Default Fired up the Tohatsu SailPro

I fired up my Tohatsu SailPro a little while ago just to exercise it before
going for a sail tomorrow. (Winds predicted to be 10-15 knots with afternoon
temps close to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature around 60 degrees
Fahrenheit. Jealous?

After sitting for three weeks, the SailPro started on the very first pull.

What I do that helps is when shutting the engine down I disconnect the fuel
line and let it idle and from time to time I push in the Schrader valve in
the fuel intake fitting so all the gasoline in the fuel lines proceeds to
the float bowl in the carburetor so when the motor finally dies after
several minutes there is no gasoline remaining to sour and turn into shellac
and clog the jets.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
I fired up my Tohatsu SailPro a little while ago just to exercise it before
going for a sail tomorrow. (Winds predicted to be 10-15 knots with afternoon
temps close to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature around 60 degrees
Fahrenheit. Jealous?

After sitting for three weeks, the SailPro started on the very first pull.

What I do that helps is when shutting the engine down I disconnect the fuel
line and let it idle and from time to time I push in the Schrader valve in
the fuel intake fitting so all the gasoline in the fuel lines proceeds to
the float bowl in the carburetor so when the motor finally dies after
several minutes there is no gasoline remaining to sour and turn into shellac
and clog the jets.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

Wilbur Hubbard

Add a fuel preservative anyway, Wilbur.

We just don't burn enough gas fast enough for it to stay fresh in the tank.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

On 1/2/2011 3:13 PM, Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
I fired up my Tohatsu SailPro a little while ago just to exercise it before
going for a sail tomorrow. (Winds predicted to be 10-15 knots with afternoon
temps close to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature around 60 degrees
Fahrenheit. Jealous?

After sitting for three weeks, the SailPro started on the very first pull.

What I do that helps is when shutting the engine down I disconnect the fuel
line and let it idle and from time to time I push in the Schrader valve in
the fuel intake fitting so all the gasoline in the fuel lines proceeds to
the float bowl in the carburetor so when the motor finally dies after
several minutes there is no gasoline remaining to sour and turn into shellac
and clog the jets.

A word to the wise is sufficient.

So fuel doesn't turn in the tank - only the float bowl?

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
[...]

When the dregs begin to smell rancid in the tank, I usually just dump it
overboard and refill it with fresh fuel. Gasoline hardly even makes a sheen
and it evaporates in about ten minutes. Gasoline can't turn rancid in the
carburetor if one runs the motor until the float bowl is empty. Either that
or hand-drain the float bowl.

--
Gregory Hall

Supercollider fired up, DJIA drops 300! redbard ASA 1 September 11th 08 10:06 AM
Fired up Cruis'n Rulz! today JR North General 1 February 8th 05 12:18 PM
Another Famous Idiot Fired Joe ASA 9 July 21st 04 09:24 AM
Brad Walker Fired!!!!! BigIrishDick4U Power Boat Racing 0 July 17th 03 12:10 PM