posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default I do not like Lifesling

"goofball_star_dot_etal" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/04/2010 00:55, Capt. JG wrote:
"Bill wrote in message

"Capt. wrote in message
easolutions...
"Don wrote in message

wrote in message
On Apr 8, 1:27 pm, "Capt. wrote:
wrote in message

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:48:02 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

I have one but when I consider how it is to be used, it makes no
sense. In most cases, you will want to be able to throw something
the person and you simply cannot throw the Lifesling. After
considering various throwables, I settled on a cheap JimBuoy with a
poly (floating) rope attached via a ss clip. The 150' of light line
goes into a canvas bag on the stern rail where it is protected from
the sun. The ring buoy is detached and put below when I am not on
the
boat and the line is stuffed in its bag out of the sun. When I go
aboard, I simply attach the line again.
Of course, this is in addition to the tethers we use that attach
via
carabiner to our inflatable life jackets. The tethers go to a ring
bolt in the cockpit. At night, everybody wears a tether.
The inflatables each have a strobe as well and mine has a new
EPIRB.
YES, I am paranoid.

You misunderstand how a Lifesling is supposed to be used. The idea
is to let all of the line out behind the boat and then circle the
person in the water like you were bringing the tow rope to a water
skiier. This is a maneuver that needs to be practiced.

You should really try to find a "Safety at Sea" course in your area.
They typically provide live demonstrations of all sorts of safety
equipment and some very worthwhile discussions by experts.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/SAS/Seminars.htm

Yes, that's what I participated in... a couple of years ago. The
other
good
point, which Wayne mentioned and I'll reinforce, is to get
instruction
and
even more importantly get in lots of practice. It can be fun to do -
if
the
water's warm and it's a nice day - with a volunteer. If it's not a
nice
day,
practice one or more of the regular non-Lifesling techniques, such as
the
Quick Turn (aka Figure 8). You can't practice enough.

--
"j" ganz

I understand the circling bit until the Lifesling gets to the person
but that just seems kinda slow when what you really want to do is get
contact with the person ASAP.
Yes, I do need more practice though.

I believe, in a sailboat, the objective is to approach the victim
while
sailing upwind. You don't want to run him down& finish the job, eh?

Yes. In fact, the object is not really to get to the person ASAP.
Assuming they're wearing a PFD, they're not going to sink. The initial
object of the process is to get yourself and your boat under control.
Then, approach them in a sensible way... from downwind... typically a
close reach, since a close haul give you no ability to point higher
without stalling, and a beam reach is too fast and nearly impossible to
let out the sails enough to stop.

The object even after you've reached the COB is not to "get him out of
the water," but rather to attach the COB to the boat, then retrieve.

The Lifesling cuts the time to get back to the water vs. a more
traditional approach (e.g., Figure 8) and gives the COB something to
grab
that's attached to the boat. Thus, in rough wind/sea state, you don't
have a great of a potential to lose sight of the COB.

Everyone needs more practice. I practice with my private students and
even some charters if they're interested.

It's really one of the essential lessons for sailing instruction. On
the
bay, we typically teach the Fig. 8, since we're interested in teaching
sail trim and boat handling. It's too dangerous in these waters to put
someone in the water. I've done that in the Carib., but not here, save
the seminars previously mentioned.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bad assumption. What if no PFD? You want to get a life ring or a
floatation device to the person so they can stay above water.
Especially
in cold water. Only MOB situation I was in was about 40 years ago and
they guy fell off the boat in to 50 degree water with a heavy coat on
while salmon fishing. Threw him a life ring so he would have some
floatation and kept eyes on him while I instructed the guy at the wheel
where to go. And Lifeslings were recalled for some forgotten reason
about
20 years ago.

It's not a bad assumption, given two factors. First, he pretty much
implied
everyone was wearing one. Second, on my boat I require everyone to wear a
PFD. If you're wearing a PFD, you're going to be floating. The chances of
an
inflatable failing is minimal, as long as it's properly maintained, which
is
a trivial job.

Of course, getting back sooner vs. later is better. But, you can't
compromise the safety of the rest of the crew or the boat by acting
prematurely.

In the case of no PFD, then the options are much more limited. If the
person
is conscious, even in 50 deg water, they're going to have useful
consciousness for 15 to 20 minutes (perhaps more). Throwing something,
perhaps lots of things that float is always a good idea. It sounds like
you
did the right thing.. I take it the person survived.

If the person is unconscious, the options dwindle further. Probably,
they're
going to die without a PFD. Not much can be done except try.

The Lifesling has undergone extensive testing, and the CG approved models
work as advertised.

