Default Where to go next?

My 28' sailboat is out of the water near Freeport till October while I
wait for slightly cooler weather. I did not get to the Abacos. Now,
I am wondering where to cruise to next. I'd sort of like to slowly
wander down the islands toward Turks and Caicos with no time in mind.
I'd really like to see some islands with some vertical relief. I have
read of caves (my other obsession) in the Abacos so that is a
possibility. OTOH, I'd like to head down the Berry Is toward Naussau
as well and then onward. With prevailing winds from SE, sailign
anywhere except back to Fl or back to West End and then up around to
the Abacos is difficult but I would like to do SOME sailing. I will
prob keep my boat in the Bahamas for a year or more.
Any ideas on where to go? I've found I have a lot more fun talking to
odd people I meet than sailing.

See my log postings - and I'm not finished yet - on the Bahamas. You
could
spend your life here...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 17:59:08 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is out of the water near Freeport till October while I
wait for slightly cooler weather. I did not get to the Abacos. Now,
I am wondering where to cruise to next. I'd sort of like to slowly
wander down the islands toward Turks and Caicos with no time in mind.
I'd really like to see some islands with some vertical relief. I have
read of caves (my other obsession) in the Abacos so that is a
possibility. OTOH, I'd like to head down the Berry Is toward Naussau
as well and then onward. With prevailing winds from SE, sailign
anywhere except back to Fl or back to West End and then up around to
the Abacos is difficult but I would like to do SOME sailing. I will
prob keep my boat in the Bahamas for a year or more.
Any ideas on where to go? I've found I have a lot more fun talking to
odd people I meet than sailing.

By all means do the Abacos first. Start at the top with Walkers Cay,
Grand Cay, Double Breasted Cay and keeping working south to Marsh
Harbour, Hopetown and Little Harbor. It's a great trip and will keep
you busy for a while.

After that, head for Spanish Wells, Nassau and the Exumas. That's
another big adventure with a *lot* to see along the way.

Next stop should be Eleuthera and Cat Island, followed by George Town,
Long Island, the Raggeds and Jumentos. We just came up through the
Raggeds and Jumentos. They are beautiful, remote and almost totally
deserted.

If you want vertical structure on any kind of large scale, you have to
go all the way south to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, USVI,
BVI, etc. We're on our way back from all of that and it is
spectacular but also challenging for a number of different reasons.

Skip Gundlach wrote:
See my log postings - and I'm not finished yet - on the Bahamas. You
could
spend your life here...

That's what I've heard.

But you have to get there first...

Richard

In article , Frogwatch wrote:
I've found I have a lot more fun talking to
odd people I meet than sailing.

You could've stayed at home, there are plenty of odd people here[1].

Justin.

1. If you don't know who I'm talking about, it's you.
--
Justin C, by the sea.

Bob Bob is offline

On Jun 11, 6:21*pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
See my log postings - and I'm not finished yet - on the Bahamas. *You
could
spend your life here...

Skip

Im not sure If Id want to spend a life typing and trying to fix stuff
on a boat. How muc wake time do you actually spend free of typing,
boat fixing, part finding, bitchin about venders, and smoozing other
sailors/vendors? Oh and getting stuck in the mud or trying to stay in
one place when your anchor draggs?
Time for some coffee and get my grades in.
BOb

Bob wrote:
On Jun 11, 6:21 pm, Skip Gundlach wrote:
See my log postings - and I'm not finished yet - on the Bahamas. You
could
spend your life here...

Skip

Im not sure If Id want to spend a life typing and trying to fix stuff
on a boat. How muc wake time do you actually spend free of typing,
boat fixing, part finding, bitchin about venders, and smoozing other
sailors/vendors? Oh and getting stuck in the mud or trying to stay in
one place when your anchor draggs?
Time for some coffee and get my grades in.
BOb

For the investment, there is not really any more maintenance involved
than a house, which is stuck in one spot, or an RV. The cruising glass
is more than half full so dwelling on the less-than-half empty part
makes no more sense with boating than in does in the rest of life.

Stephen

"Bob" wrote in message

Im not sure If Id want to spend a life typing and trying to fix stuff
on a boat. How muc wake time do you actually spend free of typing,
boat fixing, part finding, bitchin about venders, and smoozing other
sailors/vendors? Oh and getting stuck in the mud or trying to stay in
one place when your anchor draggs?
Time for some coffee and get my grades in.
BOb

Hi, Boob,

Interesting you should ask. The last couple of weeks have allowed next to
no time for any of what you think I do all the time (other than a short
burst of internet time you'll see about in the next log - which, admittedly,
did allow for some ordering of stuff including more really skimpy bathing
suits, the closest I come to convention when company's around).

You'll have to wait for the next log to see what I mean, but I've not done
any "boat work" (other than scrubbing the bottom of the dinghy today after
our snorkeling expedition following our sail up to Allens from Highborne) in
weeks...

I live life as it comes - and it doesn't get much better than this...

L8R

Skip, off Allens' northwest side in about 20' of water

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand. You seek problems because you need their gifts."

(Richard Bach, in Illusions - The Reluctant Messiah)

In article ,
"Flying Pig" wrote:

Skip, off Allens' northwest side in about 20' of water

Alaska always comes to mind.....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply