BoatBanter.com

-   -   GPS Not Recognized (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/108927-gps-not-recognized.html)

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 18th 09 05:05 PM

GPS Not Recognized

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Wayne.B August 18th 09 07:08 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:05:34 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

This doesn't answer your question but I'd suggest giving it a try with
a relatively new (and free) nav package called OpenCPN. I've been
testing it as an eventual replacement for my Maptech OSN and have been
favorably impressed so far. It's an easy install and loads quickly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn/

Edgar August 18th 09 08:14 PM

GPS Not Recognized

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long
time.
I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun of it,
and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am using a
standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every combination
of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate GPS units, but
so
far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I feed it. Any ideas?

Surely you must be missing out on the pleasure of sailing your boat while
you are down below playing with all that hi-tech stuff?

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 18th 09 08:31 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Edgar wrote:

Surely you must be missing out on the pleasure of sailing your boat
while you are down below playing with all that hi-tech stuff?

I guess I never realized that sailing is pleasurable only when one is on
deck. I will have examine the possibility of moving the stove, dining
table, wine locker, and liquor cabinet to the lazarette.

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 18th 09 08:31 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Steve Lusardi wrote:
If one application sees your GPSs, the problem with Offshore
Navigation Light and SeaClearII is clearly not hardware. That stated,
the question is now the new applications. How did you get them? Are
they legal? Do you need an activation code? Do you need a dongle? How
about calling application tech support if you have legal copies.

SeaClear is freeware with an open license. ON Lite is essentially freeware
that Maptech supplied (or still supplies?) with certain chart packages that
are encrypted. It was necessary, for example, to load ON Lite to set up my
Bermuda electronic charts. In both cases these apps are "legal" if I
understand the nature of your comment. Good point, but I am not sure this
is the issue.

thunder August 18th 09 08:57 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 12:05:34 -0400, Armond Perretta wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched to
provide nav data. This setup works just fine and has for a very long
time. I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and SeaClear II for the fun
of it, and it happens that neither program can "see" the GPS data. I am
using a standard USB-to-serial cable and I have tried just about every
combination of port and speed and GPS interface setting on 3 separate
GPS units, but so far no go. Meanwhile the Capn 8.3 can see anything I
feed it. Any ideas?

The USB-to-serial cable *might* have something to do with it. The USB
standard does not include a GPS device, so a proprietary driver is
needed. Capn probably provides them, perhaps, ONL and SeaClear don't.
If you are familiar with telnet, you could telnet the port and see what,
if anything, is being transmitted.

Larry August 18th 09 11:40 PM

GPS Not Recognized

thunder wrote in
t:

[...]

Excellent point. The Cap'n DOES have a USB serial port emulator/driver
that I'm sure is STILL resident on his computer even if The Cap'n isn't
booted. So, The Cap'n's driver is stealing the data away from the port,
no matter what program's running, making a data black hole that these
other programs have no way of accessing from the proprietary driver....

The only way he'd get to see it is if he completely UNinstalled The
Cap'n before installing one of these other crapware freebies, then he'd
probably have GPS info off the open USB port that's not open now with
the Cap'n's driver holding it close.

If The Cap'n works great DON'T SCREW IT UP! Use it to go sailing!

Trying to run several nav programs on that machine is SURE to screw it
up with all the system tinkering they have to go through to get
antiquated NMEA serial data through a computer that doesn't have ports
for it any more.....

--
Larry

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 19th 09 02:59 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Larry wrote:
thunder wrote ...
Armond Perretta wrote:

I have Capn 8.3 running with several GPS units that can be switched
to provide nav data ... I just loaded Offshore Navigator Light and
SeaClear II ... and it happens that neither program can "see"
the GPS ... I am using a standard USB-to-serial cable ... Capn 8.3 can
see anything I feed it ...

[...]

I think you both are onto the explanation. I suspected that something was
hijacking the port so I restarted the machine and did not run Capn, but
instead tried ON Lite and SeaClear separately. Unfortunately that didn't do
the trick as the port still appears to be closed to the other software.
What would happen if I used an additional USB-to-serial converter in another
USB socket? Maybe I'll try the next time I'm at the yard.

Steve Lusardi August 19th 09 05:01 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Armond,
If one application sees your GPSs, the problem with Offshore Navigation Light and SeaClearII is clearly not hardware. That stated,
the question is now the new applications. How did you get them? Are they legal? Do you need an activation code? Do you need a
dongle? How about calling application tech support if you have legal copies.
Steve

Steve Lusardi August 19th 09 05:51 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Armond,
Assuming you are legal, you won't know what the issue is 'till you contact them, but the problem is clearly the App. or its
configuration, not hardware.
Steve

Larry August 19th 09 06:03 AM

GPS Not Recognized

"Armond Perretta" wrote in
:

I think you both are onto the explanation. I suspected that something
was hijacking the port so I restarted the machine and did not run
Capn, but instead tried ON Lite and SeaClear separately.
Unfortunately that didn't do the trick as the port still appears to be
closed to the other software. What would happen if I used an
additional USB-to-serial converter in another USB socket? Maybe I'll
try the next time I'm at the yard.

