Default This looks like a similar cold front as the one that sunk Red Cloud.

"Bob" wrote in message
In your defense and perhaps Joe's, it is easy to get caught up in this
rescue madness. Witness the poor bloke on the
'Satori.'http://www.westsail.org/satori.html

Wilbur Hubbard

To comments:

I read the Westsail link. Just another example of old guys not keeping
up on best proceedures and bosting of their past accomplishments,
Lying a hull is DISASTER in any seas larger than your beam. Thy will
be rolled. Heavy weather sailing requirres a progressive set of
stratigies. Lying a hull is great for a nice sunny family outing not a
survival stratgy.

True, I can see you have also read K. Adlard Coles. Lying ahull is an OK
strategy for most yachts in the early stages of a storm before wind and
fetch build the waves to dimensions so great that the amplitude and period
is conducive to rolling a yacht. However, a lot does depend upon the
underbody and topsides of the yacht so imperiled. The Westsail tends to lie
ahull with the bow somewhat into the wind and forereaching. It doesn't
generally lie sideways to the wind. I would imagine the Westsail lying ahull
would be safer longer than many modern fin keel/spade rudder designs that do
tend to lie ahull sideways. But, even in a Westsail, when push comes to
shove running before the storm would be a safer course of action. A stout
storm jib only would be the order of the day for me if I sailed a Westsail
32. Considering the canoe stern running before large winds and seas would be
quite tenable. Keeping a close watch out for rogue waves would be wise, as
well.

Second, to the arrogant ass last year who criticized me for keeping my
valise SOLAS life raft INSIDE my boat please read the following
fromthe Sarori link:

...............Satori was riding out the seas when a second knockdown
occurred. ...The boat went over approximately ninety degrees and again
righted herself. During this knockdown the life raft was torn from its
deck mount. Hitting the water the raft -- as designed -- inflated
immediately and its strobe light began flashing.....

tha is precisly why I keep the valise inside my boat. where It does
not have to suffer blistering 150+F temprature baking in a can on deck
for 10 years.

Also, less prone to theft.

Pennnington Ralph Rexroth

Keeping a life raft valise in the accommodation is not a bad plan. It has
many advantages and few disadvantages. Among the disadvantages is the
difficulty of rapid and safe deployment especially if the crew were
incapacitated in any way or if the boat were capsized.

But, everything tends to be a compromise of one sort or another in any blue
water yacht. The freedom to choose one's own path is one of the joys of
yachting. Suffering the consequences of ill choices or enjoying the benefits
of wise choices is also part and parcel of freedom of choice.

It seems to me the really wise and cautious blue water sailor would opt for
a positive flotation yacht such as one of the ETAPs over a vessel that sinks
when flooded thus making a life raft required equipment.

My blue water yacht has positive flotation installed by yours truly.

Wilbur Hubbard

Joe Joe is offline

Default This looks like a similar way Nealbur lost his boat.

On Feb 12, 10:59*am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K1r1QJAijE

A local says he now lives on Cathrine street in an old flop house.
The mangrove marsh has been much more peaceful and quiet, and now a
pleasure on the eyes.

Joe

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:53:11 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 11:18:22 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

You and I (and Joe) have a different definition of 'sailing'. Mine does not
include 'sinking'.

Right on with that. Get out there and do it, sailing that is.

You're becoming like some of those liveaboard boats in Boot Key with
two feet of grass hanging off their bottom.

If it is a liveaboard, what difference does a lot of grass make. A
foot of clams and barnies would be another story. The grass can be
removed without taking the gel coat or paint with it if you decide to
sail it or sell it to a sailor. I can just see someone standing on an
inverted hull with a 90 lb vertical drilling machine, A
JackHammer[TM] [Ingersoll Rand]. Those things will get the barnacles.
What's a little grass?

Casady

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:08:07 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Our thought has always been to work our way along the TP (not toilet paper -
Thorny Path) during the fall and winter to avoid the headwinds, taking
advantage of the frequent northers. Wayne, your comments seem to confirm
our thoughts. Since you're posting, I presume you have internet. I know
you've got a system similar in capability to ours; what's been your
experience with open sites along the way down?

Our WiFi system is working just fine but frankly we've been a bit
disapointed in the number and quality of open sites. It seems that
more and more people are encrypting their access points these days,
and some harbors like Nassau are inundated with high powered
commercial sites trying to draw in business, and swamping everything
else in the process. Right now we are at a marina in Marigot Bay, St
Martin which charges 7 Euros/day but it is the only thing available.

We had a great stay in Turks and Caicos, nice weather and nice people.
Their is a good place to stay known as the "annex". Call Simon at
South Side Marina on channel 16 for details. He runs a cruiser net
every morning at 8:30 and is very helpful. You can clear customs and
immigration at South Side Marina with no hassel at all.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7...stostmarti.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/waynebspottrack