I don't think they had H%S when I was a kid, but at least I had a duffle
coat..
http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=12585

H%S? Don't know that acronym.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 8, 7:48*am, Frogwatch wrote:
I have one but when I consider how it is to be used,
YES, I am paranoid.

After reading all the advice I realized each advisor here neglected to
consider a couple basic quesions before shooitn off their moth.

Ya migh want to know:
What type boat is Frogwatch using as in motor or sail
WHat size is this unknow vessel and When does the bhoat operate.
WHERE does this boat operate as in 80 degree F lake in Kansas or SF
Bay or Strait of Juan de Fuca or 900 miles west of W 130 line
Who are the passangers as in toddlers, or invalid 80 yo or Skip and
Lydia.
Does the operatrer have any training if so what kind and how
aboutthepassangers?

All will determine what type of emergency equipmnet and stratiges to
use.
But I guess its easier to just toss a bunch of jizz instead of
inquiring first.
Bob

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:55:41 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 04:26:08 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

[...]

Most of us here are quite familiar with all of the elements you
mentioned. Frogwatch has been posting extensively here for years under
a couple of names. We know all to well, the complete list of ships in
his little navy, his sailing area, his areas of interest and
expertise, how each member of his family feels about boats, and his
personality. We didn't just jump in at the last minute with no
background in the subject and plenty of unfounded opinion, as you just
did. :-)

Exactly.

On 13/04/2010 00:23, Capt. JG wrote:
w wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/04/2010 00:55, Capt. JG wrote:
"Bill wrote in message

"Capt. wrote in message
easolutions...
"Don wrote in message

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I totally understand that some of you are more interested in typos and
what Skip had for breakfast than old photos.
H&S = Health and Safety. It's all the rage these days over here.

w wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/04/2010 00:55, Capt. JG wrote:
"Bill wrote in message

"Capt. wrote in message
easolutions...
"Don wrote in message

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Ah... duh.. sorry. Just didn't make the connection. Actually, I enjoy
reading Skip's travellog. Now if you had typed H7S, I would have gotten it
immediately.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bob wrote:
On Apr 8, 7:48 am, wrote:

[...]

That was painful to read. Come back after you finish school.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

Most of us here are quite familiar with all of the elements you
mentioned. Frogwatch has been posting extensively here for years under
a couple of names. We know all to well, the complete list of ships in
his little navy, his sailing area, his areas of interest and
expertise, how each member of his family feels about boats, and his
personality. We didn't just jump in at the last minute with no
background in the subject and plenty of unfounded opinion, as you just
did. :-)-

Im saddened because ive been posting here since 2005 and never got
invited to your little group of buddies... Must be nice part of such a
special little gourp.

I lok at it this way:
THis place does have some great information at times. I use it as an
information source... Thats why its important to add detail to your
post so myself and others can benifit from the discussion. Heck
someone migh search "life slings" and get this post and because of the
total lack of detail continuin searcing for more usable stuff.

In other words if ya just want ot blow kisses up our buddies ass go
for it. If you want to contribute to a useful body of literature try
addign some useful detail.

Then there is SKip...................10,000s words of self induced
gizz enough to gag a texas cheerleader

Wilmington Rexroth
Dell Tec Support
Vernal, UT
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Bob Bob is offline

I totally understand that some of you are more interested in typos and
what Skip had for breakfast than old photos.
H&S = Health and Safety. It's all the rage these days over here.- Hide quoted text -

HSE = Health, Safety and Enviornment

Pretty much industry standard here.
Robin Rexroth

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 04:52:08 -0700 (PDT), Bob wrote:

[...]

Gosh, Bob, maybe you should have read the whole thread instead of trying to
glean all the information about an individual from one post. If, as you say,
you've been posting 'here' since 2005, then you should be very familiar with
Frogwatch and his various interests. If you feel you're missing out on
information, just ask. Detail will be provided.

To expect a detailed information background in every post on every subject is
getting a little extreme.

--
John H

For a great time, go here first... http://tinyurl.com/ygqxs5v
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
hk hk is offline

wrote:

Then there is SKip...................10,000s words of self induced
gizz enough to gag a texas cheerleader

Wilmington Rexroth
Dell Tec Support
Vernal, UT

Yes, there is Skip who is a great writer and gives a wealth of
information to anyone who cares to read his stories.

You are not obligated to read anything Skip writes as a function of
"Dell Tec Support". Spell much ?

Anyway, I have three Dells and will remember to ask who the person is
I'm talking to should I ever need support.

Uhh, that would include you out.

Well, if they are Dells, you'll be speaking to someone on an island off
of Bangladesh when you need support. Good luck.

--
http://tinyurl.com/ykxp2ym