Default Nantucdket Pilotage

Wondering if anyone here has recent information on piloting to Head of
Harbor on Nantucket Island. Was up there once many years ago, but not
since.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:40:47 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Wondering if anyone here has recent information on piloting to Head of
Harbor on Nantucket Island. Was up there once many years ago, but not
since.

I was there about 8 years ago, along with a sailboat that drew about 4
1/2 ft. You'll need some tide with you (hopefully rising) for
anything more than about 3 ft.

Default Nantucket Pilotage

Armond,

I have sailed around Nantucket since I was a boy, my Dad still lives on the
island. I do not know how much Kerry Deare draws but my boat Pacem draws
about 5.5 feet and that is my frame of reference.

You can only get up to before Five Fingered Point on Coatue before you run
out of water but it gets pretty narrow just past Second Point. You can
anchor anywhere there is water but there is quite a bit of tidal current
filling and draining the head of the harbor so be ready to sit to the
current while the wind is abeam. There is also the problem of access to town
when you are that far up the harbor. The Pocomo and Quaise shores are all
private property.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Ansley W. Sawyer wrote:

You can only get up to before Five Fingered Point on Coatue before
you run out of water but it gets pretty narrow just past Second
Point. You can anchor anywhere there is water but there is quite a
bit of tidal current filling and draining the head of the harbor so
be ready to sit to the current while the wind is abeam. There is also
the problem of access to town when you are that far up the harbor.
The Pocomo and Quaise shores are all private property.

The old editions Duncan and Ware had details on the route to Head of Harbor,
and I see that my 2000 edition still includes them. However they are from a
much earlier time. I seem to recall that we took a bit over 4 feet all the
way up in the mid-1980s with tide. That may no longer be a good idea, but
if we feel adventurous this summer we may take a look. I also remember some
sort of eatery up that way, but it's probably long gone. Thanks for the
kind reply.