:53 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Ah, Wilbur...

Too bad we're in the Bahamas (where we have similar conditions forecast
other than the 75ish water).

However, if we get to the states early enough, we'll have to dawdle our
way north, and we'll be sure to make KL one of our stops...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, doing boat chores as usual before going off to volleyball
for my exercise

Exercise my arse. You just want to oggle the bikini babes.

Hey, don't knock the bikini! :-) Looking is fine, as long as he keeps
his hands to himself!

Since you mentioned it, I just found this one of me from six? years
ago. Nothing like the beach...

http://stashbox.org/1061492/jb2.jpg

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:29:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snipped a bunch

[...]

Sounds like fun!

We're a bit fickle but if we're treated
right, we have great moves!

And most of you can dance well. That clueless Bruce (stuck at the Bangkock
dock) didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I refered to a
sailboat as an 'interface dancer.' Duh. Like having the hull in the water
and the sails in the air and working the interface between water and air -
and dancing the interface if treated right - with great moves. Heck, you
haven't had much sailing experience at all and you already know more than
Bruce seems to know about it.

snippage

Well, I'm certainly not into the "comforts of home" too much. I'm not
spartan, but I don't have an apartment filled with stuffed animals
either!

The comforts of home are OK - AT HOME! However, even at home too much
clutter is just a big pain in the neck. How much crap does a body need
anyway. Pretty soon if you have too many things the things own you and not
the other way around like it's supposed to be. But on a sailboat one should
expect to rough it a little. The same goes for camping. Some people call
driving around in large, comfy RVs camping. What a joke! Camping is supposed
to be a little primitive so you can enjoy nature without all the
distractions. Same goes for sailing. You can have comforts in a small boat
but they should never get in the way of the true function of the machine
which is to sail and to survive the elements and keep the occupants safe and
relatively comfortable. Those who try to turn their boats into a big
floating condo are missing the point.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
Ah, Wilbur...

Too bad we're in the Bahamas (where we have similar conditions forecast
other than the 75ish water).

However, if we get to the states early enough, we'll have to dawdle our
way north, and we'll be sure to make KL one of our stops...

L8R

Skip and Lydia, doing boat chores as usual before going off to
volleyball
for my exercise

Exercise my arse. You just want to oggle the bikini babes.

Hey, don't knock the bikini! :-) Looking is fine, as long as he keeps
his hands to himself!

Skippy had better NOT stray. Lydia would make his life a living hell. LOL!

Since you mentioned it, I just found this one of me from six? years
ago. Nothing like the beach...

http://stashbox.org/1061492/jb2.jpg

Wow! Thanks for that. What a little cutie! A definite TEN. Six years ago,
you must have been WHAT? about 19?

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:25:12 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 09:29:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snipped a bunch

[...]

Sure... I know how to dance... that's like required or something.
Sounds very mystical and zen-like. I'd imagine that there's no
distinct boundry between the water and air, especially when the boat
is really moving and kicking up some spray.

snippage

[...]

There's this place where the family goes sort of near Yosemite, but
not in a national park. You drive as far as the dirt road goes, then
hike the rest of the way... about 2 miles. You have to carry food and
sleeping bags, but some things are just hidden.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:31:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

Nah.. 9.9, but only on a bad day!

That would be in my mid (to late) 20s. \')

Ok, give it up... how old are you?

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:31:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Wow! Thanks for that. What a little cutie! A definite TEN. Six years ago,
you must have been WHAT? about 19?

Nah.. 9.9, but only on a bad day!

That would be in my mid (to late) 20s. \')

Ok, give it up... how old are you?

Early sixties. And you seem to be in your early thirties but you look
younger than that. Call me 'grandpa'. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 16:10:29 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:31:38 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Wow! Thanks for that. What a little cutie! A definite TEN. Six years ago,
you must have been WHAT? about 19?

Nah.. 9.9, but only on a bad day!

That would be in my mid (to late) 20s. \')

Ok, give it up... how old are you?

Early sixties. And you seem to be in your early thirties but you look
younger than that. Call me 'grandpa'. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Early to mid-30s. :-}

Well, you're not that old... probably a heck of lot more polite and
respectful than some of the man/boy drones you find in bars. All they
(and the ones lifting weights on the beach - yeah, I like to watch)
want to do is get drunk and then try and get laid or they're so into
their muscles, they don't have time for anyone or anything else. It's
a jungle out there!

How about Pops? (kidding) I bet you have a few good years left!
(whoa... that sounded harsh I think).

Hey, I went out with someone last year who was 51. He's a nice guy...
I just don't want kids, so we didn't last. Still friends though. He's
marrying someone in her late-30s.

I'm fine as long as my brother stops "fixing me up" with one of his
friends. It's too weird. I would rather be independent.