Default Top of the mast...

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:58:57 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
Mast steps?

Nope.
You have a modified Top Climber ? as I recall...
Completely my own creation. No Top Climber components used. Same idea,
but using better components and several design improvements.

No offense intended, but i can't imagine actually trying to use that.

A bosun's chair on a rope is one thing. Your hands are (more or less)
free to do something.

But climbing up what amounts to a rope ladder and trying to do anything
beyond snapping pictures is way beyond me.

Richard

I've heard it's pretty straight-forward... you mostly use your legs.

I kinda doubt that's all that it takes.

Jon is correct.

Even with a belly strap around the mast, there would simply be too much
possible motion for my comfort.

What motion? The static line you are climbing is anchored top and
bottom, and is winched very tight. You aren't going anywhere execpt up
and down.

And I suspect you'd have to hold on with hands as well.

You can let go with both hands at any point, and you never have to
hold onto anything other than the ascenders while climbing up or down.

All fun aside, I don't mind going up on a rope.

But climbing a rope ladder? Definitely *not* fun.
I know that one.
Done it in and out of helicopters too many times.

Once again, this is not a rope ladder. I wouldn't use one of those
either.

Going up the mast, a better way Frogwatch General 3 September 1st 09 09:18 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 1 August 27th 09 06:23 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 0 August 27th 09 05:39 AM
What's under your mast? Joe Cruising 16 November 6th 07 12:40 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 08:07 PM