Default Top of the mast...

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:37:27 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Yeah. I would rather pay someone else to do that if at all possible.

I don't mind it at all but my boat is very stable and I have never had to
go up except in the marina.
I had a good laugh some time ago when my brother climbed the mast of a
boat that was raher too small for his weight and watched him as she slowly
started to heel until he had to let go and drop into the water.

I went up the mast (part-way) in the Med a long time ago to change a
steaming light. It wasn't pleasant at all, and there was hardly any wind or
rocking. Now, I refuse to go unless it's an emergency (so far so good). Took
me 1/2 day to recover from seasickness.

I guess it's not for everybody. I like going up, and everybody in the
marina knows it. I get invited quite often. Standing on the edge of a
roof bothers me, but for some reason, I'm not bothered in the
slightest going up a mast. I now have a system for getting up the mast
on my boat without any help, and I've considered the idea of going up
just to take pictures in nice anchorages I visit.

wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:37:27 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

"Edgar" wrote in message
m...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...
"cavelamb" wrote in message
[...]

The shots you get can be pretty amazing. I like the ones straight down. I'll
have a get someone to do that next time.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
easolutions...

The shots you get can be pretty amazing. I like the ones straight down.
I'll have a get someone to do that next time.

--
"j" ganz

Do you still get the urge to fly? Bwahahhahahahahhahaha.

--
Gregory Hall

Default Hoses (WAS) Top of the mast...

I'll pay someone to replace the holding tank hose...

Heh...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

My solution to the problem was to go to PVC. It survived our wreck - it
will surely survive anything you can throw at it in regular use.

I wasn't smart enough yet - I learned more at the aft head - so my forward
head has a small section of the best head hose there is between the toilet
and the pipe in the wall (perhaps 8" total), and at the Y (two more short
sections), one from the holding tank and the other to the through hull.
Perhaps one day I'll make up the section of PVC to take away the section at
the head; the other is a bit more challenging, so likely I'll not bother.

My gallery has detailed pix on both installations in our initial refit
section, but I'm a bit pushed for time, so I apologize for not having the
specific section/pix to direct you to see it.

Suffice to say that there are NO hose points in my aft head. "Head smell"
is a thing of the past on Flying Pig, forever. WAY cheaper than that fancy
hose, too, and a full 1.5" inside...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Flying Pig wrote:
[...]

I read that in a previous message, Skip.
But I haven't dug through all your photos in quite a while.
Someday you need to organize and index that mess!
That will keep until you retire, though.

A question?

How does one connect to the tank outlet and (in my case) macerator
pump inlet using PVC?

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
[...]

I thought about converting to the PVC solution, but there's currently no
problem, so I'm going to wait until the hoses need to be changed.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Now think about a sixteen-year-old girl doing that in the great Southern
Ocean...

Tom

Default Hoses

A question?

How does one connect to the tank outlet and (in my case) macerator
pump inlet using PVC?

Hi, Richard,

The standard hose outlet fitting takes, of course, 1.5" hose. That hose OD
is exactly the outside diameter of 1.5" pipe.

So, I put a sleeve of hose on the barb fitting. making it exactly match the
end of the barb fitting. I make the connection a tight butt (in our aft
through-hull, it was a slight - maybe 3* - off-line, so I shaved the end of
the pipe, very carefully, to the proper angle to make it a tight butt
fitting).

A standard waste pipe rubber coupling sleeve goes over both. Liberal
application of KY equivalent or teflon grease will allow later moving, as
was the case in my forward head, where I changed out the Y valve, and my aft
head, in which I replaced everything but the bowl - loosen the clamps, slide
the coupling up on the PVC to get it out of the way, and do what you need to
do. Slide it back down to reinstall.

In addition to the standard two hose clamps supplied with the coupling, I
put another right over the butt. That prevents any seepage from getting to
the rest of the coupling. NO possibility of odor transfer. When I took off
my couplings to do my work on both heads, once the other end was out of the
way, I pulled off the coupling and looked inside. Not a mark of seepage on
either one...

Odor-safe or whatever the white hose marketer is, in their website, sells
PVC connectors which are the right size for attaching a hose; even they
recommend PVC where possible. Since, other than in the forward head, I
didn't have any hose points, that was irrelevant. In the forward head,
where I had a small section of hose into the wall, I just took a standard
hardware fitting (screws into the threaded coupling in the PVC) and ground
off the barbs until the 1.5" hose fit it, something I learned from seeing it
on some other application when I got the boat. When I redo that front head
part, I'll unthread the coupling and replace it with straight PVC, making my
bends as needed to match up perfectly with the toilet outlet, using the same
sleeve idea to make the rubber coupling fit. When I rebuild the pump, all
I'll have to do is slide the coupling up the PVC, and remove it, if just
undoing the bolts on the joker holder isn't sufficient.

One other hint, also long-ago discussed here with Peggie, is that we very
aggressively flush with raw water after each use. That helps move any urine
products through the system, minimizing scale formation. We then also dry
pump aggressively to empty the pipe to the anti-siphon. PVC will take
muriatic acid and vinegar with aplomb (get your plomb here, folks, going
fast!), so we do that regularly, too. Of course, we have no proof, but I'd
bet a bunch that we have no scale in our pipes...

HTH

L8R

Skip

Flying Pig wrote:

One other hint, also long-ago discussed here with Peggie, is that we very
aggressively flush with raw water after each use. That helps move any urine
products through the system, minimizing scale formation. We then also dry
pump aggressively to empty the pipe to the anti-siphon. PVC will take
muriatic acid and vinegar with aplomb (get your plomb here, folks, going
fast!), so we do that regularly, too. Of course, we have no proof, but I'd
bet a bunch that we have no scale in our pipes...

HTH

L8R

Skip

Thanks, Skip.
I'll take a look at it in that light...

Tom Dacon wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
I had to go up and reinstall an errant jib halyard today.

Now I know why a kitten stuck in a tree waits for the fire department
to come get him down...

It's not so much the height - as the sway...

Now think about a sixteen-year-old girl doing that in the great Southern
Ocean...

Tom

girl, boy?

When i was 16 free climbing the mast to scare my parents was great fun.

Going up the mast, a better way Frogwatch General 3 September 1st 09 09:18 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 1 August 27th 09 06:23 AM
Up the mast Katie Ohara General 0 August 27th 09 05:39 AM
What's under your mast? Joe Cruising 16 November 6th 07 01:40 AM
Mast Rake and Mast Bend DSK ASA 48 January 16th 04 09:07 PM