Joe Joe is offline

Default 48 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 55 seconds

Jules Vern Trophy changed hands yesterday.
http://explorersweb.com/oceans/news.php?id=19185

"Joe" wrote in message
Jules Vern Trophy changed hands yesterday.
http://explorersweb.com/oceans/news.php?id=19185

How much coffee did they lose when the red boat sunk?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:35:48 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

Jules Vern Trophy changed hands yesterday.
http://explorersweb.com/oceans/news.php?id=19185

==========

Groupama 3 sailed 28,523 miles with an average speed of 24.6 knots.

That's incredible. Thanks for posting the link.

wrote:
Jules Vern Trophy changed hands yesterday.
http://explorersweb.com/oceans/news.php?id=19185

==========

Groupama 3 sailed 28,523 miles with an average speed of 24.6 knots.

That's incredible. *Thanks for posting the link.

Yeah thats moving pretty fast. About the average of the faster
crewboats in the gulf and they burn 180 GPH.

BTW what did you catch that BIG Mahi Mahi with? That looked like one
tasty fish.

You using squid type lures? Seems the lime green with sparkles worked
best for us.

How did you land him? Most cruisers tell me it better to just drag
them until they drown, after I tell them about the one that flopped
off the deck.;0(

Also the pictures you have been taking are great, the mega yacht with
the inverted bow and round palace top sides was one funky looking
boat. That port looked very expensive.

Joe

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:31:30 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

BTW what did you catch that BIG Mahi Mahi with? That looked like one
tasty fish.

It was. The lure was a pink and white Rattle Jet. BassPro sells them
among others. I bought a bunch of them just before we left on the
advice of a guy that I met in our local bait shop. I've been very
impressed with them. We've caught 4 nice Mahi Mahis so far and way
too many Barracudas.

You using squid type lures? Seems the lime green with sparkles worked
best for us.

How did you land him? Most cruisers tell me it better to just drag
them until they drown, after I tell them about the one that flopped
off the deck.;0(

I usually end up with a break-off if I drag a big fish accidently,
even with 100 lb line and leaders. We're typically cruising at about
8 knots so that creates a lot of pressure. I've had a couple of
break-offs this trip just standing still. One spooled me completely
out in less than a minute and broke off, the other snapped a 100 lb
leader like it was a rubber band. Never saw either one of them.

That big Mahi Mahi put up one heck of a battle. We stopped the boat
as soon as he struck, threatened to spool me out against the drag
several times, made a bunch of big jumps, took me completely around
the boat once, and then threatened to go under. He was still making
big runs against the drag 15 minutes after being hooked and darn near
took all of the skin off my right thumb at one point trying to slow
him down. We eventually got him to the stern after about 30 minutes
and I gaffed him from the swim platform. He was still feisty after
being gaffed but I had him under control and was eventually able to
lift him aboard but it was a struggle all the way.