Bob Bob is offline

Default Live From the Bayou..

Since everyone else spills their guts here I though Id give you an
update on my life.

After a year working as an Able Seaman down in the bayous I can say
without a doubt if you are out of work, old, fat, a hateful racists,
cant read or write come on down and youll fit right in.

Whats next...... after logging 360 days on vessels over 100 grt Im off
to Mate school in 3 months. This will cost $17,000 and last 6 months.
Why? I thought it might be fun walking out with a 1600 ton Mate
license and there are some classes I want to take anyway.

In 2002 a bunch of licensing (CFRs/STCW) changes occured so the reason
for the 6 months worth of classes. No more are the days when any Joe
can get his bubba-in-law to write up some fake seatime and end up in
the wheelhouse and then log more seatime to advance. The captains Ive
ran into here have been grandfathered in year after year with each new
round of increased requirments. You have to remember the GOM OSV (oil
&mineral) fleet has there own licensing system.

My advice to all here who is looking for something to do or just want
to make some money come on down. The bar is set pretty low. It has to
be. There are jobs in the oilpatch but you have to have the patience
of Buda.

Humm, I wonder what I should do with a 1600 ton Mate
license.................... maybe work the Seattle ferries. Ya, that
would be fun !

Bob

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 2, 6:31*am, Bob wrote:
[...]

Wow thats amazing Bob. You posted last feb. that you found a job, and
now you post that you have a year of sea time. But you also said you
work two weeks on and two weeks off....so exactly how did you get 360
days sea time on a vessel?

The only way the USCG will give you 2 days for one is if you have Navy
or USCG time underway. That's how I got my 1600 ton at 24 y.o.

Guess your math is as good as your spelling huh?

Well since all you post here is fake, and you post as a puppet, and
could not even answer the simple question about two of the biggest
boats in the port you pretend to work from ......no one should take
anything you say as the truth.

It's nice that you feel the need to be all I could be 25 years
ago...you make me blush.

Oh and by the way "OSV" is not oil and mineral...if you are going to
lie at least try to get your terms straight..(Offshore Service Vessel)

Joe

You You is offline

In article
,
Bob wrote:

Humm, I wonder what I should do with a 1600 ton Mate
license.................... maybe work the Seattle ferries. Ya, that
would be fun !

Bob

Find yourself a Master who moves Coastal Freighters and Alaskan Fish
Processors on contract, and get him to take you on as the REQUIRED Mate
till you get enough Sea Time to sit for a Coastwise Freighter Masters
License.....
Bob Bob is offline

Wow thats amazing Bob. You posted last feb. that you found a job, and
now you post that you have a year of sea time. But you also said you
work two weeks on and two weeks off....so exactly how did you get 360
days sea time on a vessel?

12 hour days gives 1.5 days
28 on 14 off
I stayed over a couple hitches.
It all works out or I should say I have my Sea Service letter in hand
ready for an upgrade.

The only way the USCG will give you 2 days for one is if you have Navy
or USCG *time underway. That's how I got my 1600 ton at 24 y.o.

THe NMC doe not give 2:1 they alow 1.5 for 12 hour days. But im sure
you knew that because your so smart un all.

Guess your math is as good as your spelling huh?

see above

Well since all you post here is fake, and you post as a puppet, and
could not even answer the simple question about two of the biggest
boats in the port you pretend to work from ......no one should take
anything you say as the truth.

*It's nice that you feel the need to be all I could be 25 years
ago...you make me blush.

Ya I guess Im not the kind of guy to sit on my fat ass and boats about
the good ol days. Id rather just do it.

*Oh and by the way "OSV" is not oil and mineral...if you are going to
lie at least try to get your terms straight..(Offshore Service Vessel)

Dam joe you are struggling for something to criticize. If yu read the
CFRs OSV is a vessel type along with DSV or crewboat or DP etc engaged
in the exploration/extration/transportaion oil and mineral work.

GOod luck joe. Next time I need some good old day stories Il be sure
to ask.............. god luck with your coffee gig
Bob

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 2, 2:12*pm, You wrote:
In article

Find yourself a Master who moves Coastal Freighters and Alaskan Fish
Processors on contract, and get him to take you on as the REQUIRED Mate
till you get enough Sea Time to sit for a Coastwise Freighter Masters
License.....

