Default Going About with a Foul Hull.

I noticed my sons Hunter 25 was almost impossible to gybe OR
tack in a narrow channel a week ago at Corpus.
The tiller was signaling the swirls coming off it
to each side while sailing.

This weekend, he took the thirty mile trip to the yard where
he could have the bottom cleaned and painted after too many years
in the water.

I am hopeful the boat will go about a little more smartly when the
chore is complete. Will it?

Brian W

"brian whatcott" wrote in message
I noticed my sons Hunter 25 was almost impossible to gybe OR
tack in a narrow channel a week ago at Corpus.
The tiller was signaling the swirls coming off it
to each side while sailing.

This weekend, he took the thirty mile trip to the yard where
he could have the bottom cleaned and painted after too many years
in the water.

I am hopeful the boat will go about a little more smartly when the
chore is complete. Will it?

Brian W

I'd say yes. When I took my Cal 20 to the yard for haul/wash/work, I could
barely get it over 3kts and was hard to turn even with the engine. There was
a forest growing on everything below the waterline. After it got cleaned, it
sailed nicely.

I'm a bit mystified by the gyping part though... That's usually pretty easy
almost no matter what.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 4/19/2010 4:51 PM, Capt. JG wrote:

I'm a bit mystified by the gyping part though... That's usually pretty easy
almost no matter what.

He said it wouldn't gybe in a narrow channel implying the narrow
channel's width wasn't enough. I'm sure it'd gybe given enough wind and
room.

"slide" wrote in message
On 4/19/2010 4:51 PM, Capt. JG wrote:

I'm a bit mystified by the gyping part though... That's usually pretty
easy
almost no matter what.

He said it wouldn't gybe in a narrow channel implying the narrow channel's
width wasn't enough. I'm sure it'd gybe given enough wind and room.

I am too, but a gybe takes less room and you're more certain to finish it
than tacking (assuming he knows how to gybe, which I'm assuming), especially
in a narrow channel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Marsol Anti Foul Noj Zang Cruising 0 January 20th 10 02:32 AM
Murder Most Foul jlrogers±³© ASA 0 November 26th 06 02:45 PM
Propane system foul-up GBM Cruising 10 May 20th 06 09:04 AM
FOUL WEATHER GEAR Gull Rock's ASA 1 December 11th 04 02:01 AM
Foul Weather Sailing Horvath ASA 103 July 13th 03 10:51 PM