The Cap'n driver would load and hijack the port on Windows bootup when the
drivers load, not the startup apps. The port is reserved by the driver
very early in the process....

Try this non-destructive change.

Open Device Manager....

Click the + box next to USB Controllers and look for the driver Cap'n has
its name on or some USB-to-Serial driver which may be more generic. I've
never hunted this driver down, myself.

Open any USB controller driver that looks like The Cap'n and look at the
driver's author. There is a selector to DISABLE the driver without
uninstalling The Cap'n, which would free up the port so your other software
could access the USB data coming in. You can always re-ENABLE it to make
it work again for The Cap'n.

OK your way out and remember how you got there, then try the new softwares.

--
Larry

Dennis Pogson[_2_] August 19th 09 10:25 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

You might find something in here, SeaClear Manual MMV En.pdf, part of the
SeaClear file download.

Dennis.

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 19th 09 10:34 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Larry wrote:

Open Device Manager....

Click the + box next to USB Controllers and look for the driver Cap'n
has its name on or some USB-to-Serial driver which may be more
generic. I've never hunted this driver down, myself.

Open any USB controller driver that looks like The Cap'n and look at
the driver's author. There is a selector to DISABLE the driver
without uninstalling The Cap'n, which would free up the port so your
other software could access the USB data coming in. You can always
re-ENABLE it to make it work again for The Cap'n ...

I have 2 identical laptops with Capn and the other software installed on
each. As far as is possible these are identical installations (the idea
being that a complete back-up computer is simpler than reinstalling,
reformatting, etc., in a pinch). I used these computers on a recent cruise
to southern New England and they were fine, although at that time I had not
started messing with ON Lite or SeaClear. BTW these apps were loaded mostly
out of curiosity. I may consider migrating if the support situation with
Capn remains at its current low level (and I started using Capn with its DOS
version in 1993).

On the laptop I'm using right now to type this, there is a complete Capn
install with a USB-to-serial dongle. This setup was in use recently and ran
well, including the interface with the SR162 AIS receiver. I purchased a
"Y" adapter from Milltech that allows me to feed the GPS into the AIS
receiver, which then transmits the combined GPS and AIS data at 38,000 BAUD
to the laptop via the USB-to-serial adapter. A little bit Rube Goldbergy
but it works. Believe me, it was way COOL to get targets and CPA on the
screen, especially in a breeze at night off Montauk. But that's another
subject. Here's some info on the hardware on this box.

The Capn works with the associated USB converter. However I also manage my
home alarm system with this box. The panel communicates with the DLS
software via a serial port, and in the present case I use the same
USB-to-serial converter. And it works just fine. In other words on this
computer, I can run Capn and get GPS data in the afternoon, then take the
computer home and manage the alarm that night. No port hijacking.

Puzzling(?).

Flying Pig[_2_] August 19th 09 05:21 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Hi, Armond,

Others have preceded me but a couple of observations from my point of view
he

Once Cap'n (or any other) is running with the GPS found, it's using that
port. You'd need another USB puck to make them work simultaneously. I
discovered this by trying to use Capn and Maxsea together.

My setup is hardwired to a Serial port, not an adapter, so that's not the
issue...

That said, I had a S/U adapter which should have worked out of the box, but
didn't, for my Pactor modem. I had to use a Knoppix tool to discover who
made it, and from there was able to download the proper driver. Once that
was installed, it worked properly.

So, if you haven't done that, likely the adapter has specific drivers that
are needed. It may be that the Cap'n has those drivers and can make it
happen without their being native in the startup of your computer.

Another anomaly I discovered is that my HD through a powered hub won't
succeed in an Acronis backup. Run directly to a USB port it works fine.
So, even though it's a high quality hub, there's data problems, apparently,
for some applications.

HTH...

L8R

Skip, still refitting, but getting close - Sept 8 we leave with grandkids
for a sea trial to see if they want to go to the Bahamas via ocean with us
the following week (or whenever the right weather window shows up)

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)

Wayne.B August 19th 09 05:37 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 12:21:22 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Skip, still refitting, but getting close - Sept 8 we leave with grandkids
for a sea trial to see if they want to go to the Bahamas via ocean with us
the following week (or whenever the right weather window shows up)

Skip, I would *really*, *strongly* encourage you to wait for the end
of the hurricane season before going offshore. After Nov 1 is usually
a good time.

