Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default The Ultimate Alternator Project

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:21:39 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Nice pix.

I'd be worried, however, about all the washers for depth. Not possible to
build in a bend to the tightening arm to bring it flush to the alternator?

It's possible but I'd need to disassemble part of the heat exchanger
to remove the adjusment arm, bend it and reinstall. What I've done
since the pictures were taken is to replace the washer stack with a
solid steel spacer. I've also replaced the original bolt with one
that is longer so that it now projects all the way through the
adjusment tab on the alternator, backed up by a grade 8 steel washer,
lock washer and nut. The whole assembly is extremely rigid with no
hint of vibration or flexing.