posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Tired of the ICW

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 19:12:53 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places. If I were in Stuart going to the Bahamas, I'd skip
Miami and Bimini and go directly across to the Bahamas from either
Fort Pierce or Port St Lucie. The Pt St Lucie inlet can be dangerous
at times so be careful with that. There are several ways to cross the
banks and clear customs once you get to the Bahamas via this route.
Drop me an EMAIL at my GMAIL address if you want more details.

Another popular alternative is to go south only as far as Lake Worth
Inlet at Palm Beach and cross over to West End which is a port of
entry. Be advised that you will need $150 in US cash and passports
to clear customs in the Bahamas. You'll also need a yellow "Q" flag
and a Bahamian courtesy flag, both available at West Marine.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

wrote:

[...]

If you haven't already done this, you'll also want to sign up for the
US Local Boater Option (LBO) which allows you to clear back in to the
United States with a phone call. Otherwise you may have to leave the
boat somewhere, rent a car, and drive to Miami which is a real PITA.

Everyone on the boat needs to have a LBO number but it is an easy
procedure. You probably have a "Port of Entry" up in the panhandle
where you could sign up.

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2010-03-12-1

===========

How and where do I sign up?

Make an appointment to sign up for the Local Boater Option at local
ports of entry.

South Florida ports of entry include: Key West (305-296-2233); Port
Everglades (954-761-2000); West Palm Beach (561-848-6922); and Port of
Miami (305-536-4758).

=============

wrote:

[...]

I have a 13 hp engine and can make 6.5 kts in calm water using it.
Yes, My strategy is to use the gulf stream current instead of fighting
it.
People say "Do not try to cross if there is any N or any near term
projected North in the wind". Most of the time the wind is SE meaning
that going straight across (90 degrees), I would have to aim about 100
degrees to take into account the current meaning sailing would be
difficult to West End from Lake Worth inlet although that is what most
people do. However, I am going to the Berry Islands so I need to go
to Bimini first meaning leaving from Miami is the best option I think.
With a SE wind, no way I am going to sail right up against the shore,
lee shore and all that.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
hk hk is offline

wrote:

[...]

Berry Islands? Not a place for freeloaders and deal seekers like you.

--
Conservatives - just pretend Obama's health care legislation is another
unnecessary war and you'll feel better about it.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:03:00 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

People say "Do not try to cross if there is any N or any near term
projected North in the wind". Most of the time the wind is SE meaning
that going straight across (90 degrees)

I wouldn't count on being able to sail across in a south easterly.
Many days when it is calm enough to cross there is barely any wind at
all. Most people like to leave at the crack of dawn and motor due
east to get out of the stream as soon as possible before the afternoon
breeze kicks in. Make sure you have more than enough fuel on board
to motor the entire distance if you need to.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Lake Worth

Be mindful of the channel in "Lake Worth", a misnamed FLORIDA SWAMP that's
only a few inches deep. I dragged a 6' 6" keel over the sand IN THE
CHANNEL across that damned thing and will never do that again!

We did pretty good. We only ran aground harder than the engine could
overcome about 6 times and only one of those resulted in having to beg the
locals for a towrope.

Sailboats belong at SEA. Thanks!

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

--
Nom=de=Plume

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:37:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

It's a combination of being as far away from the center axis of the
stream as possible, combined with the friction/constriction of shallow
water along the shore.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:41:04 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:37:46 -0700, "nom=de=plume"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

My 28' sailboat is now in Stuart, Fl after transiting the Okechobee
waterway but I want to get to Bimini and then to the Berry Is. so I
need to get to Miami. However, I am now very tired of the ICW so I
would like to sail down the coast on the outside from Stuart to
Miami. If I stay within 5 miles of land, will I have any problems
with the Gulf Stream pushing me N.?

You can minimize the current by staying right along the beach in 20 to
30 ft of water but you will still have half a knot or so against you
in many places.

This is due to the smaller volume of water (shallow vs. deep)? Or is
something else going on?

It's a combination of being as far away from the center axis of the
stream as possible, combined with the friction/constriction of shallow
water along the shore.

Usually there is a counter current on the sides of any really strong
current like the Gulf Stream.

After the first year, we always went from Ft. Pierce to Miami outside.
Had no problem with the Gulf Stream as we stayed closer to shore than
that. We set the instruments to show us the water temperature and if
it got warmer, we went west until it was cooler again. We do have a
larger boat than you do but maybe not much faster.

I always resisted going from Lake Worth - I know people do it but it
seemed counter-intuitive to me- we tried to get down at least as far
as Rodriguez Key when going to Bimini and even then we couldn't make
any progress against the Gulf Stream.

Even the first time, we never went with anyone else. It never worked
out and it isn't necessary.
S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156

Tired of the ICW Frogwatch General 52 May 4th 10 03:34 PM
Are you white and tired? HK General 3 June 7th 09 12:35 PM
Too Tired to Sail Capt. Rob ASA 0 July 15th 07 03:45 PM
Tired Old 4 Cyl crystalguy General 7 September 11th 06 12:43 PM
I'm getting tired Jim, General 2 February 27th 05 05:15 AM