Larry August 19th 09 08:04 PM

GPS Not Recognized

"Armond Perretta" wrote in news:-
:

Puzzling(?).

Very.

My captain didn't like the USB cord dangling off the chart table, so I
wifi'd the whole system using a Webfoot RS232 (close enough) to Ethernet
adapter on the serial port of the boat's Noland NMEA multiplexer. The
Ethernet is plugged into a Netgear wifi router which creates the boat's
hotspot for all the wifi devices in a wireless LAN, including file sharing,
etc. Webfoot comes with a virtual serial port driver that interfaces with
the wireless LAN to connect itself to the Webfoot over the network, even
across the internet if that's what you need. The virtual serial port can
be any COM port you like in the laptop it's mounted in so when the Cap'n
goes searching for NMEA data it stumbles upon COM3 with NMEA on what
appears, to The Cap'n, as a real serial port hooked to the boat's NMEA
network boxes.

You can even take the laptop to other boats or the Yacht Club nearby and
have "remote control" of the NMEA devices, up to about 200-300' away.

With a charged laptop, or better yet a WinXP netbook with a long running
battery, you can operate the boat's extensive NMEA system laid out in a
beanbag under the genoa with your favorite beverage and snack, hollering
back to the winch slaves in the cockpit, "Prepare to come about!" as you
click a new waypoint for the B&G Network Pilot to steer to on the laptop in
front of you....(c;]

How disgusting.......

--
Larry

Wayne.B August 19th 09 08:22 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:04:35 +0000, Larry wrote:

My captain didn't like the USB cord dangling off the chart table, so I
wifi'd the whole system using a Webfoot RS232 (close enough) to Ethernet
adapter on the serial port of the boat's Noland NMEA multiplexer.

Cool. Sounds like you need 2 WebFoot adapters unless you have a
multiplexer with ethernet out? Is there a provision for multiple
listeners on the same ethernet data stream, using multiple Webfoot
adapters?

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 19th 09 08:58 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Larry wrote:
..

Open Device Manager....

Click the + box next to USB Controllers and look for the driver Cap'n
has its name on or some USB-to-Serial driver which may be more
generic. I've never hunted this driver down, myself.

Open any USB controller driver that looks like The Cap'n and look at
the driver's author. There is a selector to DISABLE the driver
without uninstalling The Cap'n, which would free up the port so your
other software could access the USB data coming in. You can always
re-ENABLE it to make it work again for The Cap'n ...

On both of the laptops I use for navigation, I was unable to find anything
in the USB section of Device Manager that was other than Microsoft-generic.
All the usual standard drivers from about 2001 for USB hubs, etc. However
under the Ports section in Device Manager I located the virtual serial port
whose driver matched the driver I loaded from software supplied by
the manufacturer. I disabled this, but was unable to see GPS data or
capture the port with either SeaClear or ON Lite. I did not yet take a
second USB-serial adapter down to the boat yard and try that angle.

Larry August 20th 09 02:00 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Cool. Sounds like you need 2 WebFoot adapters unless you have a
multiplexer with ethernet out? Is there a provision for multiple
listeners on the same ethernet data stream, using multiple Webfoot
adapters?

The RS-232C port on the Noland is bidirectional. It takes and sends serial
data from the one Webfoot fine.

I don't think you can connect more than one Ethernet user to it at a time.
It's been on the boat and working so long I've forgotten but it doesn't say
that in the pdf on:

http://www.i****chdogs.com/DataSheets/WF111803.pdf

--
Larry

Larry August 20th 09 02:05 AM

GPS Not Recognized

"Armond Perretta" wrote in
:

On both of the laptops I use for navigation, I was unable to find
anything in the USB section of Device Manager that was other than
Microsoft-generic. All the usual standard drivers from about 2001 for
USB hubs, etc. However under the Ports section in Device Manager I
located the virtual serial port whose driver matched the driver I
loaded from software supplied by the manufacturer. I disabled this,
but was unable to see GPS data or capture the port with either
SeaClear or ON Lite. I did not yet take a second USB-serial adapter
down to the boat yard and try that angle.

Let's see if there is data on the port and if we can connect to it.

Open HyperTerminal from the Windows Accessories/Communications and setup to
read the port the NMEA data USB to Serial adapter is using. If NMEA data
is on the port, it will stream across hyperterminal like mad. Turn the
virtual serial port back on to create the COM port for Hyperterminal to
connect to.....Once you get that running and data streaming, these other
programs should see it too, but only one at a time. Only one app can
connect to a serial port at a time.

