Default washing fruits and vegetables

On Nov 19, 7:04 am, brian whatcott wrote:
Chris wrote:
... FDA or CDC websites for more accurate
information. Bleach and peroxide were mentioned, and they are probably
good. I have also heard that potassium permanganate is also effective,
but it might be harder to get a hold of.

Good luck,

Chris

All strong oxidizers. I think potassium permanganate, that former
favorite of chemistry sets for kids, is now discouraged as carcinogenic

Brian W

Wikipedia (I know, not always the best source) has this:

"Almost all applications of potassium permanganate exploit its
oxidizing properties.[2] As a strong oxidant that does not generate
toxic byproducts, KMnO4 has many niche uses."

and this:

"As an oxidant, potassium permanganate can act as a disinfectant. For
example, dilute solutions are used to treat canker sores (ulcers),
disinfectant for the hands and treatment for mild pompholyx,
dermatitis,[4][5] and fungal infections of the hands or feet.[6]
Potassium permanganate, obtainable at pool supply stores, is used in
rural areas to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell)
from well and waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect
drinking water.[7]"

Chris

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:31:13 -0800 (PST), Chris
wrote:

On Nov 19, 7:48 am, Gogarty wrote:
In article
,
says...

On Nov 13, 9:04 pm, Joe wrote:
On Nov 12, 9:43 am, Hanz wrote:

I have also heard that potassium permanganate is also effective,but it might be harder to get a hold of.

That's the word! That's the word! In college we used to make a glass
cleaning solution that consisted of potassium permanganate and sulfuric
acid. Wicked stuff, but your lab glassware got really, really clean.

I kind of doubt that. This from Wikipedia:

"Solid KMnO4 is a strong oxidizer and thus should be kept separated
from oxidizable substances. Reaction with concentrated sulfuric acid
produces the highly explosive manganese(VII) oxide (Mn2O7)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate

Chris

BUT, the glassware would be so clean..... why, you could hardly see
the pieces :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Chris wrote:
[...]

Here's the MSDS. Not a carcinogen, but harmful if inhaled as a powder.
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p6005.htm

Brian W

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:28:27 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

Certainly if you can smell it you have enough; in fact you have more
then you need.

The threshold for smelling Cl is one part per million. One gram per
ton.

Casady

wrote:

Certainly if you can smell it you have enough; in fact you have more
then you need.

The threshold for smelling Cl is one part per million. One gram per
ton.

Casady

Depends on the nose I suppose, but actually the quote comes from the
Water Supervisor at Udon Airbase in the days I worked there. I had
dosed a well with what seemed to be a small amount of sodium
hypochlorite and turned the water into Clorox and since I had gotten
the stuff from the Water Plant I went back to bitch, whereupon I was
given a water test kit and the instructions that "you use less then
you think is enough" together with the "if it stinks you got too much"
statement.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

posted to rec.boats.cruising,soc.culture.thai

wrote:

Certainly if you can smell it you have enough; in fact you have more
then you need.

The threshold for smelling Cl is one part per million. One gram per
ton.

Casady

Depends on the nose I suppose, but actually the quote comes from the
Water Supervisor at Udon Airbase in the days I worked there. I had
dosed a well with what seemed to be a small amount of sodium
hypochlorite and turned the water into Clorox and since I had gotten
the stuff from the Water Plant I went back to bitch, whereupon I was
given a water test kit and the instructions that "you use less then
you think is enough" together with the "if it stinks you got too much"
statement.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

ROFTL!!!!!!!!
"at Udon Airbase in the days I worked there"
Another hilarious raving from the megalomaniac jBangkok dork.

"if it stinks you got too much"
AH! AH! AH! AH! AH! AH!
The fartbag fully deserves his nickname of "Brown-eyed Mullet"

Mort
"there are no docks in Bangkok" - by Bruce-in-Bull**** aka GSS, on 9
July 2009

Need a new washing machine... John H[_2_] General 11 February 11th 09 02:20 PM
Washing machine Joe ASA 3 October 22nd 07 08:44 PM
Fruits & Vegies Hammock? jeannette Cruising 7 August 25th 04 03:31 PM
Cloth washing Haakon Dybdahl Cruising 14 December 13th 03 04:36 PM