posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
hk hk is offline

Default Shopping for a non-boating GPS...

On 5/23/10 10:02 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...
On 5/23/10 8:51 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...
Got a buddy who is graduating from college at the age of 41, and got
there by going part time after work for many years. He's going to
celebrate by taking a nice, long driving vacation across the USA, and
I'd like to get him a special gift, a GPS he can use in his car and
also outside the car for hiking trails and walking city streets...

I think something with a nice 4" to 5" screen would do, rather than
one of the tiny screen pocket models. Problem is, I know nothing about
these land-based GPS devices.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

I've been looking at the new family of Garmin Nuvi 1390T through 1490T
GPS units on sale from COSTCO.
I did read a couple of iffy reviews about the units going off & losing
info. guess I'll wait another month or so.
The advantage of these new slim, light models is that some also have
inner city info on walking and public transportation schedules.
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=11&lang=en-CA

Think I'll wait a bit longer to find out if they rate ok in the long
run.

Helpful, thanks. That's sorta what I in mind...I think. The 1490T
shows on the Garmin site without a price...I wonder if it is a model
about to be dropped...
Garmin has so many damned models, it makes selection difficult...and
apparently a bunch of new models are close to being released.

Where did you find reviews?

I just did the Google thing...
here's one http://www.consumersearch.com/auto-g...min-nuvi-1490t
i've seen the either the 1460T or the 1490T at my local Costco for
either $279.00 or $299.00
COSTCO sends me weekly e-mails advertising their latest deals.

I think this is a fairly respected Canadian site...
http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-nuvi-14...s-reviews.html

Wished they reviewed better... I'd be playing with one right now.

BTW For what it's worth, I see Consumer reports recommend:
Garmin Nuvi 1690 @ approx $ 430.00
Tom Tom GO 740 Live @ approx $350.00
Garmin Nuvi 765T @ approx $250.00
Motorola Motonav Tn765t @ approx $280.00
budget units:
Magellan Roadmate 1340 @ $140.00
Garmin Nuvi 265T @ $150.00
Tom Tom One 140S @ $120.00

Well, I liked the review of the 1490 on that Canadian site, so I ordered
one. If my buddy likes it, I might buy a unit for my wife, who, when she
travels on business, likes to explore new cities and their encirons on
the "off" days.

--
The Tea Party's teabaggers are just the Republican base by another name.

"hk" wrote in message
[...]

"encirons" Dare I ask, or is it too kinky for rec.boats?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

m...

"hk" wrote in message
[...]

Good...I was hoping someone would buy it first and let me know how it works
out.
I imagine it'll be on sale again at COSTCO in the near future.