Default Bahamas Info

Thanks, Wilbur. More info (yours below) than any of the guides have
provided.

The girls enjoyed a nude beach experience on the main beach at Powell a
couple of days ago while I dove our keel (much encrusted from 4 months of
Saint Simons Island pluff) and transducers/keel cooler/groundplane. Perhaps
we'll go back today for the north beach what with the very small wind right
on our nose at the moment for Manjack and GTC.

We will spend a couple of days at GTC, especially as there's a sistership
moored there, owned by someone who was instrumental in our searching and
evaluation of the boat we passed on (High Time) and led us to revisit
Tehamana, the prior name for our boat. It had been docked literally across
the canal from High Time and I'd been aboard during our engine survey on HT.
It didn't show well, but my friend saw it in his boatyard in FTL, where the
owner, his maintenance guy, and the owner's daughter's boyfriend were doing
a three week touchup. Needless to say, it showed a great deal better after
that, as we bought it :{))

As an aside, I communicate with several "identities" aboard this list
privately; their info is entirely protected. I'd welcome such with you, as
the fun we have here aside, I'm sure you're a veritable font of info, and I
expect we'd enjoy each other, whether you ever come sail with us or not
:{)) - and I'd not do an Aragorn, either :{))

So, depending on what we can see with our wifi setup, we'll prolly be
checking in from time to time. The sked here is such that I've not been
able to touch the keyboard for my long-overdue logs since Saint Simons; once
the kids are off, I'll try to make that a priority.

You're right about Coop - nothing doing, but an enjoyable walk, and some
VERY nice pizzas - albeit carryout, something we'd not figured out until it
was presented to us on the porch - from the local who does that. Killer
connection here, too- 20 sites, including one each on Spanish and GTCs, all
but one open. Vonage has been humming as we made flight skeds, girlies
caught up with their parents, and I ordered some zipper parts. Don't always
have a sufficiently strong signal for that pleasure :{))

L8R

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

It's good to hear you didn't get tangled up with Lily Shoal though you
were
close and they do shift some. But being just giant sand washes they
generally don't do much harm should you run up on one. Most of them you
can
just sail over at high water but the water is so clean you'd swear it's
only
a couple feet deep.

Powell is nice, especially the beach on the ocean side. There is also a
nice
beach ocean side on the north end of Powell and a path to it from the
bayside. Good beachcombing on the north beach as it is less frequented.
There is a pretty nice little cliff with a path up to it on the north
central part of the island at the outcrop on the bayside that affords a
great view of the anchorage.

Coopers Town isn't anything special and the anchorage is rough in
prevailing
winds.

I would stop at Manjack Cay aka Nunjack Cay if you have the time. It used
be uninhabited but with mowed off paths and building lots for sale but no
habitation yet. More great beaches on the ocean side with a path from
Nunjack Beach is nice on the Bayside for picnics. There used to be a dock
with enough water for me to tie up to it. You could probably make it to
the
dock as well. I can anchor right off NunJack beach but you might have to
anchor outside the little reef that projects from the south that makes the
little NunJack Beach Harbor. Some cruisers feel their way around NunJack
Rocks and anchor in the little harbor on the north. It's a beautiful place
there.

South of that is Green Turtle Cay. The main anchorage is not too great as
there is lots of faster motorboat traffic going back and forth to the
mainland (Abaco Island). Anchoring in White Sound is more peaceful and
Black
Sound is nice, too. I would definitely spend a day or two at Green Turtle
Cay poking around. New Plymouth is quaint and has all the amenities. I
can
get my boat into Settlement Creek and New Plymouth harbor but it is small
and shallow. You might be able to get FP in there but I'd check it out
with
the dinghy first if I were you.

From Green Turtle you will probably want to take FP on the outside route
around Whale Cay as the inside channel is quite shoal. In settled weather
the Whale Channel outside route is no problem. Don't do it in heavy
weather,
though, as there can be a 'rage' which amounts to breaking waves in the
inlets. Once you transit Whale Cay you'll see Great Guana to the
Southeast.
The north side of the island has Bakers Bay which used to be undeveloped
and
contained the wreckage of an old cruise ship port and the channel was
dredged deep with a turning basin at the end for a cruise ship. When I was
there Bakers Bay was a cruisers anchorage with a path to the great beach
on
the ocean side.

Further south you can anchor in Fisher's Bay north or Delia's Cay and
dinghy
into the Guana Beach Resort where you can walk to the settlement which has
nice little grocery store and you can walk across the island to Nippers to
have a frozen Nippers. You can't NOT visit Nippers as it is world famous.

Have fun.

Wilbur Hubbard

Off to the Bahamas Wayne.B General 50 June 19th 09 03:38 AM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 5th 04 12:42 AM