I was thinking about that. Coastal Transport next to the Ballard
Bridge has a few of those. When I was going to commercial dive school
in Ballard in 1980 there use to be the Dolfin and Bowfin or somthing
like that tied up there. I see they are still working up in ALaska.
That could be a real hoot! ALthough bedding a few cougars on those
Cruise West
boats might be fun

DO you have any other suggestions? Im always open to ideas and good
job leads.
Thanks again.
Cordially,
BOb

Bob Bob is offline

Find yourself a Master who moves Coastal Freighters and Alaskan Fish
Processors on contract, and get him to take you on as the REQUIRED Mate
till you get enough Sea Time to sit for a Coastwise Freighter Masters
License.....

Hey YOU:

Tell me more about the Coastwise Freighter Masters. Im not familure
with it. Sounds like you may have some first hand info.
Bob
You You is offline

In article
,
Bob wrote:

On Feb 2, 2:12*pm, You wrote:
In article

Find yourself a Master who moves Coastal Freighters and Alaskan Fish
Processors on contract, and get him to take you on as the REQUIRED Mate
till you get enough Sea Time to sit for a Coastwise Freighter Masters
License.....

I was thinking about that. Coastal Transport next to the Ballard
Bridge has a few of those. When I was going to commercial dive school
in Ballard in 1980 there use to be the Dolfin and Bowfin or somthing
like that tied up there. I see they are still working up in ALaska.
That could be a real hoot! ALthough bedding a few cougars on those
Cruise West
boats might be fun

DO you have any other suggestions? Im always open to ideas and good
job leads.
Thanks again.
Cordially,
BOb

I know one of the Cruise West Skippers who ran one of their 500 Ton
Passenger Ships up here.... He learned the waters as a Skipper for one
of the Salmon Tenders that spend their summers running around the
Coastal Waters of Alaska. Put in his time and then went to school for a
Coastwise Mates License... Moved Processors for a couple of years and
then sat for the Coastwise Masters License.... then ran a Coastal
Freighter for a couple of years and then went on to do contract work for
the BIG Processors, and summers running the Cruise West boats....
Local Knowledge is one of the BIG prerequisites for running Big things

On Feb 2, 11:43*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the God Luck

Why not go deep sea and sit for a 3rd mates unlimited?
Use that Union you are so proud of to find you a gig.

Also there has to be many Merchant Marine ships sailing out of the
PNW.
I hear they are looking for crew on the RedCloud, she's a sweet, fast
new ship going places like Deigo Garcia and the Persian Gulf.

Joe

Bob Bob is offline

Thanks for the God Luck

Sure, everyone should have a little luck now and then.

Why not go deep sea and sit for a 3rd mates unlimited?
Use that Union you are so proud of to find you a gig.

Yes, I do support unions. I belive they are a vey unfortunate
necessity. As long as there are corporations that treat equipment
better than emplyees we need unions.

Why am I looking at the lowerlevel licenses instead of the unlimmited
tonnage? Personal reasons. I like smaller boats. Ive worked on a bunch
or boats 300'-680' and just dont like it.

Plus its a lot faster for me to go the lower level route.

Also there has to be many Merchant Marine ships sailing out of the
PNW.

Mostly tugs. The deepsea is a SeaTac thing.
But I got to be honest, I think the Cruise West tour boats might be a
hoot. Wages are way low but the views would be super and mmmmm the
cougars on tour and summer job college girls would be fun too.
Life isnt all about the money Joe. Its how you go through life that
counts.

TO tell you the truth I make more money woriiking my second job than I
do as a $250/day AB.

Bob

I hear they are looking for crew on the RedCloud, she's a sweet, fast
new ship going places like Deigo Garcia and the Persian Gulf.

I have no idea what you mean by that comment.

Joe

Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 5, 6:15*am, Bob wrote:

I hear they are looking for crew on the RedCloud, she's a sweet, fast
new ship going places like Deigo Garcia and the Persian Gulf.

I have no idea what you mean by that comment.

30 civilian mariners run the ship.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/54/540313.htm

A friend saw her in Deigo Garcia, and commented they are looking for
crew.

Blackwater is also putting together some escort vessels off of
Africia, converted work boats. Good money and adventure!

Joe

Joe- Hide quoted text -

new_19_Night Call at Bayou Sara, 1989_John Stobart_sqs squeegees Tall Ship Photos 0 September 10th 09 07:54 PM
Why live aboard sailors live longer. Ellen MacArthur ASA 5 December 16th 06 02:21 AM
Why would anybody want to live *down under*? Ellen MacArthur ASA 0 October 28th 06 06:18 PM
Live by G&G ASA 3 March 6th 05 06:47 PM
buy in VA live in MD? David Ditch Cruising 9 September 25th 03 07:06 PM