Default AIS and Google Maps mashup

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

In article lutions, Capt. JG wrote:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

That's pretty good stuff.

I can see what that ship is that I can see on the horizon, and even a
picture of it without having to look it up. Not that I'm *that*
interested, but it's quite interesting.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

"Justin C" wrote in message
In article lutions,
Capt. JG wrote:
http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

That's pretty good stuff.

I can see what that ship is that I can see on the horizon, and even a
picture of it without having to look it up. Not that I'm *that*
interested, but it's quite interesting.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Sort of AIS without having AIS....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:z_
reasolutions:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

Where it covers, it covers well and works great.

But, oddly, it lacks coverage on some of the busiest ports in the world.

Case in point, Houston Ship Channel/Galveston Bay and offshore anchorage
area. No coverage at all (block 24)

Vesseltrax does:
http://vesseltrax.com/

My count shows 13 oil tankers anchored offshore of Galveston because the
oil farms are full.

Why is the price of oil steadily increasing again? Makes no sense.

Oil tankers are the purple bubbles. Red are cargo ships.

How would you like to be a poor harbor pilot on THIS crowded channel?
The pressure must be horrendous....

--
Larry

In article ,
Larry wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:z_
reasolutions:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

Where it covers, it covers well and works great.

Here is another one:
http://www.vesseltracker.com

All of these services are dependent on receivers hooked up to the
internet in many locations, and have obviously not yet got full coverage
- as I learned this summer in Norway with a suitably equipped boat.

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
In article ,
Larry wrote:

"Capt. JG" wrote in news:z_
reasolutions:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais

Where it covers, it covers well and works great.

Here is another one:
http://www.vesseltracker.com

All of these services are dependent on receivers hooked up to the
internet in many locations, and have obviously not yet got full coverage
- as I learned this summer in Norway with a suitably equipped boat.

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

Seems less useful... but interestingly different.

The former allows you to add locations, which fits the "open" model.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

In article lutions,
"Capt. JG" wrote:

Seems less useful... but interestingly different.

The former allows you to add locations, which fits the "open" model.

www.marinetraffic.com is from a Greek university, therefore open, which
is what I like too.
www.vesseltracker.com is commercial (German).

As none of them covers everything, it is often useful to have more than
one address, eg if you want to track a certain vessel over a longer time.

Marc