Default Skippy's in Good Company.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-aground.html

Wilbur Hubbard

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:00:43 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-aground.html

Wilbur, I hope you're not going to tell us that you have never run
aground.

How embarassing (and probably career ending) for the sub commander.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Just today, I ran aground next to Man'O'War Cay. Well, technically, Lydia
did, as I was on the front looking for sharp stuff in case it wasn't all
sand.

Further, once there, I instructed her to apply power to put us further
aground. Then I got in the dinghy and took the anchor far enough forward
that it would hold us there, not even bothering to kedge us off.

That's cuz we scrubbed the bottom - every inch of it. Just as I finished,
the boat started bumping with the incoming tide. Knowing that I had very
little scope out, and before we could come very much further into the
shallows, I retrieved the anchor, which, courtesy of the short scope
(despite my making sure it was properly set in the event we elected to fall
back for the evening if we hadn't finished), came up after pulling us
forward a bit.

Then we sailed off under bare poles to a nearby anchorage, using our
momentum to turn upwind in about 15' of water where, due to the brisk
breeze, we not only easily set the hook (about 15 times, as I let it out
that many times, catching and recentering Flying Pig, before doing it again
until I had 150 feet out - in the water, that is -allowiing for the
remainder of the tide and our bow rise), but we're far enough from shore to
let the skeeters not get a foothold as they fly along in the breeze.

Great day, but my shoulders are pretty tired from wielding the long-handled
brush, followed by the scraper for the intractable parts.

Off to read for a while - no movie tonight!

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that's
the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

anews.com...

Skippy repower Gordon Cruising 0 July 24th 10 12:18 AM
How a company SHOULD treat paying customers. Skippy's injector debacle. Wilbur Hubbard Cruising 1 May 3rd 10 12:34 PM
Just for Skippy Gregory Hall Cruising 1 September 18th 08 11:41 PM
In Good Company! Capt. Rob ASA 0 January 5th 06 12:10 PM
Jonathan, you're in good company Donal ASA 36 April 30th 04 01:54 AM