--
Larry

Armond Perretta[_2_] August 20th 09 10:49 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote:

This doesn't answer your question but I'd suggest giving it a try with
a relatively new (and free) nav package called OpenCPN. I've been
testing it as an eventual replacement for my Maptech OSN and have been
favorably impressed so far. It's an easy install and loads quickly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpn/

I just set this up and it looks quite good. It reads the NOAA vector charts
without a fuss, unlike Capn Voyager. The way things are going with Capn, I
do not see that any effort is being made to update and maintain the product
since its sale in Sep 08 to Star Technologies, so this open source app is an
even better idea. Will test at the boat yard shortly and report. Thanks
for heads up.

Bil August 22nd 09 12:06 AM

GPS Not Recognized

On Aug 20, 5:49*pm, "Armond Perretta" wrote:

Back on your original problem - have you considered a software GPS
data splitter and port emulator, such as Franson GPSGate?

Franson GPSGate avoids the problem of one software app monopolising
the GPS data stream by splitting the stream and providing virtual data
ports including, for example, Garmin ports.

A trial can be downloaded freely from http://franson.com/gpsgate/

Cheers

Flying Pig[_2_] August 26th 09 04:36 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Heh.

At the rate we're going, that might be the reality...

Actually, we're in the homestretch for our refit and redo. About a week,
then a week of relaxation, then a coastal cruise for the second week of
September before we can even look at weather windows...

L8R

Skip

Armond Perretta[_2_] September 5th 09 09:23 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Flying Pig wrote:

Once Cap'n (or any other) is running with the GPS found, it's using
that port. You'd need another USB puck to make them work
simultaneously. I discovered this by trying to use Capn and Maxsea
together.

I have finally been able to get 3 separate charting applications to run (of
course one application at a time) and see the combined GPS/AIS data, but
there is a peculiarity that still occurs. The apps are Capn 8.3, SeaClear
II, and OpenCPN 903 Beta. The system includes the SP 162 AIS engine.

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data (the GPS is routed through the SR 162,
and a single RS-232 connects to the USB-serial converter), each of the
applications can see the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS
targets. However if I next feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR
162 (usually at 4800 BAUD instead of the 38k BAUD used by the AIS device),
only Capn 8.3 can see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

Wayne.B September 5th 09 02:48 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 04:23:19 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data (the GPS is routed through the SR 162,
and a single RS-232 connects to the USB-serial converter), each of the
applications can see the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS
targets. However if I next feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR
162 (usually at 4800 BAUD instead of the 38k BAUD used by the AIS device),
only Capn 8.3 can see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Armond Perretta[_2_] September 6th 09 10:22 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data ... each of the applications can see
the data ... However if I ... bypass the SR 162 ... only Capn 8.3 can see
this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

Wayne.B September 6th 09 02:49 PM

GPS Not Recognized

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 05:22:45 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

Yes, they are off to a good start. I'm hoping that eventually I will
be able to use OpenCPN as a replacement for Maptech Offshore Navigator
which is quite a good package but no longer supported.

Carl[_2_] September 6th 09 06:17 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. *Thanks for putting
me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. *I am trying to keep up
with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers Forum. *These guys are
really going at it and are quite the crew.

Lemme know when you get this straightened out so I can come up for a
day of sailing.

Carl

Armond Perretta[_2_] September 7th 09 05:37 PM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Wayne, I will fiddle with the settings again on Tuesday. Thanks for
putting me onto OpenCPN, which is really a great project. I am
trying to keep up with the fast pace of development on the Cruisers
Forum. These guys are really going at it and are quite the crew.

Yes, they are off to a good start. I'm hoping that eventually I will
be able to use OpenCPN as a replacement for Maptech Offshore Navigator
which is quite a good package but no longer supported.

I will add that I am of the same mind with respect to Capn 8.3. I've used
one or another version since 1993 and have worked with Dennis Mills on a few
things, but the current Capn team (Star Technologies) shows little evidence
that they are really interested in development or support.

Armond Perretta[_2_] September 9th 09 10:50 AM

GPS Not Recognized

Wayne.B wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:

When I use the combined GPS/AIS data ... each of the applications can see
the data and successfully plot the ship and any AIS targets ... if I next
feed the straight GPS signal and bypass the SR 162 ... only Capn 8.3 can
see this data. Both SeaClear II and OpenCPN do not.

OpenCPN may require you to select something other than "AIS Port
(shared)" on the settings menu. Supposedly it will auto detect GPS
data settings, seems to work for me.

I tried just about every combination of settings in OpenCPN but it's still
the case that the combined GPS/AIS signal works for all apps, but the
straight GPS signal is seen only by Capn 8.3. BTW, I am testing Capn 8.3,
OpenCPN, SeaClear II, and something called NavMonPC, which is a sort of data
front-end.